Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moon (new)

Moon http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30...

The Easton Press edition of Moby Dick has 615 pages, not the 123 pages that are listed.

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments Moony wrote: "http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30...

The Easton Press edition of Moby Dick has 615 pages, not the 123 pages that are listed."

You might want to verify the ISBN because WorldCat disagrees.
Looks like this might be a graphic novel version and probably needs to be separated from the other editions.

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments Google ebooks disagrees as well, with reviews stating that the shortened version shortchanges the reader...

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Are there multiple editions of this book by Easton Press? 1977 is on the edge of ISBN adoption and there may have been abridged and full editions by the same press. Moony, do you have the book in hand? Does it have this ISBN? We may need to make an alternate edition for the full/abridged.

message 5: by Steve (last edited Feb 28, 2011 12:57AM) (new)

Steve Wales (stevejwales) | 29 comments The ISBN listed on the goodreads page is incorrect. The edition listed on Worldcat for that ISBN is a French translation/shortened adaptation for 10-15 year-olds. Easton Press is a private press that, I believe, generally does not use ISBNs - I only have one Easton Press edition and that has none, similarly the Folio Society in the UK publishes all their editions without ISBNs. It's in the Easton Press 100 Greatest Books series and would be unabridged, leather-bound, illustrated, 22kt gold page edges and cover decoration and generally posh and expensive (that would be why I only have a second-hand Easton press edition of Jane Eyre from eBay and not the other 99!) - that's the correct cover image on the Goodreads page for that edition.

The page number and ISBN listed for this edition would therefore both seem to be incorrect and are probably as imported as the only changes in the librarian log are a merge and the addition of the cover. The source is Amazon.com, so it is probably from a second-hand copy that was incorrectly listed since these volumes are only sold directly by the publishers.

For some reason Easton press website doesn't seem to be working for me, but I've just checked second-hand listings (again, yay eBay!): no ISBN, 615 pages.

I've updated this edition on that basis. Removed incorrect ISBN (have had to do that where it's been incorrectly imported on Folio Society editions before) and corrected page count.

message 6: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments I've updated the ISBN record with the known information about the abridgment:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

message 7: by Steve (last edited Feb 28, 2011 07:41AM) (new)

Steve Wales (stevejwales) | 29 comments I did some further research and found the correct cover for the abridgment, but little further info. Editions Lito is still around, but this whole series is out of print and not mentioned on their website, so the little info I found is mainly from second-hand sales, but matches what we already know for this ISBN.