Books on the Nightstand discussion

BOTNS Retreat, Apr. 8-10, 2011 > Retreat Authors Reading Challenge!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Not to toot my own horn, but (beep beep) I have completed three books for the retreat authors challenge:
The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian
The First Paper Girl in Red Oak, Iowa: Stories by Elizabeth Stuckey-French
Something Missing by Matthew Dicks

Next up is Finn by Jon Clinch, then something by Wendy Clinch before the retreat.

(yes I don't have a life)

message 2: by Celine (new)

Celine Keating Why not toot - how did you like the books? And what is a retreat authors challenge anyway? Curious!

message 3: by Marly (new)

Marly | 152 comments Suzanne, what did you think of the books? Any recommendations? I have purchased two books so far from Northshire The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady by Elizabeth Stuckey-French and The Improper Life of Bezellia Grove A Novel by Susan Gregg Gilmore but I have not started either one yet.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Celine: info on the Retreat Author Reading Challenge here: http://booksonthenightstand.com/retre...

Suzanne, toot away! You are trying to be teachers pet, aren't you? (seriously, hope you are having fun!)

message 5: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments I'm in the middle of Double Black, and it's great! I definitely recommend!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I read Something Missing (by Matthew Dicks) when it first came out so now I'm reading Unexpectedly, Milo.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Marly wrote: "Suzanne, what did you think of the books? Any recommendations? I have purchased two books so far from Northshire The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady by Elizabeth Stuckey-French and [bookcover:The Improper ..."

I LOVED The Double Bind and Something Missing; The First Paper Girl.... was ok but I am looking forward to her novel

Ann -- once a teacher's pet, always a teacher's pet :-)

message 8: by Angelina (new)

Angelina (ariellabe) | 7 comments I'm reading Something Missing right now and it's so much fun! Next up is Finn.

I am wondering what's going on with the BOTN website...the Retreat Reading Challenge page is not working properly. Also, when will the live chat happen?

message 9: by Marly (new)

Marly | 152 comments I've finished The Improper Life of Bezellia Grove A Novel by Susan Gregg Gilmore and just finished House Arrest A Novel by Ellen Meeropol both wonderful in their own ways, and I'm currently listening to Kings of the Earth by Jon Clinch and the audio is wonderful so far!!
I cannot wait to meet these authors at the retreat.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Oh no, Ariellabe -- I will go try to fix!

message 11: by Ann (new)

OK, changed the reporting form to a link -- should now be all set for you to report your progress for the prize drawing.

message 12: by Marly (new)

Marly | 152 comments I just started Something Missing by Matthew Dicks and I don't want to put it down. It's very entertaining, so far so good.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Marly wrote: "I just started Something Missing by Matthew Dicks and I don't want to put it down. It's very entertaining, so far so good."

I loved this book. It just gets better.

message 14: by Marly (new)

Marly | 152 comments BTW, House Arrest: A Novel was excellent. I read this book in one day, I gulped it down. I usually don't have the chance to read as much as I want to but yesterday I had the day off and was able to sit and enjoy this book. I loved it, it's the first book by this author but it did not seem like a debut to me. It starts off with the death of two children that are part of a cult set in MA and the story follows the mother of them who is under house arrest and the visiting nurse assigned to care for her during her current pregnancy. A lot is covered in this little gem of a book. I would highly recommend it.

message 15: by Ann (new)

Marly, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Ellie is a bookseller friend of ours and we are so thrilled for her. Also, the case that inspired her book happened in my town (a few family members were our chimney sweeps), so I felt a personal connection to the book.

message 16: by Ann (new)

We just announced the dates of the first two live book discussion chats:

April 28th at 9pm EST to talk about Matthew Dicks' SOMETHING MISSING Something Missing by Matthew Dicks

May 16th at 8pm EST to talk about Jon Clinch's FINN Finn by Jon Clinch

Hope you can join us! Details of where to dial in or log in will be coming a few days before the chats.

message 17: by Angelina (last edited Apr 10, 2011 10:50AM) (new)

Angelina (ariellabe) | 7 comments Well I read the first chapter of Finn and I cringed. I just couldn't handle the "n-bombs." I think it's an automatic reflex; every time I see/hear that word I want to scratch eyeballs out. So I nixed that book.

So I started and it's a trip. My non-bookish Hubster liked what I read to him so far. I am going through this slowly because I have 4 book club reads this month.

I also got but I didn't get too far.

message 18: by Angelina (new)

Angelina (ariellabe) | 7 comments Ann wrote: "OK, changed the reporting form to a link -- should now be all set for you to report your progress for the prize drawing."

Thank you for fixing it. I'm a happy camper again :)

message 19: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments I've made my (very happy) way through Midwives, Double Black, The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady, House Arrest: A Novel, and am currently reading Something Missing!

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Ladd | 29 comments I have read all of Chris Bohjalian's books except for his first two, and am currently loving The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa wrote: "I have read all of Chris Bohjalian's books except for his first two, and am currently loving The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady."

I've almost finished The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady -- it is a wonderfully quirky book that I might not want to end.