Artipathy discussion

Making Art

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim | 362 comments Mod
I know, I'm really lapse on writing anything here, life, art, art and life getting in the way. Speaking of, I was wondering, besides reading about art are any of you making art? I'd love to hear about it and about your process. What inspires you? No judgement here, just plain 'ole creative curiosity.

I'll go first, since I'm starting this thread. I've been studying/doing realistic painting in oils for about seven years (wow, has it been that long already?). I did textile/mixed media work before that for about fifteen years. One day I decided to switch as I had an opportunity to study with a master painter. I learned so much from him, but recently I've been asking myself, "What is MY message?" That's when I decided that there are no rules. Of course, I now have lots of knowledge in my arsenal but I'm starting to break out of the mold. I ordered a couple of books regarding this that I'll post later here, when they arrive and I remember the titles. ;0)

Meantime, if you feel like sharing, please do. Cheers, Kim

message 2: by S. Kay (new)

S. Kay (cobwebs) | 90 comments Other artists are a great inspiration to me. I'll list a few blogs that I've added to my daily intake recently:

http://www.mymodernmet.com/
http://ffffound.com/
http://abduzeedo.com/

My interest gravitate more towards illustration, but there's plenty of inspiration there for everything.

Nature is an inspiration, books, writing, good conversation. For me, the most important thing has been to be immersed and not slack.

I haven't had a lot of opportunity to do my own thing lately since classes steer you certain ways, but I notice that while focused on those things and continuing to talk about it, I do get a lot more ideas.

message 3: by Todd (new)

Todd (tekeller) | 55 comments fffound. com is awesome. I use that too.

Check this out, might be a good way to talk about art.
http://www.googleartproject.com/

You can go to any museum in the world, virtually walk around and look at all the work.

message 4: by S. Kay (new)

S. Kay (cobwebs) | 90 comments Oh wow, that's brilliant. Thanks for the link.

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim | 362 comments Mod
Hey Todd, I've been pretty much floored by that link since they put it out. The detail is just, well, just eye-popping! What a great tool for someone who is doing studies. I wish they would put even more! (Yes, I'm greedy.)

Kay, great links. I was immediately drawn, no pun intended, to Hugo Lugo's mix of drawing and photo. It would be great to see this in real life. I just saw a video of someone walking through one of Van Gogh's paintings that I thought was quite clever. I love it when mediums cross over. As a friend says, and I have recently adopted, "Everything is allowed."

ffound.com sounds cool. I'll have to be more awake before I install anything though. Have you guys installed it or are you just browsing other's images? I tend to find a lot of sites just by looking at links on blogs I like. Here's one that has gotten my repeated attention of late: http://briandettmer.com/ I just can't stop looking at his intricate book sculptures. On the one hand I feel pain that he has cut into a book but on the other hand, I love the incredible universes he has imbedded in them. What a great way to combine word and text! I saw his site first on ttp://www.linesandcolors.com/ one of my old haunts.
Just sent your abduzeedo.com link to a friend so he could see the double exposure photography they show there as he is interested in images within images just now. (A fascinating subject in its own right.)
Isn't the web amazing, a world within a world, within a world where we can share all these ideas and images. Cheers for your input everyone!

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim | 362 comments Mod
Just one more thing, after reading what you said about seeing art giving you ideas, Kay. I do think talking about and doing art with other artists is kind of like a sort of match added to a flame. It can be dangerous at times but also trigger great inspirations. I love to bounce art ideas off of others and see where our heads go. I just heard a podcast here: http://www.illustrationmundo.com/wp/c...
on Barron Storey. I love his Illustrated Journals and how he works out thoughts, feelings, but especially artistic ideas there and then uses them when he has a project to do. This is something I def want to do, get back to journaling and also the idea of play with materials and styles. It's a great way to explore, especially when you are working on other stuff where the parameters are already set.

message 7: by S. Kay (new)

S. Kay (cobwebs) | 90 comments Oh awesome, another podcast to enjoy. Is it on itunes? I can't seem to find it there, but I could be searching wrong. I didn't see a link on the site.

I don't keep up with my journalling like I used to, but I'm trying to get back into it for the same reasons.

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim | 362 comments Mod
Dunno if it's on itunes. I just listen from my computer. Hope you can find it or make it work somehow!

Ok, here's the deal. I'm on this website called http://www.intent.com/. Next time I post an intent I will make it about journaling. Then I'll have to do it! It would be great motivator to share some of our journaling here. Whaddya think?

message 9: by S. Kay (last edited Mar 18, 2011 07:37AM) (new)

S. Kay (cobwebs) | 90 comments Sounds like a good site. I'm on http://www.43things.com/ which seems very similar. The people are super supportive.

I wouldn't mind sharing some... might be good motivation, I agree.

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim | 362 comments Mod
Likin' that one too. I signed up. It's great to be accountable and have the support. Let's see what happens with the journaling thing, no pressure... ;0)

message 11: by S. Kay (new)

S. Kay (cobwebs) | 90 comments I'm "houseofleaves" over there, if you want to connect. No worries if not, some people like to keep their lists private and low key, lol. The support is definitely what's kept me on the site though.

message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim | 362 comments Mod
I stuck to my old favorite, "artipathy". I'll look you up.

message 13: by Kim (new)

Kim | 362 comments Mod
P.S. Beautiful image, a house of leaves...

message 14: by S. Kay (new)

S. Kay (cobwebs) | 90 comments I liked both the image it evokes, and the book it's referencing... "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski. :)

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurajwryan) | 1 comments Hi Kim, I found my way here today while looking for artists... I'm Laura, I'm a painter, a writer, and a photographer. Thought I'd share the link to my art blog "Follow Your Bliss" here:

http://ohdrat.blogspot.com/

(I know, the URL "oh drat" is a funny name, but I was getting frustrated when it seemed all the "blissful art making" combinations that I wanted were already taken so I typed in ohdrat and it was free so I took it...and it makes for a funny story.)

I'm a working artist who still has to hold a day job to make ends meet, it's tough to make time to "follow your bliss" after a long day, and to juggle all the creative outlets that I pursue. I'm also a published novelist too, so it's almost like being double damned in a way (there's no money in it) but believe me, I wouldn't change a thing! I love what I do. My paintings are mixed media abstractions that are inspired by nature, acrylic washes with monotype mark-making with rice paper adhered to canvas. I also love pencil drawing, I do what I call my "meditations", I make random marks and then follow the flow until the whole sheet is covered...they're quite complicated and take a long time to make even tho' they are not very big (I rarely go more than 11 x 14 with them.)

I'll have to look up all the links posted here!

message 16: by Karin (new)

Karin Hi Guys,

It's been awhile I've used this board so this is a good way to introduce myself again.

I'm Karin and I'm an artist too. I paint, make installations (film, soundscape, objects) and collages and like most artists I also have to work beside the arts to make ends meet. I teach art history, art and literature.
My paintings are mixed media abstractions like Laura's (see above). And my collages are based on sky lines of cities. Not existed cities but familiar looking based on the concept of 'Urban Landscapes'. The installations are a combination of projection, film, sound and/or paintings and drawings. Sometimes an installation is combined with personal things and attributes.
The cohesion of rhythm, meditative movement, naturel movement and daily rituals are important themes.
I don't have a blog but I do have a website: www.karinvanbodegom.nl
It's in Dutch but if you go to 'thematiek' there is an English text if you click on the button on the right. The website is a bit old. It's high time it gets a new look but as you probably know that takes a lot of time. :)
Looking forward to meeting you guys too.

message 17: by S. Kay (new)

S. Kay (cobwebs) | 90 comments Hello to both of you!

Can't wait to browse your websites and see what you've been creating. Thank you for sharing them.

message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim | 362 comments Mod
Hey Laura, thanks for sharing your work and your story! I love the texture in your work. It has a very zen quality that appeals to me. And you're a writer too, well more power to you! Anyway, money pays the bills but it doesn't necessarily fill one's heart with joy, so kudos to you for following your dreams. Your url is hilarious. ;0)

I've always said that art is like meditation and here you are combining the two. Way cool that your drawing is your meditation. I think we all need this kind of outlet, just let the mind wander and find where it will go, where it will go....

Looking forward to hearing more from you and your process!

message 19: by Kim (new)

Kim | 362 comments Mod
Hey Karin, thanks for posting your site too! How interesting that you and Laura are both doing textural, abstract work and are yet so different. This is what I love about art, that it is all up to personal interpretation. Totally cool that you are using mixed mediums of sound and painting. If there is something coming up in The Netherlands, could you let me know? I'd love to come check it out. BTW, I couldn't access your portfolio but I did enjoy seeing what could be seen otherwise. If there's somewhere we can see more please feel free to post it!

message 20: by Karin (new)

Karin Kim wrote: "Hey Karin, thanks for posting your site too! How interesting that you and Laura are both doing textural, abstract work and are yet so different. This is what I love about art, that it is all up t..."

Thanks Kim, I will.