The Manhattan Hunt Club discussion

The Books > In The Dark of the Night (Group Read - March 2011)

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 290 comments Mod
In the Dark of the Night is our March 2011 Group Read. Please feel free to discuss the book in this thread.

In the Dark of the Night by John Saul

message 2: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I'm over half-way through and enjoying this more the second time around :-)

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Hey, Dustin Crazy! This looks like a good read so I will read along.

message 4: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Good! Thanks for joining the group - we can use more active participants so feel free to invite any friends. We are also currently reading The Blackstone Chronicles, although I'm a little behind on those and we'll be reading Shadows in April - they're all good books - at least I thought so when I first read them and it's interesting to see how opinions/impressions change after revisiting a book.

message 5: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Hey Dustin Crazy, What was the Feb book?

message 6: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Lee | 2 comments Hey Dustin! Just got this one from the library. I am a little behind but will quickly catch up!

message 7: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jaime wrote: "Hey Dustin! Just got this one from the library. I am a little behind but will quickly catch up!"

Join in anytime :-) I just finished it.

message 8: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Tracy wrote: "Hey Dustin Crazy, What was the Feb book?"

The Manhattan Hunt Club and January's was The House of Reckoning.

message 9: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

In the Dark of the Night would make a great movie if done right. The setting on the lake could be beautifully horrific :-)

message 10: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

"He still had to at least try and find out what had happened all those years ago when he and Kent and Tad were plagued by nightmares that turned out not to be illusions at all, but twisted refractions of things that had actually happened."
-In the Dark of the Night (Epilogue)

message 11: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

What kind of name is Rusty Ruston? Everytime I'd hear the name on the audiobook it would make me laugh because it seems so stupid. Rusty can't be his given name can it? It would make sense if it was a nick name based on his last name, but using them together is just silly in my opinion. If his parents really named him that, it's the equivalent of Johnny Johnson, Browny Brown etc. It's just silly and I can't get over it.

I'm Rusty Ruston and I'm the Sheriff in these here parts.

message 12: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Mar 08, 2011 10:59PM) (new)

http://www.lizzie-borden.com/

Stay at Lizzie Borden's house - it'll be fun :-)

Since the murders on August 4, 1892 the house has been a private residence. Now for the first time the public is allowed not only to view the murder scene, but is given an opportunity to spend a night (if you dare) in the actual house where the murders took place.

In the morning we invite you to enjoy a hot breakfast reminiscent of the food the Borden’s ate on that fateful Thursday in 1892.

For a unique experience, be our guest for an evening …Lizzie Borden awaits you.

message 13: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Lizzie Borden took an axe
And gave her mother forty whacks.
When she saw what she had done
She gave her father forty-one.

Folklore says the rhyme was made up by an anonymous writer as a tune to sell newspapers. Others attribute it to the ubiquitous, but anonymous "Mother Goose". In reality, Lizzie's stepmother suffered 18 or 19 blows and her father just 11 blows. Even though she was acquitted, Lizzie was ostracized by neighbors after the trial. Lizzie Borden's name was again brought into the public eye when she was accused of shoplifting in 1897.
-from Wikipedia

message 14: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Dustin Crazy wrote: "Tracy wrote: "Hey Dustin Crazy, What was the Feb book?"

The Manhattan Hunt Club and January's was The House of Reckoning."

Thanks, I have House of Reckoning but will need to get Manhattan Hunt Club

message 15: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Dustin Crazy wrote: "http://www.lizzie-borden.com/

Stay at Lizzie Borden's house - it'll be fun :-)

Since the murders on August 4, 1892 the house has been a private residence. Now for the first time the public is all..."

Hey Dustin, I checked out the Lizzie Borden site and it doesn't surprise me that people would pay that kind of money to stay there. I like to read about mysteries and crimes but I don't think I would want to be that close.

message 16: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

and I have no plans to stay in houses that are reportedly haunted either :-) Bad History is bad enough. I won't be reserving a room at Lizzie Borden's house or haunted houses anytime soon.

message 17: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Another good book that has a Lizzie Borden connection is Dean Koontz's The Voice of the Night - I really enjoyed it. The titles seem really similar don't they - In the Dark of the Night and The Voice of the Night?
The Voice of the Night by Dean Koontz

message 18: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Yes, they do. I am still reading In The Dark of the Night. Did it seem a little slow to you? I suppose I am accustomed to reading Koontz.

I cancelled my reservations at the Borden house. Noone wanted to go with me. HA!HA!

message 19: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Well, if you just finished reading a book like Velocity by Dean Koontz and then read In the Dark of the Night, it might seem a little slow :-)

message 20: by Tracy (new)

Tracy I guessed as much.

message 21: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Lee | 2 comments I am really struggling with this book. I find the characters weak and the plot thin. I will keep plugging along with the hope that it gets better.

message 22: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jaime wrote: "I am really struggling with this book. I find the characters weak and the plot thin. I will keep plugging along with the hope that it gets better."

Honestly that's how I felt the first time I read it in 2006 :-) This second time I listened on audio and enjoyed it better.

message 23: by William (new)

William (wmcc) I am about half the way through, It's an okay read.Reading a couple of the previous posts i wasn't sure i was going to like it.The characters are definitely not the most realistic and are a little daft,but i am enjoying the story so far.

message 24: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I think it's better than The House of Reckoning
House of Reckoning by John Saul

message 25: by William (new)

William (wmcc) Just finished this one tonight,I was a little disappointed with this book.Just found it really slow.I was going to give it 2 stars,**spoiler**,but gave it 3 stars due to the brilliant axe wielding maniac ending.

message 26: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

William wrote: "I was going to give it 2 stars,**spoiler**,but gave it 3 stars due to the brilliant axe wielding maniac ending. "

L0L :-D