The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 20.1. Most Improved Player. Cindy AL's Task: Lassiez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Mar 02, 2011 07:44PM) (new)

Sandy | 15899 comments Mod
20.1. Most Improved Player. Cindy AL's Task: Lassiez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

March 8 is Fat Tuesday - "Lassiez les bon temps rouler" - contrary to popular belief, the modern American celebration of Mardi Gras did not originate in New Orleans, modern Mardi Gras began in Mobile, AL, thanks to one Joe Cain, after the Civil War. I refer you to http://www.squidoo.com/originalmardigras...

To celebrate Mardi Gras pick one of the following choices:

1) Read a book written by an author whose initials are in the following: J,O,E,C,A,I,N,F,A,T,T,U,E,S,D,A,Y. Initials can be in any order, but all initials must be within these four words, that is you can use two Es or Ts, but only one S or N.

OR

2) Mardi Gras has some odd traditions, some unique to Mobile, some shared with our big sister down the coast. We eat king cake, throw moon pies, hand out black roses, wear lovely hats to the Queen's Luncheon and tails are the costume de rigueur at the mystic society balls.

Read a book with one of these words in the title: king, queen, cake, pie, moon, black, rose, hat, tail, mystic, society or ball. Plurals and possessives of the words are OK, so are derivative words if the base word is still spelled as listed, ie, kingdom, pies, moonbeam all acceptable.

OR

3) Read a book by an author with an Alabama connection, see this list: Alabama Authors

message 2: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Reserved for approved books

message 3: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Reserved for the rejects :(.

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15899 comments Mod
reserved

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Wow, so many options. I never knew this about Mardi Gras so thanks for the info!

message 6: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Since Task A seems simple...I'm going to avoid overthinking it.
I want to read a book by Dwain Smith.
Since his initials as D & S -- and both appear above, that is ok right?

message 7: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Christine wrote: I want to read a book by Dwain Smith.
Since his initials as D & S -- and both appear above, that is ok right?

What you see is what you get, Dwain Smith will work.

The intent is to be only one step more complicated than "read whatever you want" so enjoy!

message 8: by Christina (new)

Christina (stinalynne04) If the author has three names, do all three need to match the letters or just the first and last names?

message 9: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Christina asked: If the author has three names, do all three need to match the letters or just the first and last names?

All three need to match if that is the name in Goodreads. For example Orson Scott Card would work, but Edgar Allen Poe would not.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments When i first saw the title of this task, I thought it was a Trueblood task :)

message 11: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Trueblood might be about the only thing that would be hard to fit! You can see where she got the name of the town.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments We had people in the last couple of challenges manage to fit all the Trueblood books to date into challenges :)

message 13: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments We had people in the last couple of challenges manage to fit all the Trueblood books to date into challenges :)

That's true!