Building a SciFi/Fantasy Library discussion

questions > Help me remember a title! PLEASE!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:43PM) (new)

Justin Hyman (whoisthismuaddib) | 1 comments So, Ok. This book tells the tale of a 100 or so years from now Earth. Scientist have discovered the Sun is going to blow out in 500 years and our time left as a species, on Earth anyhow, is going to end in, well, 500 years.
We don't have the technology to send living humans away from earth so we send a bunch of embryos that land on a planet, warm up, and grow. A few year later, on Earth, they figure out FTL and send some full grown humans to that same planet. Power stuggle ensues. Key things I remember: a gun hidden in a vibrator, no one cared about monogamy, a underwater primitive lobsteresque society and that the leader was chosen by who wanted the job the least while still being qualified. I read it in the mid 90s and I believe it was a new book then. Anyone remember?

message 2: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

Heather (adorabubbles) | 4 comments i have no idea but sounds like fun. hope someone here knows!

message 3: by Rob (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

Rob | 19 comments No, but it sounds pretty interesting, especially the gun...

Let us know the title if you come across it.

message 4: by Barry (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:57PM) (new)

Barry | 3 comments If you know about the time the book was written, I may be able to research it. Most of the ideas sound familiar.
Any comment about that gun would get me banned.

message 5: by Randy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:58PM) (new)

Randy (cptnrandy) | 7 comments Your description is close.

The book you're thinking of is Songs of Distant Earth by Arthur C. Clarke.

message 6: by Esther (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:59PM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) Can I continue with another question?

In the early 1980's I read a YA fiction about a young boy who leads a rebellion against the Roman occupiers of England. Can't remember if the boy travelled in time or not.
A memorable scene has him sitting in a tree spying on the Romans and convincing himself they can be beaten by blotting their fort from his sight using a leaf.

Ring any bells? I'd love to know the title

message 7: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:00PM) (new)

Heather (adorabubbles) | 4 comments thanks for the title, randy!