The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

GETTING TO KNOW YOU > Reflections on SRC

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4095 comments Hi, everyone. I just have not been able to find a place to share my thoughts on my first experience with the Seasonal Reading Challenge, so here's to a new topic!

First, I have learned a lot of new things - how to find my own posts (fond memory of multiple first posts on Readers Name list), how to read only new posts, the importance of my own records, how to find a friend {:)}, how to find the help thread I needed, where to go for help, and many more things! It was a rocky start but I ended the challenge being quite a bit more comfortable with the logistics of things.

Second, I achieved the goal I had when I joined the challenge. I was seeking motivation for getting reading back into my life. What fun it was! But, I also discovered that I have as much fun finding the books for the tasks as I do reading them. I just love handling books and thinking about books. Still a bit shaky on the research part but, even there, I am getting better and with more practice might find I am good at research too! BTW, I love the links for lists of various kinds on and off of GR.

Third, I have learned a lot about how to use the GR site. Still a novice there, but I am learning and enjoying it. I want to develop my swap bookshelf and create new bookshelves. (My new friends are inspiring me.)

Fourth, I have read books that I might never have picked up just to complete a task and, thus, met new authors I will continue to read. I have also expanded my knowledge of Asia through the books I have read and hope to continue that process.

Finally, thanks to the moderators who have been very patient with my learning curve and for making this such a wonderful group.

Now, my goal is to learn how to balance work, home, and reading better. (I think my husband thought I was married to the books last challenge!)

chucklesthescot I'm always married to the books! I know what you mean...since I discovered goodreads I have made lots of friends and on their shelves I've found books I haven't heard of, new authors to try, new recommendations and boy is my bank balance suffering! It has developed me from a book reader to a book obsessed madwoman and I love it!

message 3: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments Thanks for a very inspiring post! I am just about to start my first SRC and so looking forward to it.

I'm already a book obsessed madwoman ... I'm trying to plan the challenge so that I get to read tons of books from my real-life TBR shelf. But no doubt a few 'rogues' will slip in ...

message 4: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments This is my 7th SRC. I knocked 15 books off my TBR list. However, I added more than I have read.

message 5: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4095 comments chucklesthescot wrote: "I'm always married to the books! I know what you mean...since I discovered goodreads I have made lots of friends and on their shelves I've found books I haven't heard of, new authors to try, new re..."

Money is a bit tight here or at least I don't feel I can spend it on nonessentials. But we have a lot of books in the house that I have not read and I am getting acquainted with my local library again. In fact yesterday (2/26) I treated myself to a 2h stint in the library looking for books to read for Spring SRC and came home with 8! What a lovely time I had considering what I wanted to start on!

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16198 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "chucklesthescot wrote: "I'm always married to the books! I know what you mean...since I discovered goodreads I have made lots of friends and on their shelves I've found books I haven't heard of, ne..."

I love getting books from the library - the feeling of absolutely no risk - if I don't like it, I just return it. My husband and I frequently will pick up books at the library that we think the other might like, since, again, no risk! We're both heavy library users.

message 7: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments I like my library as a structure but hate the people that work there. They don't help you find anything. So when I do need to get a book, I go online to hold it and then when it comes in, I pick it up so I can be in and out.

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7702 comments my library isn't too good with helping you if you have a specific topic you are looking for (that i've noticed)...it took one woman 15 minutes one day to figure out where teh adult graphic novels were that I needed for another challenge. I typically do most of my research online here or just typical websites and then go to the library with a list of books to find - or request them through inter-library loan if my library doesn't have (we are linked in with 13 other libraries in the area). However, I know people who have really good luck with their librarians in locating books - so maybe I just haven't talked to them enough.

message 9: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments I used to work at my library and there are some people who still work there from when I was there so I am wondering if there is still some hostility. I avoided my library for two years after I was wrongfully let go.

message 10: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4095 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "my library isn't too good with helping you if you have a specific topic you are looking for (that i've noticed)...it took one woman 15 minutes one day to figure out where teh adult graphic novels w..."

I must admit that, to save time, I usually look for the book via online at my library first and then go get it. But, this past Saturday, I really enjoyed the time I spent just looking and getting re-acquainted with my local library. It is small but seems to have everything in fair abundance.

message 11: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments I put things on hold too. Our county libraries are all connected so I can pick it up at my preferred branch regardless of which branch has it. My kids take Tae Kwon Do next door so I spend a couple hours about 3x each week reading at the library while my kids are in class.

Bea- thanks for the great post. I find I am competitive with myself and spend way too much time reading to try to finish as many tasks as I can. I too need to find my balance. My cello misses me and some days I'm quite the neglectful wife and mother. I could accomplish tons in the amount of time I spend choosing books and shuffling them around. Oh well!

message 12: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1839 comments I also love my library. All of our county branches are connected so I can go to or request books be delivered to any library. I will check the online listing for availability if I have a specific book for a task but find myself wandering the stacks if I am looking for a specific word in a title. Our staff is mixed. I find most of them are great but there are a few that are not.

message 13: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 78 comments Thank you Bea for pulling the words right out of my head! Thank you to the moderators and seasoned SCR's that graciously helped this rookie through her first challenge. This time (Spring) I have started a plan and hope to go even farther in the points!

I am a library nerd. I am there about twice a week, but with the crazy schedule I have with three active boys, I usually reserve online and do a quick "drop and grab".

message 14: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) I do the reserve online, drop & grab too. The Brooklyn public library system is great, but my local branch (4 blocks from my house) is really small and mostly aimed at children, so it's rare I find much browsing there. But I can place a hold online and have it delivered there. Every once in a while I go to the main branch, which is massive (3 floors or something) and do a few hours of browsing, but since I plan everything for the SRC on a spreadsheet I usually know what I want in advance so I haven't been doing that as much.

Yay for libraries! They really are great.

message 15: by Bea (last edited Feb 27, 2011 08:53PM) (new)

Bea | 4095 comments Lahni wrote: "I Could accomplish tons in the amount of time I spend choosing books and shuffling them around..."

Lahni, that is one of the things I found I enjoyed about the challenge - choosing books for the tasks! For the Spring Challenge I allowed myself a whole day to start my new grid and work on choosing the books for the tasks that are already posted. What fun it was! Am I a book nerd?

message 16: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1839 comments Bea wrote: "Lahni wrote: "I Could accomplish tons in the amount of time I spend choosing books and shuffling them around..."

Lahni, that is one of the things I found I enjoyed about the challenge - choosing..."

Bea join the club we are all book nerds.

message 17: by Christine US (last edited Mar 08, 2011 02:05PM) (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "my library isn't too good with helping you if you have a specific topic you are looking for (that i've noticed)...it took one woman 15 minutes one day to figure out where teh adult graphic novels w..."

I have my library card memorized, that's how much I use the online system. My local branch is like the red-headed stepchild of the county system -- it's not that big and the selection of books is underwhelming...and that's being polite. (the staff leaves a bit to be desired in the 'bright bulb' category too)I have to have almost everything I borrow sent over from another library. But it's free, and I get a notice when it's there -- so it saves me a lot of time:)

message 18: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments I have my library card number saved on the library's online website so I don't have to dig it out. How's that for bad?

message 19: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4095 comments Wow! I am having reading withdrawal tonight! Too late to read more for Winter SRC and too early to start the Spring SRC reading. Oh, wait! Solution! Yippee! I can start a 500+ page book tonight! Yep, that is what I will do. Relief! (sigh)

message 20: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 78 comments Bea wrote: "Wow! I am having reading withdrawal tonight! Too late to read more for Winter SRC and too early to start the Spring SRC reading. Oh, wait! Solution! Yippee! I can start a 500+ page book tonight..."

I have spent the last couple of days planning my Spring Challenge books :)

message 21: by Shannon (new)

Shannon ★ (shann0n) I cannot wait until tomorrow! lol

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7702 comments so do I!! lol! I think when I checked today, I had 22 books out and 5 on hold (mostly audiobooks)

Christine US wrote: "Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "my library isn't too good with helping you if you have a specific topic you are looking for (that i've noticed)...it took one woman 15 minutes one day to figu..."

message 23: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Sadly my library is no use at it doesn't stock urban fantasy, paranormal romance, YA paranormal books or anything about the Tudors printed since The Other Boleyn Girl. And if you want to order a book, whether it is in the library or not, you have to pay for it. So I don't bother going there now. I have to buy what I read though thankfully I have no other vices to spend my limited money on!

message 24: by Barbara VA (new)

Barbara VA (barbarava) I am another "library nerd". I started working in one at 14, as a volunteer so that they would hire me at 16. I picked my college because of its Library Science Masters program but, ended up moving overseas 2 days after getting my bachelor's. So, after my son started in 2nd grade, as our system was not hiring, I worked in a book store instead as a children's buyer! I honestly think I spent more money than I brought home but went to the library for me. I love to browse through all the sections, there are gems on every shelf! For my challenge reading though, I do a lot of reserves and pick up, mostly because I am searching after midnight! I also buy quite a few books, favorite authors I know I will read again and again and old books I cannot find in our system.

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments I love this thread! It's so nice to hear that others share my passion for the SRC. I must admit that I'm not very "good" at them. I've never come even remotely close to completing one, but I love going through my bookshelves at home finding books to fill tasks.

message 26: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Katie wrote: "I love this thread! It's so nice to hear that others share my passion for the SRC. I must admit that I'm not very "good" at them. I've never come even remotely close to completing one, but I love g..."

I'm not sure you need to finish the challenges to be "good" at them (says a person who never finishes them either... LOL...). I just like the fact that I'm exposed to new (to me) books and authors that I may not have picked up, or even been aware of, if it wasn't for the SRC.

message 27: by Stesse (new)

Stesse | 271 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I have my library card number saved on the library's online website so I don't have to dig it out. How's that for bad?"

So glad I'm not the only one! I was able to do the entire last challenge (only missed 2 tasks!!!) entirely through library books & the Friends of the Library used book sale (for when I'm traveling). It was a bit of a challenge when on a waiting list for the more popular books, but for those that I didn't get in time for the winter challenge, I'll just have to find a way to pull them into the Spring one!

message 28: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4095 comments Another good thing that SRC does for me is introduce me to books I probably would not have read. I am reading Starting from Scratch by Rita Mae Brown. This is a book about writing, and, although I would like someday to write again, I really did not expect to enjoy it like I am. What a nice surprise! Thanks, SRC.

message 29: by Christina (new)

Christina (stinalynne04) Stesse wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I have my library card number saved on the library's online website so I don't have to dig it out. How's that for bad?"

So glad I'm not the only one! I was able to ..."

LOL! I have memorized mine now because I type it in so often!

message 30: by M (new)

M (masanobu) | 158 comments Christina wrote: "Stesse wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I have my library card number saved on the library's online website so I don't have to dig it out. How's that for bad?"

So glad I'm not the only one!..."

Ditto! At least I'm not alone on my library love :)

message 31: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 825 comments Me too!

message 32: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments The first few challenges I participated in, I didn't do as well as I wanted. Mainly because I couldn't afford to buy that many books in a three month period. I work in a nearby town about 45 minutes away from where I live and never could get to the library when they were open. Then I found out the library in the town I work, would allow me a membership free since I work in this town. Voila!!! problem solved and I actually finished a couple of challenges. They know me when I walk in now since I usually have several books on hold every couple of weeks. Now all I have to buy are the urban fantasy books, because they just doesn't keep many of those in the library LOL.

Thanks to the moderators for keeping this going with all your hard work and dedication and thank you to all the other members who have giving me some great books to read.

message 33: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Here it is free to join the library and I can borrow books from any library in the county - I don't even have to return it to the same library I took it out from. In addition to my small local library branch there are three others where I occasionally browse and borrow books. I can also look online at the county library catalogue and order books, which are then sent to my local library, and I get an email telling me when they are ready for me to collect. Marvellous - no excuse to buy books really but I still do!

message 34: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16198 comments Mod
Wendy UK wrote: "Here it is free to join the library and I can borrow books from any library in the county - I don't even have to return it to the same library I took it out from. In addition to my small local libr..."

We have the same situation - we have a wonderful online setup, so I can do all my searches online, find the books I want, then put holds on them and have them sent to the nearby branch. Our library also gets lots of extra copies of new books and bestsellers, which they apparently lease temporarily - you can't put holds on them, but you can look online to see which branches have a copy and go there to get the book if you really, really want it right away.

It's a wonderful library system - another thing I love is that they will order books when you request them - I've asked them to order books about 6 or 8 times now, and they've gotten all but one, which wasn't available.

message 35: by Bea (last edited May 15, 2013 01:56PM) (new)

Bea | 4095 comments Resurrecting this thread to say that the past two seasons have been tough ones in my household. Both my husband and I have been diagnosed and treated for cancer. I will finish the radiation this month, in fact! As a result, my participation in this group has suffered. I need a break. So although I will read the threads and keep up with this group, I am planning to not participate as much until Fall.

I have read some this season but have not posted. I am taking 5/24 off (day after my radiation ends) and so, if I do not get my posting done before then, I will catch it up on that day.

BTW, it was fun to read my first post on this thread. A wonderful walk down memory lane. :)

message 36: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "Resurrecting this thread to say that the past two seasons have been tough ones in my household. Both my husband and I have been diagnosed and treated for cancer. I will finish the radiation this mo..."

We'll miss you, Bea, but your health definitely comes first! I wish you the best of luck with the tail end of your treatment and I look forward to your return when you're able. Hopefully, you can keep reading just at a more leisurely pace! Then you can come back and tell us what you've found......... ;-)

message 37: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Bea, I hope for all the best for your health. Sending prayers and hugs your way for whenever you need them.

I've been mostly lurking this session--and I didn't even have a good excuse, except for being tired of coping with recalcitrant computers at reporting time.I'm hoping to come out of retirment on June 1.

message 38: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 371 comments I hope you'll be feeling better soon, Bea, and have time to rest up over the summer.

message 39: by Peebee (new)

Peebee | 486 comments I read a total of two purchased books for the last challenge...all came from the library or Bookswim (which sadly went out of business, but I've been transitioned to Booksfree, and so far so good, I have to say.)

I utilize the online hold system and generally go to the library on Tuesdays, when the new books come out, so I've been able to snag a fair number of books on their first day of release. My library is also part of a statewide ebook consortium, so even though I'm not the biggest ebook fan, I'll read them when I can score a book that I haven't been able to get through the library yet (they're also good when I'm traveling for extended periods and want to lug around as few books as possible.)

I only bought the two books because one was a book I was dying to read and saw it in an airport bookstore right after payday, and the other was one of my very last books for the challenge, and I wasn't into reading the book by that author I had selected.

Bookswim had started to have customer service issues by the beginning of this challenge, so I didn't rely too much on my Bookswim books this time...it will be interesting to see how often I use Booksfree, since many of the paperbacks it offers are also available at my library (but so far, they've done a very good job and sending me ones that aren't at the library).

I've become pretty much against buying books, due to the environmental impact and the space they take up, compared to what is available online. Since I do like reading an actual book, I make sure I get it from a source that reuses the book over and over.

The SRC provides me with a great way to structure my reading, yet it's flexible enough I don't have to spend too much time reading genres I don't care for.

message 40: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 129 comments Bea, best wishes and prayers for your full recovery and for your husband's as well. I know well the toll, both physical and emotional, that cancer treatments can take; I went through them in 2009. Rest and recover and know that you will feel better soon.

message 41: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4095 comments Peebee, I just love my library! And, not only do I enjoy the physical books, but they have an online ebook/audiobook connection also so that I can borrow those type also. I also use paperback bookswap site for low-cost books, and I buy from the library book sales.

The recent hardback sale was 3 days. I did not get there until the last day and ended up with 7 new-like hardback books for $4! They were marked $1 mostly with one marked $2 but the last day was half-price day! I can't wait for the paperback book sale!

message 42: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Bea, best of luck with your and your husband's treatments. Hoping you will be back here in full force very soon!

message 43: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4095 comments Thanks, Connie, Jackie, Lindsey, Donna Jo, and Kristi.

Now that tasks are being posted, the challenge for me will be to stay away! LOL

message 44: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments LOL, that is definitely a huge challenge in itself! It was challenging enough for me just to stay away for one night. I had to make myself go to bed last night in order to avoid staying up until 3 or 4 in the morning - like I've done in the past - planning for the next challenge now that the tasks are posted!

message 45: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Bea, prayers for you and your husband that you are both on the road to recovery!

message 46: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4095 comments Jayme VA wrote: "Bea, prayers for you and your husband that you are both on the road to recovery!"

Thanks, Jayme.

message 47: by Christine PNW (last edited May 20, 2013 05:04PM) (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) This is my first SRC - I just stumbled on your group one random day. I just want to say that I am SO (!!!!) excited and I cannot wait until 6/1 to get started reading. I've downloaded my books to my kindle, found & stacked the PB's that I am reading, and added the two that I need to buy to my wishlist. Now, I just need to get through the next 10 days . . .

message 48: by Ann A (last edited May 20, 2013 05:35PM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 911 comments Christine wrote: "This is my first SRC - I just stumbled on your group one random day. I just want to say that I am SO (!!!!) excited and I cannot wait until 6/1 to get started reading. I've downloaded my books to m..."

Welcome, Christine! It sounds like you're well on your way to becoming an addict like the rest of us!

Bea, good luck to you. Hope you have a happy, healthy summer!

message 49: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4095 comments Thanks, Ann.

message 50: by Lindsey (last edited May 20, 2013 07:58PM) (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Christine wrote: "This is my first SRC - I just stumbled on your group one random day. I just want to say that I am SO (!!!!) excited and I cannot wait until 6/1 to get started reading. I've downloaded my books to m..."

I remember my first reading challenge. I was SO excited too! And I still am each time the new tasks are posted for the upcoming challenges!! Don't forget, if you have any books over 500 pages, you don't have to wait for 10 more days - you can start reading them now, as long as you don't read more than half of any book before the challenge starts.

« previous 1