For the Love of Reading discussion

Introductions > Take a moment to introduce yourself (if you'd like too)...

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Edgell (laurenedgell) Hello everyone. My name is Lauren. I live in Lancaster, PA. I am the Clinical Coordinator for the Cardiovascular Invasive Specialty Program at Lancaster General College. Other than reading, my hobbies include hiking, scuba diving, and Facebook stalking (just kidding on that last one... I swear)! I look forward to reading with you beginning in March :-)

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Hello my name is Sarah. I live in Johnstown CO. I have a five year-old son. I work in the Centeral Supply ofice of a nursing home. I enjoy being out doors and concerts (and reading of course). Looking forward to reading with you guys!

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Edgell (laurenedgell) Thank you for introducing yourself Sarah!

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (manda_82) Hi ladies. I am Amanda and I live in Sydney, Australia. I work in Health Promotion, specifically working with schools. I love food and books and enjoy talking about both!

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Edgell (laurenedgell) Thanks Amanda! Nice to meet you!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Hi Im Sandi..what caught my attention to your group was NO pressure! Its nice to find a group that if the book dosent interest you or you want to wait for the next one thats "no pressure & not made to feel guilty"
Will there be 2 books ever to choose from..so if one dosent appeal..others can go with the 2nd choice? looking forward to sharing & reading with others!

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Edgell (laurenedgell) Sandi, thank you for introducing yourself. The reason you were drawn to our group is EXACTLY the reason I have started it in the first place. I am glad that there are others who share my same sentiment. I love reading, but we all have busy schedules and individual tastes. I like the idea of there be 2 books to choose from so that we are meeting everyone's taste. We can definitely explore this option. At this point there are only a few of us, which means that we are the ones setting the future of the group in motion. I am ALWAYS open to suggestions from anyone at anytime. How would you go about offering 2 books at once? 2 different polls? And then we would read the winner from both (or either if you only want to read one or the other)? What are your thoughts? Anyone else feel free to chime in!

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah i have been known to read 2-3 books at a time so what ever the group decides is ok with me!

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Edgell (laurenedgell) Great! Thanks for your input, Sarah!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) I know you can do 2 polls and say..two different types of books in the polls..or easier what ever book wins..have runner-up as the second read..have a thread for both, that way there is a choice.. But this can be done when more members come aboard..as you are right there is a small number right now.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (manda_82) If we were to have 2 books per month, I like the idea of having 2 seperate polls with different themes. However I am happy to go with whatever you decide.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) I like that idea too Amanda..different themes for sure!

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Edgell (laurenedgell) That sounds like a great idea! What sort of themes were you thinking? SciFi, nonfiction, etc?

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Im game for anything..except Horror ( I like to sleep at night) We could all suggest 3 books each that we would like to read(nominate) posting with picture & link of book helps too.. that way someone can "I second that book..ect then you as the Mod could pick a book from each of our choices and send out the poll.
What do you think? Anyone have an idea to add?

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I hapen to be a fan of suspence but haven't read anything in that ganera in a wile...

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (manda_82) I think any theme would be suitable as the aim of the group is no pressure. It could be major themes, like classics, sci-fi, non-fiction etc but also maybe things like books with great covers, young authors, books set in a particular country...the options are endless I guess.

So I guess a suggestion from what people are saying is that maybe two themes get selected, we all nominate a couple of books and then we do a poll of nominated books. May have to be adjusted when more members come on board.

Or maybe keep it simple and have a general read that people vote on (like Lauren has done for March) and then in addition to that poll, we each take turns at nominating a theme for the second poll.

Just a few ideas. But happy just to go with what Lauren thinks is best as she has to moderate it. :o)

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Edgell (laurenedgell) I am up for anything. My purpose is for this to be low stress and all inclusive when it comes to decision making. This is what we will do. For this month let's just stick with the one book until I can get used to using the forums and setting things up. Then in April, I will set up one poll and ask for nominations for a genre for the second poll (that way everyone is involved). Does that sound good to you guys?

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Sounds good to me Lauren! :)

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Sounds good to me too!

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (manda_82) Ditto!

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Edgell (laurenedgell) Great!