~Opinions~ discussion

Ask > Stereotypes

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

Siareen | 533 comments Mod
Stereotype- social a set of inaccurate, simplistic generalizations about a group that allows others to categorize them and treat them accordingly

there are lots of false stereotypes concerning different groups, may they be religious, ethical, national etc.
from my experience, the stereotypes, which are usually mistaken, about a certain group are usually the root and cause for the mistrust and hatred for said group.

here is a chance for everyone to clear false stereotypes about groups they belong to, or ask is a certain rumor about a group is true or not.

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) Atheists do not worship Satan nor hate God. Nor are we all suicidal wretches because we "have no purpose in life."

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 529 comments I have an anthiest friend!

message 4: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

Jews dont have big noses, aren't power or money hungry, and they arent trying to take over the world, the economy or the internet

message 5: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Muslims aren't terrorists

message 6: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

not every religious person is a religious fanatic. there are different variations of religion, and each believes something else.
oh, not all religion is Christian. [i know this sounds obvious, but most people seem to take Christian ideas and call them the ideas of religious people as a whole]

message 7: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

yup.
oh, and i think I'm going to add that just because someone believes in a certain religion it doesn't mean that they can be held accountable for all the others.

also, having a religion doesnt you blindly follow it.

message 8: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

Lol, i really want some believing Christians to join the discussions. it would be fun debating against them. [from what i've seen in other groups]
out of all the Monotheistic religions, its the most pathetic and shallow in my eyes.

message 9: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

lol :)
sometimes i feel like joining one of them, and enter in a debate with them and laugh at their answers [i know that sounds really hypocritical, but i dont feel it is. chances are you are doing the same to my comments :)
but i would hope for myself that my answers were more then simply "God said, so it must be" and "if you dont believe me, you are going to hell"]

message 10: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

lol, ill look into them :)

sure, why not.

message 11: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

not all british people drink tea at four. or even drink tea... :)

message 12: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) I <3 american accent. It's so awesome!

message 13: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) Siareen wrote: "lol :)
sometimes i feel like joining one of them, and enter in a debate with them and laugh at their answers [i know that sounds really hypocritical, but i dont feel it is. chances are you are doin..."

i'm christian and although i have nothing against debating personal beliefs, I know from personal experience that it goes nowhere and that it leaves a bloody mess behind, so... on this group I'm staying away from religious discussions of any kind. Oh, and I don't think it's hypocritical either, if you don't believe in God, you're probably not going to believe what religious people say about their religion (which is something I think it's obvious)

message 14: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Rightly said. But I can't - no matter how much I try - stay away from a debate. Especially when I have a geat comeback cooking up.

message 15: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

im saying its hypocritical because i DO believe in God, and i am a religious jew...

message 16: by Andrez (last edited Mar 01, 2011 11:38PM) (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) in that case let me just change it a bit.

"if you don't believe Jesus is the messiah, then you're probably not going to believe what a christian person says about their religion. Or about Jesus, in general"

better?

message 17: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

i guess.
but thats the thing really, isnt it?
i have no reason to believe he is the messiah. you are so sure that your religion is the right one, and that everyone else should believe in it. how can you expect that if the only proof of your religion comes from itself?
its one thing to believe in something for yourself, but to think that everyone else in the world should do so to, without any good reason other then that you believe they will all go to hell if they dont, thats something else entirely.
but thats beside the point. my problem with Christianity is more their ideologies and way of thinking...

message 18: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) like what? (not wanting to criticize but being extremely curious)

message 19: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

like the whole 'people are sinners from birth and there is nothing they can do to change that'.
the fact that from what ive seen you believe God loves humans, but only when they believe in his son and otherwise all- powerful God only see's peoples sins and throws the people he supposedly loves into hell, which seems kinda hypocritical.
and i dont agree with the whole 'force people to believe' thing...

please correct me if any of the things i have said are not true

message 20: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) Hmm i don't believe people are born sinners from birth (at least not in the "I'm doomed to go to hell" way, what i do believe is that we are sinners in the sense that after what adam and eve did, we age and we wither and we die and we have that thing that sometimes makes us do bad stuff- I tried to think of a name for that but Im not remembering right now). i don't believe in hell. I've not seen or read anything that makes me clearly believe that theres this place we go after we die. and of course, there's what you said

and this is all i'm going to say religion-wise

message 21: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

Lindsay- your taking Christian ideas again. not all religions are like that.
there is no devil in Judaism. there is the yetzer hara, which is basically the 'voice inside your head' that makes you want to do the wrong thing. have you never felt like you shouldn't be doing something because it is the wrong thing to do but you still really really want to?
the whole concept of hell is different too. nobody knows what will happen after we die, so there are many different points of view in the matter. as a whole though, we believe that when someone dies, there whole life is measured in scales of the good stuff people do and the bad stuff. someone with more bad deeds would go to hell, but there is an opinion that it is only for a certain amount of time and then they go to heaven. there is another that sometimes people get a chance to fix what they did, and their souls come back for a certain amount of time so that they can fix things.
also, there are different levels of Gan Eden [our name for Heaven], the more good things you do, the closer you are to God, and you get a higher portion of Gan Eden.
also, there is an opinion that says that the reason that there are righteous people that have an horrible life and bad people that have a great one is that the righteous people are paying for the few things they have done wrong in their life so that they could get the highest portion of Gan Eden, and the bad people are getting all the reward for the good things they have done in this world, so that in the next they would get their proper punishment.
[no, i am not saying that all people who live comfortabely are automatically bad and vise- versa]
also, we cant tell someone they are going to hell or Gan Eden or anything, because we dont know. we dont know what God decides, if there are things that count more then others, or even if a person is really bad or good. there is a saying that we only see the outside, but God knows a mans mind and heart and knows what he really is.

Stray- that makes more sense. but from what ive seen, thats not what most Christians believe...

message 22: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) yes, that's true, i've noticed that as well, but not every christian religion is the same

message 23: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

lol, sorry. :)

message 24: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) :)

message 25: by Marianna (new)

Marianna | 66 comments Muslims aren't terrorists. All terrorist fanatics who claim they are muslims are shunned by the rest of the faith because muslims believe in peace and nonviolence.

Muslim women are not enslaved or forced to do anything by their fathers, husbands, or brothers. Muslim women are 100% normal human beings.

Just had to give my two cents....

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) You're falling for the No True Scotsman fallacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_...

Teacher: All Scotsmen enjoy haggis.
Student: My uncle is a Scotsman, and he doesn't like haggis!
Teacher: Well, all true Scotsmen like haggis.

Or, more appropriately

Person A: Muslims can't be terrorists.
Person B: This Muslim person was a terrorist.
Person A: Well, no real Muslim is a terrorist.

message 27: by Marianna (new)

Marianna | 66 comments Lauren wrote: "You're falling for the No True Scotsman fallacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_...

Teacher: All Scotsmen enjoy haggis.
Student: My uncle is a Scotsman, and he doesn't like ha..."

Okay...but does that have anything to do with what I said? :)

message 28: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Danes do drink a lot.

Prostitutes aren't nasty no-bodies - they're people like the rest of us, and they have the same positive and negative sides as everybode else.

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) Okay...but does that have anything to do with what I said? :) "

Yeah. You said Muslims, meaning all of them because you put no qualifier, aren't terrorists. But some Muslims are in fact terrorists. So, you're wrong.

message 30: by Ruchi (last edited Mar 07, 2011 09:35PM) (new)

Ruchi (ohlookitsruchi) All Indian people do not speak terrible English with a bad Hollywood accent.

We aren't born tech support gurus, and if you ask me how to fix shit I will do this: Tech Support Cheat Sheet

Not all of us believe in karma, rebirth, or some form of religion. Some of us are actually atheist.

Not all the "new-gen" are spoiled brats with no regard for their culture or traditions.

Morality and religion are not co-dependent.

Q_Q These really get to me.

message 31: by Marianna (new)

Marianna | 66 comments Ruchi wrote: "All Indian people do not speak terrible English with a bad Hollywood accent.

We aren't born tech support gurus, and if you ask me how to fix shit I will do this: Tech Support Cheat Sheet

Not all ..."

haha, love this :)

message 32: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

lol, does anyone else realize how in most hollywood movies, if theres a british person, he/shes either the bad guy or a mean person, and if there is a Jewish person, he/she is the half stupid sidekick/best friend?

[the two examples that jump to mind are the british museum head guy from night in the museum, and ron stoppable from the kim possible disney tv show.]

message 33: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments um. nope, i didnt.

message 34: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments and the asian dude is always the super-smart nerdy guy in the movie.

yet i HAVE noticed that almost every asian in my school is on high honor role.

message 35: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments omg, i totally have noticed that asian thing in movies. its really funny

message 36: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments well, i don't know about funny, but it is ironic...

message 37: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

i know what she means.
lets say group X are very peaceful. then one person that belongs to group X starts a big war and gets a lot of coverage from around the world, and then group X gets the stereotype of being violent.
well, something like that...

message 38: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

i watched most the video, but from what i understood, that wasnt what she was talking about...

i think youve got the main point though.

im talking more about things like this:

remember Bernard Madoff, the Jewish American stock broker and investment advisor was found to have cheated a lot of people out of their money [or something along those lines]
after that, as far as i remember, a lot of people were saying things like 'see, all the jews really are money hungry' etc.
one person got a whole nation a bad name because of one thing he did. is that really fair to the rest of the people?

the same is true for lots of other groups. one person does something bad, and the rest of the group he belongs to is automatically labeled as people who do said thing...

also, this only seems to work with the negative things. ive never heard of someone making a big deal about a good thing someone has done and sticking it to his ethnic/religious/*insert kind of group*

message 39: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

The stereotype of Jews being frugal is a classic one that existed well before the Madoff scandal

it did, but the Madoff scandal made it come back. even if for years the Jews havent done anything of the sort, the moment Madoff came along, people jump on it to prove the old 'theory' is correct.

A ridiculous claim, yes, but Hitler was very convincing and a brilliant speaker, it wouldn't surprise me if he started the stereotype in the first place.

he didnt though. there are caricatures of money- hungry Jews from Communist Russia. and i think its been going on since the middle ages.
Hitler was really the first one that really gave the claim wind...

On the contrary, your statement (especially in western cultures) is often very untrue concerning the public acts of christian figures.

that is probably because the majority of western cultures are Christian, so they search for the good things and hide the bad things to publicize themselves better. i dont think non- Christians try to do the same...

message 40: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

oops, sorry.