All Things Jim Butcher discussion

Next series speculation

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (last edited Mar 01, 2011 02:40AM) (new)

Justin (fanlitsjustin) | 23 comments Mod
Since we're in a bit of a Butcher lull at the moment, I thought it might be fun to speculate on what he might be writing next. I believe I remember hearing that he plans on focusing on Dresden for awhile and not starting another series like he did with Codex Alera. Can anyone confirm this? I'd love to see another series from Jim in just about any genre. A Jim Butcher SciFi series? Maybe some horror? What do you think? Baseless rumors, hearsay, and hunches are totally welcome.

message 2: by Patrick (new)

Patrick | 17 comments As long as he does it with a different publisher. The games his publisher has played with his ebook pricing has really p****d me off.

message 3: by Justin (new)

Yeah the e-book pricing is irritating, but Penguin is top of the food chain as far as publishers go. It would take something extremely serious before Butcher and his publisher would part ways.

message 4: by Patrick (new)

Patrick | 17 comments There are *so* many great authors out there with better publishers [or self-published], I just don't read any of his new work until his pricing is reasonable. Changes for eg. is still $12.99. Ridiculous.
I like his work, but I vote with my wallet on this one.

message 5: by Dana (new)

Dana (erato) | 68 comments In recent interviews he did say that Shannon told him to take some time off...something about having to kill him if he didn't. ;)

He did give a short list of things he is considering though.

1) He was considering coming back to Alera like 150-200 years later and visiting the issues with the Vord still living on the Canim continent. He has said before that he wouldn't touch that until later in life though so I think that is a waaaaaay down the line, if ever, kind of thing.

2) Also pertaining to Alera, Jim mentioned an idea for a series about misfit cursors after Ehren takes over the Cursor Academy. Training the first Canim cursor, etc.

3) Mentioned as well, was some 'steampunky' (his phrase not mine) world having to do with avoiding storms or that storms chase you or something of that nature.

4) The last I heard him mention was a science fiction series called US Marshalls. 200 years in the future and people live off planet. They have ceeded from Earth and made what they call the United Systems. The Marshalls are the only ones who know about aliens. He said it is like men In Black crossed with X-men, on the moon, 200 years in the future.

He has lots of ideas rolling in evil genius mind apparently. The thing is though, that if he is really on a project it will probably be the only one he doesn't mention when he is questioned...the turkey.

message 6: by Justin (new)

Thanks for that Dana. I remember vaguely hearing about some of things you mentioned. Of the ideas you mentioned I find the "steampunky" story and going back to Alera the most intriguing. I also agree that whatever he moves to next will be something he hasn't recently openly discussed.

message 7: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Haney (haneyg) | 40 comments Mod
Dana wrote: "The last I heard him mention was a science fiction series called US Marshalls. 200 years in the future and people live off planet. They have ceeded from Earth and made what they call the United Systems. The Marshalls are the only ones who know about aliens. He said it is like men In Black crossed with X-men, on the moon, 200 years in the future.

..."

I attended a book signing for Changes last year where he specifically mentioned this US Marshalls. He said he's been wanting to write a space opera for a while.

message 8: by Dana (new)

Dana (erato) | 68 comments Yes, he used the space opera term in the interview I watched as well. He mentioned that he had been actively writing this story, but then he left the hero, stranded, hovering in space over the moon...with the 'baddies' after him I think. :)

Then he got distracted...