Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Looking for Recommendations: Vampires (not PNR)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevenwolbert) | 18 comments What's a good vampire series besides twilight, house of night, and vampire academy?

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 26, 2011 03:50PM) (new)

Night Huntress by Jeaniene Frost is amazing! And Anita Blake by Laurell K. Hamilton, is real good as well, although it's not vamps only.

message 3: by Becca (new)

Becca (goblinfan) | 215 comments Is the Chicagoland Vampire series heavy on the romance? Cause, if it is, I'm not going to bother.

message 4: by Kimmarie (new)

Kimmarie (kimmarie211) | 6 comments The Sookie Stackhouse series is pretty good - it's what True Blood is based on.
Dead Until Dark

message 5: by Mariya (last edited Feb 26, 2011 04:57PM) (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments Becca wrote: "Is the Chicagoland Vampire series heavy on the romance? Cause, if it is, I'm not going to bother."

Actually Chicagoland Vampires is not PNR. It is UF. and we get sexual tension between the hero and heroine. I would recommend it to someone who mostly reads young adult and is trying about adult UF series. sex scene is in book 3 and it is not really heavy romance. I really think you would enjoy it.

message 6: by Becca (new)

Becca (goblinfan) | 215 comments Ok, thanks Mariya. I was really looking forward to Chicagoland Vampires, but when I read that someone considered it PNR...uh-huh. Not for me. I like plot to my books. Thanks.

message 7: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevenwolbert) | 18 comments Do any of those feature a female lead over a male? I love stories with female leads such as the house of night and vampire academy

message 8: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments yea. female leads and yea. PNR is not for me either really. I have only read like 1 or 2 PNR that I really liked. I much perfer UF.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

@ gigi I can't help it! I'm a lost cause, haha.

message 10: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 45 comments The Sookie books have a female lead but she's not a vampire. They are very, very different from the True Blood series. Less sex and gore and all from Sookies point of view. They're very good.

message 11: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevenwolbert) | 18 comments Is pnr twilightish books?

message 12: by Galla (new)

Galla | 32 comments PNR is paranormal romance. Not all of them are Twilightish, but they are romancey. ;)

message 13: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevenwolbert) | 18 comments Romance is awesome but twilight for me equals bored to death so are most pnr as bad as twilight?

message 14: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments it depends on the book. in my opnion I liked twilight and it wasn't boring to me, but it really depends on your taste. what other paranormal romance books have you read or have you just read young adult?

message 15: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevenwolbert) | 18 comments I really read books like house of night, vampire academy, mercy thompson, etc.

message 16: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments those are more urban fantasies. so with romance, but romance is not overpowering the book, which I like as well.

message 17: by Gaynell (last edited Feb 26, 2011 07:05PM) (new)

Gaynell (gaynellk) | 62 comments Steven, since you like urban fantasy, I suggest you try the fever books by Karen Marie Moning. The first book is Darkfever. Another good urban fantasy is the Kate Daniels Series by Ilona Andrews.First book, Magic Bites.

They aren't vampire books. The fever series deals with the fae. Kate Daniels does have vampires but not any that you would like.

message 18: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments If you read Kate Daniels don't give up on the first book, it is the weakest of the series.

message 19: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevenwolbert) | 18 comments I like all UF wether it be fae, werewolf, vampire, or something else entirely. I even right UF because I love the genre so much! Thanks so much for the book advice and any suggestions for good pnr that aren't twilightish?

message 20: by Mariya (last edited Feb 26, 2011 07:18PM) (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments PNR is hard. ummm...I love humorous paranormal romance. they're quick and fun.

how about:
jane jameson series by molly harper
broken heart vampires by michelle bardsley

my only favorite actual PNR is;
Demonica by Larissa Ione

Other series I would give a try is:
Queen of Shadows by Dianne SYlvan (a mix of UF/PNR)
MindaGames by Carolyn Crane
Black WIngs by Christina Henry
Grave Witch by Kalayna Price
Storm Born by Richelle Mead

If you read fever by karen marie moning and like it, I would try her highlander series

and all of these are adult UF/PNR...kk. Let me knoe if you would like some young adult.

message 21: by Galla (new)

Galla | 32 comments Steven, if you like Richelle Mead and haven't read her Succubus or Dark Swan series yet, do check those out. I like them better than VA.

I'll second the recommendations for Kate Daniels and the Fever series. I also quite like the Chicagoland Vampires and Sookie Stackhouse series.

The Iron Duke was one of my favorites of 2010.

message 22: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevenwolbert) | 18 comments Whoa I just noticed a super embarrassing typo for me right instead of write and thanks
Again I'll keep those books in mind. Has anyone read the fallen series and if so is it UF or something else, is it good, and is it worth the read

message 23: by Mariya (last edited Feb 26, 2011 07:20PM) (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments FAllen by Lauren Kate...you either hate it or you love it. I thought it was good, okaiexz...I have no idea wht I would consider it. I'd say PNR/UF. Angel book. I would say it leans torwards PNR

message 24: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevenwolbert) | 18 comments Hmm I like the title of that series. I've heard of the series before I believe. There aren't many succubus stories that arent sex filled rompfests. Sorry for all the typos and such I'm on my iPod(computer is broke) so I'm a little handicapped lol

message 25: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments wait, have you read the night huntress series by jeaniene frost. I would recommend it. To me it is both PNR/UF.

message 26: by Galla (new)

Galla | 32 comments Richelle Mead's adult series do have quite a bit of sex, for sure. I wouldn't call them rompfests, but she certainly doesn't shy away from sex scenes. She does use them in some pretty interesting ways, though!

message 27: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments All of Mead's series are must reads XD

message 28: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevenwolbert) | 18 comments Well I am interested in young adult and adult as long as the story actually has a good plot/isnt all sex and if the sex is there for the plot not just to be a sex scene. The way I see it if I want that I would read erotica no?

message 29: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments I wouldn't read erotica either. But, then yea. all above recommended you should like.

message 30: by Galla (new)

Galla | 32 comments I do read erotica on occasion, but I prefer to have a connection with the characters before they go at it, lol. I wouldn't consider any of the series that have been brought up in this list erotica, though some of them do feature quite a bit of sex.

message 31: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevenwolbert) | 18 comments Does anyone else love how both mead and the casts use the bite of a vampire to cause physical/sexual pleasure in the bitee(and biter in the casts version). I think it's a very interesting idea and a very good thing to add to a UF writer's arsenal.

message 32: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevenwolbert) | 18 comments Okay that comment was confused. What I actually meant was if I wanted just sex in a story I could go read erotica not that I do or anything but in my books I don't want it to go that far(I want a story along with the sex or it just becomes erotica in my opinion).

message 33: by Galla (new)

Galla | 32 comments Nope, I understood what you meant! All of the series I've read from this thread should fall into the "plenty of plot" category for you, I think. :)

message 34: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevenwolbert) | 18 comments Okay then back to my last question what do you two think about the pleasureable bites tool?

message 35: by Galla (new)

Galla | 32 comments Oh, I'm a fan! I like it when authors come up with ways to straddle that line between pleasure/pain and turn it into something interesting.

message 36: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevenwolbert) | 18 comments I completely agree I really like how the very start of VA shows that line by saying "I cried out at the brief flare of pain. Then it faded, replaced by a wonderful, golden joy that spread through my body." she says it hurts her but only for a moment it's interesting. Also what do you mean kindle lend?

message 37: by Galla (new)

Galla | 32 comments Some publishers allow some of their books to be lent out via Kindle. Basically, the borrower sends the lender an email address, the lender fills out a short form on Amazon, and then Amazon sends the borrower a notice that lets them download the book. Some of the limitations:

- Books can only be lent out once. Ever.
- Borrowers have 7 days to accept the book once the lending form has been filled out.
- Once a borrower accepts a book, they have 14 days to read it. It gets automatically taken off the Kindle after two weeks.

message 38: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevenwolbert) | 18 comments Have you lent the succubus books yet? :D if not care to lend them to me I'm a fast reader lol

message 39: by Galla (new)

Galla | 32 comments I borrowed the first one myself, so I don't have that to lend you--I can lend 2-5, though. Maybe try the Kindle Lending Group for the first one? Then, just send me a PM with your email address whenever you're ready to start the second book.

message 40: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevenwolbert) | 18 comments Thanks I joined and posted now
I hope
Someone replies but until the it's time to sleep lmao

message 41: by Betelgeuze (new)

Betelgeuze | 114 comments The Cassandra Palmer series by Karen chance a good series. I would classify it as UF, but it does have romance.

Another series i like is the Sisters of the moon series by Yasmine Galenorn. The series is about three sisters, a whitch, a shapeshifter and a vampire. Each book is told from the pov of a different sister.

message 42: by Ladiibbug (last edited Feb 27, 2011 09:06AM) (new)

Ladiibbug Steven wrote: "I like all UF wether it be fae, werewolf, vampire, or something else entirely. I even right UF because I love the genre so much! Thanks so much for the book advice and any suggestions for good pnr ..."

I'll second the recommend of Larissa Ione's Demonica series - "Buffy Meets E.R.". A unique and amazing variety of supernatural creatures, set at UGH (Underworld General Hospital) ;-). Lots of action. I read #1 two or three times, a rarity for me -- it was that good!

#1 is Pleasure Unbound. There now are 4-6 more in the series.

Another book that rocked my socks off was Staked, #1 Void City series by J.F. Lewis. Eric the vampire is brutal and nasty, but has so many problems ;-). Am going to reread this soon before reading #2 and #3.

My absolute favorite UF read ever is The Vampire Shrink, #1 Kismet Knight, vampire psychologist series by Lynda Hilburn. Kismet is a level headed psychologist in Denver who is counseling patients who believe they are vampires, or who believe there are vampires in Denver. Kismet firmly believes these young people are troubled and/or delusional -- until confronted with a situation which turns her world upside down. So far there are just the two books in the series (#2 is Dark Harvest).

A Rush of Wings, #1 in The Maker's Song UF series by Adrian Phoenix is an AMAZING UF read! 5+++ stars. Click link to see reviews if you like.

message 43: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Mariya wrote: "wait, have you read the night huntress series by jeaniene frost. I would recommend it. To me it is both PNR/UF."

Steven, the Night Huntress series has extended scenes of descriptive s*x (sorry - writing at work). If you don't like to read about that, you might want to avoid that series.

Also, the Demonica series (msg 45) is the same way... lots of descriptive s*x and s*xual acts.

They are both well written, but you may want to consider that before picking them up. Personally, I would put both the Demonica series and Night Huntress series in a the PNR category over UF.

message 44: by Becca (new)

Becca (goblinfan) | 215 comments If you're interested,(or for any one who's interested), The Vampire Files: Vol 3 comes out this month. At least on Kindle anyway, I haven't checked amazon today, yet. Vol 3 should contain books 7 thru 9. I'm definitely keeping an eye out for that one, as I blasted through the first two volumns.

message 45: by Mary (new)

Mary Abshire (maryabshire) Adrian Phoenix is good. Darker paranormal, not so much romance.

message 46: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) ... wouldn't Twilight be considered PNR?

Anywho, John Hartness' Hard Day's Knight features two main character who are vampires. It's pretty much about them just being vampires and kicking ass.

message 47: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments yea, but she read it.

message 48: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) I realize she's read it, but if Twilight is a vampire PNR and you're asking for something that's non-PNR vampire oriented... why list it as an example? It's contradictory to what she's asking for.

message 49: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments good point.

message 50: by Candy (new)

Candy | 26 comments Try the Dante Valentine books by Lilith Saintcrow. They have quite a bit of action and minimal romance.

« previous 1