The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 25.2. Sandy's Task: Your Bucket List

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15678 comments Mod
25.2. Sandy's Task: Your Bucket List

Not that we won’t all live forever………….. but most of us have something that we’d like to make sure we do in our lifetimes.

A. Think of something that’s on your personal “bucket list” and read a book that somehow relates to it. This can be anything you personally want to do (Travel to a particular place? Cook your way through Julia Child? Learn to speak Japanese?) and the book must somehow relate to that. (Parisians: An Adventure History of Paris, Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen or My Life in France, Memoirs of a Geisha). This does NOT have to be something grand and significant (end hunger, achieve world peace), just something that you would like to do. It should be something at least potentially do-able – I’d love to be a kid again and have magical abilities and attend Hogwarts, but I can’t say that that is realistically on my bucket list!

In your post, briefly explain what it is that you would like to do and how the book relates to it.

AND

B. Read a book from the list of 1001 Books to Read Before You Die. Here’s a link to a spreadsheet that lists the updated (2010) version of the list. 1001 Books spreadsheet If you’d like to go to the official “1001” website, here’s the link - http://1001beforeyoudie.com/. I found the spreadsheet easier to use for finding the books on the list.

(If you want, you can download the spreadsheet and keep track of the books you’ve read from the list, but that isn’t required for the task)

If reading this entire list is on your personal bucket list, you can use a second book from this list for Part A.

message 2: by Sandy (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Reserved

message 4: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments For part A I would like to learn to knit. The Blossom Street Series books by Debbie Macomber have a lot to do with knitting? Would this work?

message 5: by Sandy (new)

★Meghan★ wrote: "For part A I would like to learn to knit. The Blossom Street Series books by Debbie Macomber have a lot to do with knitting? Would this work?"

Sure would

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments One of my bucket list things is to go to the harry potter amusement park. can I read a harry potter because of that?

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Amanda wrote: "One of my bucket list things is to go to the harry potter amusement park. can I read a harry potter because of that?"

Oh, that is a good one. I think I am going to take it if it gets okayed. I don't really have a bucket list. Sometimes I come across something and think to myself "I would like to do that one day" but I haven't ever had something that is like "I am going to do this before I die".

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Amanda wrote: "One of my bucket list things is to go to the harry potter amusement park. can I read a harry potter because of that?"

okay

message 9: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Oooohhhh!!! I want to go there tooo!!!!! Oh decisions, decisions!!!!

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments another thing on my bucket list is to go to a wine tasting, so i think Sideways would work.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments and another thing on my bucket list (I have it on my blog http://seaofswords.blogspot.com/2011/...) is to read all of Jane Austen books so any of them would work lol

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Another life goal is to buy something from Tiffanys so Breakfast at Tiffany's or Summer at Tiffany would work.

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments I also want to see The Phantom of the Opera and Les Misérables on Broadway, so their books would work as well. Wow, I have too many choices for this category!

message 14: by Ashlea (new)

Ashlea Daune (ashyydaune) | 45 comments For the second part im going to read Animal Farm which im pretty sure is less than a hundred pages, is that still okay?

message 15: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Just to clarify, for part B, we can only use the books that are in the 2010 version, and not any of the ones that were in the 2006 or 2008 versions and were taken out, correct?

message 16: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments i would love to visit florence, italy someday (sigh...) so could i read A Room With A View for this? the whole first part takes place in florence, though much of it takes place in england. florence plays an integral part in the plot. thanks for your help! :)

message 17: by Sandy (new)

Ashlea wrote: "For the second part im going to read Animal Farm which im pretty sure is less than a hundred pages, is that still okay?"

Your book does have to be at least 100 pages. However, there are a number of editions of Animal Farm with more than 100 pages, so I'd suggest reading one of them!

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Amanda wrote: "I also want to see The Phantom of the Opera and Les Misérables on Broadway, so their books would work as well. Wow, I have too many choices for this category!"

sounds like the hardest part for you will be picking a choice (I'm going to have the same problem, actually!)

message 19: by Sandy (new)

Erin (NY) wrote: "Just to clarify, for part B, we can only use the books that are in the 2010 version, and not any of the ones that were in the 2006 or 2008 versions and were taken out, correct?"

yes, please use the 2010 version.

message 20: by Sandy (new)

kiki wrote: "i would love to visit florence, italy someday (sigh...) so could i read A Room With A View for this? the whole first part takes place in florence, though much of it takes place in eng..."

if Florence is important to the plot, sure.

message 21: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments Sandy wrote: "kiki wrote: "i would love to visit florence, italy someday (sigh...) so could i read A Room With A View for this? the whole first part takes place in florence, though much of it takes..."

super, thanks! :)

message 22: by Leora (new)

Leora | 214 comments What a great task, thank you! I am slogging my way through the list (13.07% done), and use any excuse to slide a 1001 book into a task.

message 23: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments I would like see many places so would Around the World in Eighty Daysby Jules Verne works for A?

message 24: by Sandy (new)

Aleksandra wrote: "I would like see many places so would Around the World in Eighty Daysby Jules Verne works for A?"

yes it would.

message 25: by Juli (new)

Juli (julifabulous) | 63 comments for part a, i'd like to read Eat, Pray, Love as I've never even left the continent, so it's on my bucket list to travel to places on the other side of the world, so would that work?

for part b, I'll read The Handmaid's Tale

message 26: by Sandy (new)

Juli wrote: "for part a, i'd like to read Eat, Pray, Love as I've never even left the continent, so it's on my bucket list to travel to places on the other side of the world, so would that work?"

Yes indeed.

message 27: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments I would like to own a motorcycle one day, so would Unseen work, since in the series her motorcycle is her most prized possession?

message 28: by Sandy (new)

Beth NC wrote: "I would like to own a motorcycle one day, so would Unseen work, since in the series her motorcycle is her most prized possession?"

sure!

message 29: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments I am going to admit something very embarrassing because I want to see if it will work... One thing I want to do before I die is be a princess by eating in cinderellas castle at disneyworld. Yes I know I am a little old but I never grew out of wanting to be a princess. will Princess of the Midnight Ball be ok? I dont really have a bucket list and this one was hard for me to figure out what i want to do before I die. lol

the other book I chose from the must reads before I did is Pippi Longstocking

message 30: by Sandy (new)

Jenn Renee wrote: "I am going to admit something very embarrassing because I want to see if it will work... One thing I want to do before I die is be a princess by eating in cinderellas castle at disneyworld. Yes I k..."

sure, they work.

message 31: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Sandy wrote: "Jenn Renee wrote: "I am going to admit something very embarrassing because I want to see if it will work... One thing I want to do before I die is be a princess by eating in cinderellas castle at d..."

Thanks

message 32: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments I would like to write a novel one of these days. Would A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf work for part A, being about women writing fiction?

message 33: by Sandy (new)

Jayalalita wrote: "I would like to write a novel one of these days. Would A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf work for part A, being about women writing fiction?"

yes

message 34: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Would learning to speak gaelic work (I have the books to learn it, but have been putting it off, lol) for a book set in Scotland or Ireland?

message 35: by Sandy (new)

Melanie wrote: "Would learning to speak gaelic work (I have the books to learn it, but have been putting it off, lol) for a book set in Scotland or Ireland?"

yes.

message 36: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Great thanks!

message 37: by Pollyanna (new)

Pollyanna (polly8) | 114 comments I would like to travel round the whole of America so does Stephen Fry in America work?

message 38: by Sandy (new)

Pollyanna wrote: "I would like to travel round the whole of America so does Stephen Fry in America work?"

sure

message 39: by Joy Marie (new)

Joy Marie | 140 comments I would like to create a beautiful garden in my backyard someday. Would The Snow Garden work since it has the word Garden in the title?

message 40: by Sandy (new)

Joy Marie wrote: "I would like to create a beautiful garden in my backyard someday. Would The Snow Garden work since it has the word Garden in the title?"

yes

message 41: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1494 comments Hi Sandy,

since my bucket list includes sampling wines from wineries in every state in the US, can I use The Chardonnay Charade which is set in a winery in Virginia?

message 42: by Sandy (new)

Sue T wrote: "Hi Sandy,

since my bucket list includes sampling wines from wineries in every state in the US, can I use The Chardonnay Charade which is set in a winery in Virginia?"

Absolutely - and I think this is one to add to my own bucket list, LOL!

message 43: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1494 comments Thanks!