SQPN discussion

So What are you Reading for Lent?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Well I decided to go really light and ordered a copy of Lent and Easter Wisdom From Fulton J. Sheen and I also ordered a copy of Magnificat's Lenten Devotional. I also found a copy of Living the Mysteries A Guide for Unfinished Christians that I received for Christmas but did not read. I figure maybe a chapter a day from that too.

message 2: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Vista | 2 comments I ordered The Gargoyle Code, by Fr. Dwight Longenecker--should hopefully arrive in time. Five-star reviews on Amazon (although it's much cheaper to order directly from Fr. Longenecker's website), saying it's the perfect book for Lent.

message 3: by James (new)

James (frjim) | 4 comments Confessions by St Augustine
Lord Have Mercy by Scott Hahn
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

message 4: by Carina (new)

Carina (beloved121) | 3 comments Abandonment to Divine Providence by Jean Pierre de Caussade

message 5: by Carlos (new)

Carlos Torres (catcubano) | 11 comments Mod
Carina wrote: "Abandonment to Divine Providence by Jean Pierre de Caussade"

Me too! ;)

message 6: by Fr. Kyle (new)

Fr. Kyle (colonel4god) | 4 comments Add a third person for

Carina wrote: "Abandonment to Divine Providence by Jean Pierre de Caussade"

message 7: by Maria (new)

Maria (lilmysninja) | 2 comments I pulled three choices and can't decide which one!

1. Understanding the Sacraments, A Guide for Prayer & Study from Ignatius
2. We Pray, Living in God's Presence by Oscar Lukefahr, C.M.
3. The Temperament God Gave You by Art & Laraine Bennett

I'm leaning towards either We Pray or Understanding the Sacraments. I think I'd benefit from Understanding the Sacraments since I'm a cradle catholic recently returned in the past few years. There is still much that I need to learn!

message 8: by Carlos (new)

Maria wrote: " I think I'd benefit from Understanding the Sacraments since I'm a cradle catholic recently returned in the past few years. There is still much that I need to learn!"

I think you've got your answer then. :)

message 9: by Carlos (last edited Mar 10, 2011 07:20AM) (new)

Along with Abandonment To Divine Providence which I noted above, I also picked up a copy of The Gargoyle Code. This one is VERY light reading in the style of the The Screwtape Letters. Funny, yet eye opening, and specifically themed for Lent.

message 10: by Maria (new)

Maria (lilmysninja) | 2 comments Carlos wrote: "I think you've got your answer then. :)"

You are right sir! :) I made my decision about 10 minutes after I posted!

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan Craycraft | 1 comments I am reading Discerning the Will of God by Timothy Gallagher. I have always been interested in the subject of discernment- so far it's pretty good.

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul Dunbar | 1 comments thidls year i decided on "Story of a Soul" by Therese de Lisieux. not sure how it's going to fit with a penetential theme, but I've decided that learning about her would be important.

message 13: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Vista | 2 comments I am reading Surrender! The Life Changing Power of Doing God's Will. If you've read Be a Man!: Becoming the Man God Created You to Be, Surrender is somewhat repetitive...but I think it's still very much worth the read.

message 14: by Carina (new)

Carina (beloved121) | 3 comments I am reading The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. The language is a bit tedious to deal with but the letters are quite thought provoking.

message 15: by Carlos (last edited Mar 14, 2012 07:20AM) (new)

Carina wrote: "I am reading The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis.

I'm actually reading The Gargoyle Code which is similar to what Carina is reading. It is a contemporaneity twist on The Screwtape Letters. It is structured as a Lenten read and I'm really enjoying, not only the comedy but also the thought-provoking message.