So Many Great Books So little time discussion

The Immortal Life > Do you think things would have been different if Henrietta would have been white?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Yes, race did play a big part in this. I think that they tried to play on her lack of education to do things wrong. If this were a more educated, affluent white person they would have had better treatment and also would have been informed better to know what was going on.

message 2: by Hilly (new)

Hilly | 14 comments obviously, yes...I mean most facilities wouldn't even treat blacks...it's so sad that this wasn't that long ago. Times were so different then

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Hilly wrote: "obviously, yes...I mean most facilities wouldn't even treat blacks...it's so sad that this wasn't that long ago. Times were so different then"

It's hard for me to even think that people could not get treatment because of their race. I have never looked at someone as a certain race.......I am thankful that I have been raised and that my children are being raised to treat everyone equal as a person!!!

message 4: by Erin E (new)

Erin E (elizamc) I am not sure a poor white woman is only treated marginally better than a black woman in this time frame. and very little has changed I would imagine a woman with a rich husband or a rich woman will be treated better than I would and yet I am ashamed to admit that I am sure I would be treated better than a coloured woman who is in the same tax-bracket as myself - depending of course on where I was living.

It sucks, but that is the reality. Even if things have improved they have still only marginally improved.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I agree Erin you would think with how advanced this country has become that we could get past the race issue.