Q&A with J.A. Konrath discussion

Blake Crouch

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.A. (new)

J.A. A. Konrath | 47 comments Mod
Joe's on-again/off-again writing partner, Blake Crouch (Serial, Serial Uncut, Killers, Draculas, Stirred) will stop in to answer questions.

message 2: by William (new)

William Gouse | 4 comments Thank you Blake. I have really enjoyed your reads.
Good stuff!
Whats next for Lucy? Luther? Will we be seeing Andrew Thomas again anytime soon?
looking forward :~)
Like I said to Joe earlier, I am half way finished w/Draculas and Loving it. Wow!
I am sure that I would not be alone in wanting a sequel here?
Keep up the great works :~)

message 3: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 6 comments Getting ready to read Run. Have to read Killers and Stirred and Serial was so fantastic it's just insane. I could totally see Quentin Tarrantino or Rodriguez filming that.

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Wallace (brendabwallace) | 3 comments My critique partner, Chryse Wymer, is raving about Run, so adding it to my TBR Queue.

message 5: by Chryse (new)

Chryse Wymer (chrysewymer) | 9 comments Woo-hoo! Just read Run, and loved it.

message 6: by Blake (new)

Blake Crouch (blakecrouch) | 4 comments All - thanks for the kind words on RUN!

@William: Joe and I just released Killers, which is the sequel to Serial so check that out, and Andy Thomas is back in my new novella Break You and of course I'll be concluding that series with Joe in Stirred later this year.

message 7: by Blake (new)

Blake Crouch (blakecrouch) | 4 comments Happy to field any questions about what it's like to work with Joe, or anything else on your mine.

message 8: by Chryse (new)

Chryse Wymer (chrysewymer) | 9 comments Any insights you can share about self-publishing would be welcome from me. I loved Run so much I bought it as a gift for a couple other people so if you wanted to share anything about your writing process that you think might help, I would love that. You're so incredibly talented, Blake. I wish you the greatest success in the future! (I know I'll be checking out your other books.)

message 9: by Blake (new)

Blake Crouch (blakecrouch) | 4 comments Thank you, Chryse! God bless you for gifting RUN.....insights into self-publishing....well first off, write the books that you want to read, and start there. Passion for what you write comes through on the page and I believe it earns fans. Beyond that. Write a lot and make the best presentation you can from formatting, cover art, the pitch, your online presence, and exploit as many platforms as you can. Treat it like a business and try to stay grounded in the highs and lows.

message 10: by Chryse (new)

Chryse Wymer (chrysewymer) | 9 comments Well, awesome. I'm off to the right start then, and have the right attitude. The only thing I'm really struggling with is trying to figure out how to do professional cover art on a budget. Some of us live pretty lean, and really *can't* dig $400 out of our couch cushions.

Thank you for writing such a wonderful book. Hope you do it again soon :)

message 11: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 13 comments Chryse -

You can get cover art for far less than $400. I've sold enough CD's at once to have paid for at least half the fee of cover art. I restricted myself to the library for 2 months instead of buying books in order to set aside cash for my wedding dress ($175). Then, I went back and bought most of the books I missed over the subsequent months. I worked an extra shift or two at a restaurant job to cover my wedding shoes. I did some random one-off online work gigs from craigslist to buy the food and drink for my reception. The money is there if you really want to look for it, and you'll be glad you did it once you're done.

Honestly, ALL writers live lean. You just have to decide what is important, and figure out a way to work it out. Have you spoken to any cover artists who are willing to work with you, or come up with a way to pay that you can deal with? Maybe you should try. You could start by emailing me, if you like. :)

Jenna (yes, I do covers and ebook design)
lundeenliterary@gmail.com

message 12: by Chryse (new)

Chryse Wymer (chrysewymer) | 9 comments I got the husband veto on $150 for cover art, no matter how it's paid. I only recently found out my husband has medical debt from before we were married somewhere around $10,000. I'll figure out how to do something gorgeous on my own. I'm in a situation where I have to.

message 13: by Milton (new)

Milton Bagby (miltonbagby) | 10 comments Blake --

I shared the photo of you and JK kicked back, books aflame in the bbq, with my co-workers at Borders. I think that was the week we filed for bankruptcy. I am watching the death of Legacy Publishing at ground zero, and at the same time releasing my first book on Kindle. These are interesting times.

I'm about halfway through "Run" and am really enjoying it. I plan to post a review on my blog and will let you know when it's up. Keep up the good work.

Milton Bagby
Author of "Before I Sleep"
http://bagbyfile.blogspot.com

message 14: by William (new)

William Gouse | 4 comments Blake wrote: "All - thanks for the kind words on RUN!

@William: Joe and I just released Killers, which is the sequel to Serial so check that out, and Andy Thomas is back in my new novella Break You and of co..."

Killers? Wow! I had no idea of the Feb. 19 release on Kindle? I am an avid user of Amazon and the Kindle.
And still...
"Break You"? Is there a way to be notified of these releases?
I wish that I would have known of Killers being released. Since I've been waiting :~)

message 15: by Blake (new)

Blake Crouch (blakecrouch) | 4 comments Sign up for my newsletter at www.blakecrouch.com....I usually update new releases that way. Hope you enjoy!

message 16: by William (new)

William Gouse | 4 comments Blake wrote: "Sign up for my newsletter at www.blakecrouch.com....I usually update new releases that way. Hope you enjoy!"

Excellent! Thank you for the response Blake.
Just purchased both of them w/one click :~)
Gotta love it.

message 17: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 6 comments I know the creatures in Draculas are really more than vampires in a way. Their structure is so different but I thought since both you and J.A. are so great at putting comical moments in things, this thought popped in my head last night at work.
We have these big and I mean BIG chocolate crosses with all the other Easter stuff at work and well I thought how well would those work against a vampire? and if someone took a bite out of the cross would that disable the effect on the vampire? I don't know why I just saw some chunky dude eating all the crosses and then a bunch of vampires attacking him and thought that would be funny in a sick way :o)

message 18: by Milton (new)

Milton Bagby (miltonbagby) | 10 comments Just posted an extended review on my blog for Blake's terrific new novel RUN. See the review at http://bagbyfile.blogspot.com

message 19: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda moreland  | 2 comments i love the jack danails series and Run
i have just started Desart places and would be reading it now if i hadn't found goodreads