The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 20.5. Bigger is Better. Rachel Renee's Task: Alliterative Authors Association

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Mar 03, 2011 04:15AM) (new)

Sandy | 15698 comments Mod
20.5. Bigger is Better. Rachel Renee's Task: Alliterative Authors Association

Read any book by an author with an alliterative name!

For example Herman Hesse, James Joyce, or Daniel Defoe would all work, but not Antonio Lobo Antusnes or Jerome K. Jerome (be sure to go by the author's name as it's written on his or her goodreads profile).

Authors with three or more names are fine as long as two consecutive names are alliterative (i.e. Gabriel Garcia Marquez or Lucy Maud Montgomery), and if an author has initials in his or her name like A. A. Milne or George R. R. Martin, that also works.

message 2: by RedSycamore (last edited Mar 07, 2011 04:33AM) (new)

RedSycamore | 95 comments
Approved:

Any author whose consecutive names begin with the same sounds but not the same letters, like Philip Freeman or Kresley Cole

Any book written by more than one author where only one of the authors has an alliterative name.

Any author with a hyphenated alliterative name like Jean-Jacques Rousseau.

message 3: by RedSycamore (last edited Mar 07, 2011 04:33AM) (new)

RedSycamore | 95 comments
Denied:

Authors whose names begin with the same letter but not with the same sound:
Chelsea Cain
Sadia Shepard

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15698 comments Mod
reserved

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7545 comments ohh good one!! now I need to figure out who I want!

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 683 comments So many choices!!! I have a ton from my TBR shelf:

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
The Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani
The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry
Made in America by Bill Bryson
Little Bee by Chris Cleave
Falling Man by Don DeLillo
Heart of the Matter by Graham Greene
Left to Tell: Discovering God Admist the Rwandan Holocaust by Immaculee Ilibagiza
Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson
The Year of Living Bibically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible As Literally As Possible by A.J. Jacobs
From Here to Eternity by James Jones
Ulysses by James Joyce
A Portrait of An Artist As a Young Man by James Joyce
The Herectic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent
The Girls by Lori Lansens
The Giver by Lois Lowry
Of Love and Other Demons by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Pomegrante Soup by Marsha Mehran
Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson
Cost by Roxana Robinson
Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo
The Girl from Foreign: A Search for Shipwrecked Ancestors, Lost Loves, And Forgotten Histories by Sadia Shepard
Let The North Lights Erase Your Name by Vendela Vida
Rain of Gold by Victor Villasenor

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments I have a clarification question…

For the purpose of this task, are you considering the alliteration to derive from the letter only or by the phonetic sound that letter makes?

A couple examples to illustrate my question…

Chelsea Caine – first and last name both start with C but it is a different C sound and arguably not alliterative.

Kresley Cole – first and last name start with different letters but make the same sound so is alliterative, I would think.

I wanted to ask since these authors threw me for a loop as I was scrolling through my list of options. :)

message 8: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments Beth F. wrote: "I have a clarification question…

For the purpose of this task, are you considering the alliteration to derive from the letter only or by the phonetic sound that letter makes?

A couple examp..."

i had the same question!

message 9: by RedSycamore (new)

RedSycamore | 95 comments Beth F. wrote: "I have a clarification question…

For this I would have to say it's all about sound, so Chelsea Cain wouldn't work, but Kresley Cole is fine (along with any author whose consecutive names begin with the same sounds but not the same letters, like Philip Freeman)

message 10: by RedSycamore (last edited Mar 03, 2011 09:33AM) (new)

RedSycamore | 95 comments Thanks for the list, Patricia! I can't believe Don DeLillo didn't spring immediately to mind when I was trying to think of examples for the task description.

The only author I see on there that doesn't work for the challenge is Sadia Shepard.

Sadia Subhan would work or Shepherd Shonhiwa (or even Charlene Sherman) - as long as the sound of the first consonant is the same in both names.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Would P.C. Cast work? not sure with the sound rules. The "C" is for Christine which works with the sound, but she doesn't go by Phyllis Christine, she goes by P.C. I want to read Awakened which was written by her and her daughter Kristen Cast, which works sound wise, but not with letters. Can you clarify? Thanks!

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments Rachel Renee wrote: "Beth F. wrote: "I have a clarification question…

For ..."

Cool. That is what I was thinking as well but wanted to get your feedback. :)

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7545 comments just to check, so Lora Leigh would work, because they are hard L sounds

message 14: by RedSycamore (new)

RedSycamore | 95 comments Amanda Pearl wrote: "Would P.C. Cast work? not sure with the sound rules. The "C" is for Christine which works with the sound, but she doesn't go by Phyllis Christine, she goes by P.C. I want to read ..."

Since the initial is included on her Goodreads profile and Christine and Cast are both a hard C, phonetically, this definitely counts for the task!

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7545 comments ohh, i might jsut got with PC Cast then, because I have a ton of her books on my TBR

message 16: by RedSycamore (new)

RedSycamore | 95 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "ohh, i might jsut got with PC Cast then, because I have a ton of her books on my TBR"

Lora Leigh also works! The only case I can think of where Ls wouldn't be alliterative is for someone with a name like Mario Vargas Llosa - I think his last name is pronounced Yosa?

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7545 comments soo many choices! the PC Cast one fits for another groups challenge, so that might be the one I go with...got to double up my challenges where I can! ;)

message 18: by kiki (last edited Mar 03, 2011 04:29PM) (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments edited out my question!

nm, just saw that i can go with two consecutive names if they have three! :)

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather | 367 comments How about Andre Agassi?

Heather in KS

message 20: by Katelin (new)

Katelin | 70 comments How about Megan McCafferty?

message 21: by RedSycamore (new)

RedSycamore | 95 comments I'll accept both Andre Agassi and Megan McCafferty.

Heather (DeathByBook) (deathbybook) | 8 comments I'm not sure on this one? Cliff Kalibjian

message 23: by Casey (new)

Casey | 71 comments Does Rick Riordan work?

message 24: by RedSycamore (new)

RedSycamore | 95 comments Those will both be fine. (Sorry for the delay, Heather!)

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Hi I think I might change my mind on this one. Does Cassandra Clare work?

message 26: by RedSycamore (new)

RedSycamore | 95 comments Amanda Pearl wrote: "Hi I think I might change my mind on this one. Does Cassandra Clare work?"

She works fine, too!

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Hi I'm changing my mind again lol. Is Kelly Creagh ok? I think her last name is pronounced with the K sound too.

message 28: by RedSycamore (last edited Apr 13, 2011 12:47PM) (new)

RedSycamore | 95 comments Amanda Pearl wrote: "Hi I'm changing my mind again lol. Is Kelly Creagh ok? I think her last name is pronounced with the K sound too."

That works! :)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments would Rick Riordan work?

message 30: by RedSycamore (new)

RedSycamore | 95 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "would Rick Riordan work?"

Definitely :)

message 32: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments How about Karen Quinn?? Those sound the same to me, but thought I'd better check with the expert ;)

message 33: by RedSycamore (new)

RedSycamore | 95 comments I'm gonna say that's okay, too. I pronounce them the same, but that may just be my accent/dialect showing...

message 34: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Thanks Rachel!