Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Page Numbering Requests > ISBN 9781841154763 - The Rest Is Noise

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee (deinonychus) | 16 comments The Rest Is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century Another user has previously set the page count so to 591, which is the end of the main body of the book; but the notes, suggested listening, acknowledgements, and index take the page count to 695, and should be the figure used according to goodreads policies. Do I go ahead and change it? I am reluctant to override someone else's edit.

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23216 comments Yes David :)

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard (k3tonan) | 60 comments I am apparently not finding it! Where is the discussion regarding page counting? I have typically if I have the book personally look at the last page number and the last roman numeral number and add them together to get the total pages!

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments The page count policy is here:
http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/82...

It doesn't include the roman numerals from the introduction, but it does include most end material.

message 5: by Richard (last edited Feb 26, 2011 01:11PM) (new)

Richard (k3tonan) | 60 comments Also upon my researching this book I found that it is listed at 640. However the WorldCat has it at 695:

Document Type: Book
All Authors / Contributors: Alex Ross
Find more information about:
ISBN: 9781841154763 1841154768
OCLC Number: 236120279
Notes: Originally published: New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2007; London: Fourth Estate, 2008.
Awards: Shortlisted for Guardian First Book Award 2008.
Description: xviii, 695 p. : ports. ; 24 cm.
Responsibility: Alex Ross.

message 6: by Richard (new)

Richard (k3tonan) | 60 comments Cait wrote: "The page count policy is here:
http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/82...

It doesn't include the roman numerals from the introduction, but it does include most end material."

Thanks!

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (deinonychus) | 16 comments Its definitely 695 pages, and I have changed it accordingly.

message 8: by Richard (new)

Richard (k3tonan) | 60 comments Then WorldCat was correct.

message 9: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Richard wrote: "Then WorldCat was correct."

We often find that the page count imported from Amazon or B&N is incorrect. I find WorldCat to be a very reputable source for page counts, author names, and the original title of a work (if I'm looking up a translated edition.)