Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Same book, but not quite...

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gomez (new)

Gomez Addams | 10 comments Hello everyone from a newly appointed Librarian, already looking for advice on how to deal with a rather unusual case...

Donald E. Westlake's "Dancing Aztecs"...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27...

... features two independent but related plotlines which come together at the very end of the novel.

For some rather mysterious reason, a later, "light" version of the book was published, with the different title "A New York Dance"...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/73...

... where the secondary plot was entirely omitted, and the ending slightly changed accordingly.

Now, this IS the same book, but at the same time it isn't... I don't think it should be merged as "editions", but I believe the oddity should to be pointed out, somehow... maybe just adding a note somewhere, if we can't make a link for what turns out to be a "partial" reprint...

Anyone?

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23145 comments Definitely not combined.

A note can be made from the edit page using 'add libraian note'. Just state that it is only half the other book and shouldn't be combined.

And I'd do the same for the other book also.

And welcome to the wonderful world of librarians :)

message 3: by Gomez (new)

Gomez Addams | 10 comments Thanks, Sandra.

I've already put a note in the description for "A New York Dance", but adding Librarian notes as well for both is a good idea.

Now, here's another matter related to the "same book but not quite" concept, although I understand it's not a Librarian matter...

I'm new to Goodreads but not very new to the "wonderful world of librarians" at large, in fact I've been doing the same "job" for over 5 years at another "bookish" community, and the main reason I started moving here is that the database at Goodreads is MUCH better, except for a couple of rather annoying details...

First, I can't understand why on Earth I'm not allowed to add more than ONE edition of any given book to my shelf, if I own more, and I do, several dozens, in fact, especially books in original and translated versions.

Second, pretty often even same editions of a book can have different covers in reprint, I own dozens of those as well, and again it seems that adding a new cover to an edition is plain impossible, here, and the suggested workaround of creating a "fake" edition with the alternative cover goes against all my librarian instincts...

I'm even more disappointed with all this because, on the other community, the one with the "bad" database, the above issues didn't exist at all, one could add to a shelf as many editions of a book as deemed useful, and adding/using alternative covers only took one click of the mouse...

As I was saying, I realise these are not Librarian matters, there's nothing we can do about it, I guess, but I took a look at the "Feedback" group, and there are threads on these things that go as far back as 4 YEARS, so I'm not even saying anything new, and yet nothing seems to be done about it...

Perhaps some of the more experienced members could give me a quick resume on this? Are there any chances to solve the problems in the near future?

In those immortal words, "How hard can it be?"

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
Gomez wrote: "I can't understand why on Earth I'm not allowed to add more than ONE edition of any given book to my shelf"

You certainly can. http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/71...

message 5: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Gomez wrote: "First, I can't understand why on Earth I'm not allowed to add more than ONE edition of any given book to my shelf, if I own more, and I do, several dozens, in fact, especially books in original and translated versions."

You are allowed to add as many editions of a book as you like to your shelves. Most of those threads you see are due to the confusing nature of the interface for it, I think.

You do this:
1. Add one edition of a book to your shelves as usual.
2. Go to the book page for a different edition of the book.
3. At the top of your review information, it says "review this edition | switch to this edition". Click on "review this edition".
4. Both editions are now on your shelves and can be rated, reviewed, and shelved separately.

Or you do this:
1. Add one edition of a book to your shelves as usual.
2. Go to the editions page for the book (click on "other editions").
3. On the right for each edition, there's the "add to my books" button and a "switch to this edition" link. Use the "add to my books" button.
4. Both editions are now on your shelves and can be rated, reviewed, and shelved separately.

"Second, pretty often even same editions of a book can have different covers in reprint, I own dozens of those as well, and again it seems that adding a new cover to an edition is plain impossible, here, and the suggested workaround of creating a "fake" edition with the alternative cover goes against all my librarian instincts..."

I'm afraid I don't have any good news for this one. The GR database was designed on the idea that one ISBN == one edition == one cover, and having multiple editions with the same ISBN or multiple covers with the same edition would require a major reworking, we've been told.

message 6: by Gomez (new)

Gomez Addams | 10 comments Thanks, Rivka and Cait!

Cait wrote: "You are allowed to add as many editions of a book as you like to your shelves. Most of those threads you see are due to the confusing nature of the interface for it, I think."

I probably should have looked into it a bit further before asking but, indeed, as you say, it's not exactly intuitive...

I called up a different edition of a book, noticed the "add to shelf" button had disappeared and just assumed it couldn't be done.

"The GR database was designed on the idea that one ISBN == one edition == one cover, and having multiple editions with the same ISBN or multiple covers with the same edition would require a major reworking, we've been told."

That's bad news indeed! And yet, the case is certainly not rare, it's in fact quite common, due again to the publishers and editors conspiracy, they don't seem to be able to distinguish between "edition" and "reprint" themselves quite clearly... or, rather, and more likely, it's perhaps because creating new ISBN codes for reprints takes money...

Still, if even them on "the other side" can do it, and their DB is quite a mess, let me tell you, I can't imagine why it's so difficult here... just make the cover field "multiple" and allow the user to pick from a list of contents, that's a basic feature for a DB...

But yes, I know indeed from hard experience that when a DB is badly set-up from the start, corrections are difficult to implement.

So it's grin and bear it again... guess I'll just not add those books at all, for the moment being.