Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Brigs, Patricia - Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1); Buddy Read; Mar 01, 2011

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 01, 2011 09:14PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments This topic is open for discussion of Moon Called by Patricia Briggs. This is the first book in our second group series read. Be prepared for SPOILERS
Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs
Description on Goodreads:
Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me, too.

Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbor is a werewolf.

She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself ... and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.

Pages: 304

List of Characters:
Adam Hauptman
Samuel Cornick
Zee
Mercedes Thompson
Jesse Hauptman
Charles Cornick
Darryl
Bran Cornick
Warren
Kyle
Ben
Stefan Uccello

Books in series:
Moon Called book #1
Blood Bound book #2
Iron Kissed book #3
Bone Crossed book #4
Silver Borne book #5
River Marked book #6

Spin off series: Alpha & Omega

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (ladybirdrobi) I just loved this series. I am going to have to look through all my boxes of books to get this series out so that i can reread and follow along.

So how does this work? Do you guys just post your opinions? Is there a Q & A about everyone's opinions? I am still new to the group so to speak so am not sure what to expect.

message 3: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Robin,
Rachel is going to post some questions, but you can pretty much do your own thing. When she posts the questions you can answer all, some, or none of them. It's all a matter of what you feel comfortable with. The questions are merely a means to encourage discussion, because without the input of others we're merely talking to ourselves and we feel silly. Of course now that we have a moderator account I suppose we could use that to actually have a discussion with ourselves. lol But I don't think we'll do that.;) Could be pretty funny though. I can see it now it'd be like in those Looney Tune cartoons where the person has the angel on one side and the devil on the other. One side/account would be singing the praises of the book to heaven while the other would be cursing the book for not having enough bad guys in it and such. Okay, maybe I need to get some sleep. I think I'm getting slap happy. I hope I answered your question somewhere within my ramblings.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (ladybirdrobi) Okay it sounds simple enough, now to nag the hubs to get on a step ladder and drag those boxes of mine closer to my reach so I can play in search of for all the books except River Marked and that one is pre-ordered.

message 5: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I still have to figure out which ones I own and which one I don't so I can put them on hold. I think it's the second and third I need to get.

message 6: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I'm planning on listening to the series after having read the whole series except for the most recent book. Great series.

message 7: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 04, 2011 03:28PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I thought I'd post this it's from the 6th book because it fits the name for this book:
"Werewolves are moon called. They have to change during the full moon, and it is harder for them to control the wolf during that time, too. However, a lot of werewolves only shift during the full moon-two or three days a month. The shift is painful and take s a lot of energy." Page 236 of River Marked (Mercedes Thompson #6)

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Discussion Questions! Sorry, I am a little late.

These questions are simply to facilitate and encourage discussion- you may answer all, some, or none. With that said, I had a hard time coming up with some questions for this novel. Below are the ones I came up with. If you have one you would like to share with the group, let me know and I will add it to the list along with acknowledging who asked the question.

1.) Mercy can smell fear, excitement, and other emotions. She also has super hearing. Would you want any of these enhancements? Why or why not?

2.) Speaking of enhancements...What do you think about the cover of Moon Called? ;)

3.) Do you think what Bran said about Samuel only wanting Mercy as a "mate" was true? Do you think he loves her for more than that?

4.) On page 120, Mercy calls Samuel, "Sam". Samuel begins to calm down and seems like that name evokes deep feelings and memories. What theories do you have about this behavior from Samuel?

5.) Mercy tells Warren's boyfriend, Kyle, that Warren is a werewolf. Do you think Mercy telling Kyle was the right thing for her to do?

6.) Things get complicated at the warehouse...Who was responsible for the experimental medicine, who kidnapped Jesse, etc. Did you have a hard time following what was going on? (I will admit I did and I might still be a little confused)

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin (ladybirdrobi) Good questions,

1. Being hearing impaired the super hearing aspect would definitely be one I'd want. Also I think being able to sense emotions would be a good thing but possibly a confusing thing at the same time. I know that I have felt more than one emotion at a time yet at the same time someone doesn't always convey emotion within their words so I guess i would want that ability as well. But I would probably need lots of practice deciphering all those emotions.

2. I cannot answer this one as I still haven't gotten the books down from on top of my warddrobe where I have all my books packed in boxes to keep themsafe from my hubs dog who likes to pee on my bottom shelves and claim the books as his.

3. I'm not a 100% sure on this one. I do feel that in many ways parents don't always see the whole when looking at a child. I think they tend to segment the whole and only see a portion of said child. I have no children but I have heard it said that a child is different away from it's parents as opposed to how they are within the parent's sight. So using this as a guide I would have to say that Bran was wrong to tell Mercy that "Sam" would only be using her as a way to get the family he lost in the past back.

4. I think we just don't have enough information about Sam and Mercy's past to judge completely but I do think that Sam loves Mercy on a deeper level than Bran is aware of. Because of this depth Sam is able to allow Mercy to be with Adam despite the jealousy that he hides away. This is also why Mercy is able to calm Sam when he becomes to agitated. It is hard to form theories on one's behavior when so much is left unsaid. But I do feel there is a deep connection between Mercy and Sam and it is not totally familial since she was raised with Sam but I don't think it is wrapped up in sexual needs either.

5. Being friends with both Kyle and Warren, it makes it hard on Mercy. I think Warren should haveleveled with Kyle because if you love as deeply as he claimed then there should be no secrets between a couple. Should Mercy have interfered? In the circumstances as I remember it, it was the only thing she could have done to honor both of their friendships and the emotions she was reading from both. Yes it would have been far better if Warren leveled with his mate/lover but since fear got in the way and then his serious injury. Mercy had to step in.

6. I forget the doctor's name but he was a member of Bran's pack but he was the one I believe who was developing the drug. It was his son that kidnapped Jesse. I think that there were just too many stories going on and the switching back and forth did make for difficulty in following along. Yes I think that one needs to have a few plots going especially within a series context. However, I also think that it should have been more cohesive in that maybe there should only have been three or four instead of the number she had. Because we have a. What is going on with Bran's pack. b. What's going on between Sam and Mercy. c. The building relationship between Adam and Mercy. d. The doctor and his drug and why. e. The relationship between Mercy and her Mom. f. Kyle and Warren's relationship and Mercy's involvement there.

Those are my thoughts regarding your questions Rachel. I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Nice answers, Robin. I do feel like a lot was going on in this book, hence why I asked question 6. :) A lot of characters and alternate stories all at once made my head spin a bit. Glad to know I was not the only one who would have liked a little more cohesion! Regardless, I did enjoy the book.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments I realized I did not even answer my own questions. So...

1.) The super hearing would come in really handy. Being a teacher, it would be really nice to hear what they were saying all the time. None of them would be able to get anything by me!

2.) I thought the cover was a little over-the-top, honestly. I do not picture Mercy looking like that at all. Based on the cover, I probably would have never picked this novel up.

3.) I think Sam loves Mercy more than anyone thinks. At first, he might have loved the IDEA of what Mercy could give him, but over time he really did grow to love HER.

4.) I was confused at Samuel's reaction. Mercy did not think much of it, but Samuel did. I wonder if Mercy had called him Sam in the past or if someone else Samuel loved dearly had. I wish I could have found out.

5.) I don't think Mercy should have opened her mouth. I would have rather her told me first that she was going to tell my mate and then I would have decided if I wanted her to or not.

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments As a whole novel, I enjoyed Moon Called. The story line is complex and many things are going on. I ony wish that it would have been a little more organized and explained than it was. I feel like I was left with a lot of little questions that will never get answered.

I enjoyed the way Briggs stayed true to a werewolves character. She kept their super hearing and smell, their strength, and everything else I have learned makes the traditional werewolf. The setting is also perfect for her series.

message 13: by Sans (new)

Sans 1.) Mercy can smell fear, excitement, and other emotions. She also has super hearing. Would you want any of these enhancements? Why or why not?

Definitely not the sense of smell. Too many smells already give me headaches, I can't imagine what having an enhanced sense would do to me. I'd like to be quieter and quicker. That'd come in real handy when I'm trying to escape people I don't want to talk to. ^o^

2.) Speaking of enhancements...What do you think about the cover of Moon Called? ;)

That chick totally doesn't look like the Mercy described in the book (to me at least). *rolls eyes*

3.) Do you think what Bran said about Samuel only wanting Mercy as a "mate" was true? Do you think he loves her for more than that?

I think Bran did them both a disservice, but I think it was the right thing to do. I think Samuel does love her but didn't realize how deeply he felt about her, not just what she could do for him, until Bran separated them. It was cruel, but Mercy definitely needed to grow up and away from Samuel in order to figure out what she really wants too. Love doesn't fix everything, no matter how much we might want it to.

Also, considering how old Samuel really is (which is slightly creepy if I think about it too long), I have to wonder if he really knows what love is anymore. He's watched how many generations of people die around him. He's likely closed himself off from the emotion of romantic love just to keep surviving every day.

4.) On page 120, Mercy calls Samuel, "Sam". Samuel begins to calm down and seems like that name evokes deep feelings and memories. What theories do you have about this behavior from Samuel?

Everyone calls him Samuel, even Bran. By letter that slip, I think Mercy basically told him that he was still under her skin and she still held him separate from the Marrok's pack, special and hers, at least a little bit. She likely called him that when they were going out while she lived with the pack and it proved to him that she still misses him and how close they were.

5.) Mercy tells Warren's boyfriend, Kyle, that Warren is a werewolf. Do you think Mercy telling Kyle was the right thing for her to do?

Absolutely. Given Kyle's background, he knows how much it hurts to be rejected for being "different". And now he knows just how much Warren loves him and how much he was trying to protect him. It will be difficult if they're still together down the road though. When Kyle starts aging and Warren looks the same as he always has? Tough choice to make there.

6.) Things get complicated at the warehouse...Who was responsible for the experimental medicine, who kidnapped Jesse, etc. Did you have a hard time following what was going on? (I will admit I did and I might still be a little confused)

I was absolutely confused and still am. I was wondering if not everything was explained (some larger plot that will be played out in the following books?) or if I was just overtired and not paying close enough attention. It sounds like Gerry was behind everything but playing it from both sides? I guess?

message 14: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sashana and Sans, There is another series put out by Briggs called Alpha & Omega. If you read the anthology On the Prowl there is a short story by Briggs that introduces the series and, if my memory serves correctly, gives you more background on what was going on in that warehouse scenario. If you decide to read Alpha & Omega series make sure to read On the Prowl first. It's a must read IMHO.

message 15: by Sans (new)

Sans I picked up the Alpha & Omega books at Half Price today, along with On the Prowl. ^_^ I'm going to read the short tonight before I go to sleep.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments 1. I'd take those enhancements. I just think it would make life easier, in general at least.

2. I don't like the cover. I don't picture her like that and think it's kinda slutty...and not in a good way.

3. I believe it's true. He sees Mercy as his only chance at having children who will survive. That doesn't mean he doesn't love her because I believe he does, but not in the way a woman wants to be loved.

4. I think he associates 'Sam' with someone he cared about whether it was someone in his past or if Mercy calls him that on rare special occasions that trigger a good memory for him.

5. I think Mercy did exactly what I would've done. Kyle needed to know and no one else would or could tell him. Mercy was under no restrictions and she judged he loved Warren and wouldn't tell anyone about the werewolves. Good call.

6. Ok, this is the only part of the book I thought was crap. What a stupid reason for the entire book's premise. Not only was it stupid, but it was hard to follow. I'm glad I enjoyed everything else about the book, because the whole experimental-medicine-warehouse-thing really pissed me off on how dumb it was.

I was hooked immediately on this series. As soon as I pick up the next book in the series from the library I have to stop everything and start reading. The writing is smooth, the characters interesting and the story draws me into their world. Love it!

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments I agree. I enjoyed the book until the warehouse. Good thing the rest of it was good enough. I would have hated to throw my Kindle across the room. :)

Have you started the next book? I have been wanting to, but have not got around to it yet. Oopsies!

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments Yes. I love this series! I'll be picking up book 4 Monday at the library. :) I'll be posting my thoughts about books 2 & 3 later today.

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Awesome! I am going to have to go find these cheap somewhere online. You are lucky your library has them!

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments I know! I was surprised they did. They're large print, but that's ok. I could get them from Booksfree.com, but my queue there is already almost 500 books. lol

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments 500 books...sounds like my GR TBR shelf...

message 22: by Sans (new)

Sans *cough2,500tbrcough*

Carol, I'm glad you're loving the series too! I'm looking forward to June, I've got the last 3 books listed as part of my challenges.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments LOL, Sans. My TBR on here is 1236. I'm not sure how many of those are cross referenced on Booksfree. :D

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments That's a lot of books to read! Yall better speed it up! Lol, jk. :) For some reason, I am a little bit selective when it comes to adding to my TBR shelf. Maybe I find it a tad bit overwhelming at times? I think I will probably be adding more soon though. I finally have a phone that is capable of running GR pretty well. GR and my old phone was torture. Now I can walk around the library with GR at my fingertips. Uh oh... :D

message 25: by Kristine (new)

Kristine Johnson 1.) Mercy can smell fear, excitement, and other emotions. She also has super hearing. Would you want any of these enhancements? Why or why not?
I would like to be able to smell emotions. Sometimes it is hard to tell how people are feeling and I think it would be helpful to be able to smell the different emotions. I don't think I would want the super hearing. I think I would hear everything and it would be kind of annoying.
I think they made Mercy look way too sexy. That is not how she is in the book but I know that they have to make the cover enticing to get people to pick it up. It would have been more believable if they had left out the fake-looking breasts.
It is kind of hard to tell with Samuel. I think he does just think of her as a mate. He cares for her but I don't really think he is in love with her. The jury is still out on this one.
She probably started to call him Sam when their relationship got serious. It reminds of him of the past.
I probably would have done the same thing. She cares about Warren and wants him to be happy. Warren couldn't tell him without putting both Kyle and himself in danger and I think Kyle was tired of not knowing what is going on. I think it was a good thing to do even though it kind of seems like she is sticking her nose where it doesn't belong.
I had a hard time following this part of the book. There seemed to be other parts in the book that were hard to follow as well. The author's style seems to be to throw things out there without much explanation. She might come back to those things later and explain but by then I might have forgotten certain details.

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) 1.) Mercy can smell fear, excitement, and other emotions. She also has super hearing. Would you want any of these enhancements? Why or why not?

I don't think I would want any of these enhancements. I hear enough,some things I would have rather not heard LOL. I think I like my senses just the way they are :)

I am a cover lover and really like this cover :) A lot of times I judge books by the cover and I know that I have probably missed some really good books because I didn't like the cover!

I'm not really sure about Samuel. He seems a little hard to read at times where other times he is like an open book.

I am wondering if that was what Mercy called him as a term of endearment. Kind of like when we call our spouse or significant other honey, sweetie or whatever. Or if it is kind of like when our parents called us by our first and middle name...we knew we were in trouble or we better calm ourselves down or we would be in trouble LOL

I think it was. Kyle seems to really care about Warren and Mercy cares about Warren and wants the best for them both.

I did have a hard time following what was going on. A lot of stories taking place and switching back and forth between stories. I am hoping that if I continue the series all this non-sense that just occurred at the end of this one will be hashed out independently in the rest of the series. I think I may still be a little confused and may go back and re-read the last half to see if I can make any better sense out of it.

I have only read a couple of other "were" books and in general it is taking a little more time to get used to the concept of the "weres". Maybe it is just me but they seem to be a little more complicated and stranger than the vampires LOL

Overall I enjoyed the book and would like to read more by this author :) Brigg's writing style was a little awkward as I wasn't fond of how and where she decided to explain or not explain things. But I think I will continue with the next book and see how it goes! This was my first run in with a walker...had no idea what a walker was but it was quite interesting. I don't think I could used to stripping down naked in order to change into a coyote but Mercy seemed to handle it quite well.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Moon Called (other topics)
On the Prowl (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Patricia Briggs (other topics)