So Many Great Books So little time discussion

The Immortal Life > Were you bothered when researcher Robert Stevenson said "scientists don't like to think of HeLa cells as being part of Henrietta because it is much easier to do research when you disassociate.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle From my prespective I am not bothered by this. For science to be able to advance as it does they must be able to do their research without any personal involvment. It is much easier to do something if you can not put any personal spin on it.

message 2: by Hilly (new)

Hilly | 14 comments No, me either...not that my example I'm about to give is the same thing but when I had to disect the same cat for two semesters (which I LOVE cats) I had to think of it as something else...I loved the compassion that Christoph showed for the Lacks family and found it interesting that he's now a lead researcher for one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world. I always view those companies as never wanting to find a cure for anything b/c they're making too much $$$ off of sickness.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Hilly wrote: "No, me either...not that my example I'm about to give is the same thing but when I had to disect the same cat for two semesters (which I LOVE cats) I had to think of it as something else...I loved ..."

I did admire Christop he is a true person with human compassion and that is very hard to find with someone in the scientific community

message 4: by Devlynn (new)

Devlynn Allen | 8 comments I was not bothered because I understood in order to do what they thought was right, they must take the humanity away from the cells.