Philosophy discussion

Archives > Reading Frequency?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandysconnected | 14 comments On average, how many books do you tend to read a month? How about a year?

message 2: by CK (new)

CK | 6 comments Are you asking specifically about philosophy or about all types of books?

Rob the Obscure | 261 comments 42 per week (c.f. HHGTTG)

message 4: by Tyler (new)

Tyler  (tyler-d) | 444 comments I read about four books a month, but it depends on how much free time I have. I find philosophy books much slower reading than other kinds because they force you to think closely about what you're reading.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Withered Crone | 8 comments Depends on length and whether the book holds my interest, I can get through between three and four books a month.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

If by "books" you mean any book, I read around 10-15 books per month. Three books, perhaps, if you mean philosophy book.

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 4 comments I don't really NEARLY as much as I used to. I'm lucky if I get through one a month now, when years ago a couple a weeks wasn't unusual. Time, age and other commitments have gotten in the way. And Patrice I'm right there with you. I spent a lot of time earlier in my life reading "fluff" books -- gothic romances, horror, sci-fi; then non-fiction as I've gotten older -- mostly history. I'm always saying I'm going to spend more time reading "classic" works, but I never get around to it.

message 8: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (karenvirginiaflaxman) Patrice wrote: "Not many. I am a slow reader. In fact, when I find myself reading quickly I try to slow down. But that's because I'm reading classics and they are so demanding. If I take a break and read fluff,..."

Patrice, that's a great way to put it - wanting to read books that count rather than counting books! I've always read the so-called "literary" books, was an English Literature major in college, and so developed standards that I tried to apply when choosing books. However, I've gone through periods in my life during which I didn't spend much time reading, and I regret those times. My to-read list here on Goodreads continues to expand and I know I'm not going to be able to read all of these enticing books during my lifetime. I suppose I'm going to have to become more selective in my reading. Is anyone else feeling that they need to really start reading only "the best" these days? Thanks!

message 9: by Tyler (new)

Tyler  (tyler-d) | 444 comments Hi Ellen --

Yes, I usually try to restrict what I'm reading to the best books, or at least the best authors. That still leaves so many possibilities that I then try to narrow my list down according to my current interests. I change my to-read list often because I find that a book I haven't gotten around to yet often doesn't interest me as much as certain other books I've added since. I read books for guilty pleasure every now and then, but those books are usually page turners that don't take much time to knock out.

message 10: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (karenvirginiaflaxman) Yes, I understand, Tyler. I don't look through and change my to-read list currently, but that's not a bad idea at all. Thanks for the suggestion. I sometimes read books as "guilty pleasures", too - say a mystery or a novel that is strictly escapist for me. But that's why there are so many different kinds of books, right? We have so many choices though that it sometimes feels overwhelming! So many books, so little time!! Thanks!

message 11: by K (new)

K (karazhans) | 6 comments I have been, historically, a seasonal reader. Not dependent on the year however, just when my interests cycle through activities and land back on reading. When I get into a reading phase I normally read ~4-6 books a week.

More recently I've been trying to acquire a permanent reading habit instead of spending large blocks of time on the computer. (I've even blocked social and time wasting, sites on my computer after 20 minuets a day save for Goodreads.)