Pulp Magazine Authors and Literature Fans discussion

Specific authors/works > Robert E. Howard

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim, Co-moderator (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 234 comments Mod
I haven't acquired it & don't know that I will, but I see that Del Rey has a new Robert E. Howard book out, "Sword Woman and Other Historical Adventures". I probably have all of REH's stories in one book or another, but this is illustrated by John Watkiss. I'm not familiar with his work, but I googled his name & quickly came up with a number of links & images. He's no Frazetta, but not bad at all.

For more details on the book:
http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/di...

message 2: by John (new)

John Karr (karr) | 62 comments Looks interesting. More REH is always good.

I'm re-reading a bunch of REH's works on my Kindle now. Conan's just sent a helluva lot of arrows down the jungle pyramid (one of the few times he uses a bow, unless I'm mistaken) to the big hyena beasties, ripped the throats of a couple more and tossed another to a bone-crushing demise.

Now it's the winged ape he's scrapping with.

For all his prowess, Conan's not untouchable, which is good.

message 3: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone (28daysearlier) | 10 comments Jim wrote: "I haven't acquired it & don't know that I will, but I see that Del Rey has a new Robert E. Howard book out, "Sword Woman and Other Historical Adventures". I probably have all of REH..."

Never heard of that one...does it have any of his usual heroes?

I've just picked up a collection of Soloman Kane stories. I've read most of the Conan books (both his and the others) and also as many of the Bran Mak Morn books and Kull stories as i could get hold of. I also have a couple of collections Skull-Face Omnibus and Worms of the Earth which i haven't read for an age.

message 4: by Jim, Co-moderator (new)

I don't see a table of contents, so I can't say for certain, but when you say 'usual', I think of Conan, Bran Mak Morn, El Borak, Kull, Dennis Dorgan/Steve Costigan, & Breckenridge Elkins. No to all except possibly El Borak. These are his 'historical' adventures, most of which aren't nearly as well known. Dark Agnes is a French peasant reminiscent of Belit & Valeria of the Conan novels. The men are as tough as Conan, but not usually as big.

I really like his historical adventures & have most of them in other volumes. One of my favorite set of stories by him is the 4 in The Sowers of the Thunder. The first 3 have one time heroes & the last, "Shadow of the Vulture" has Red Sonya in it. I'm not sure if he ever wrote her into any other stories or not. She's a lot like Dark Agnes.

message 5: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone (28daysearlier) | 10 comments I'll look out for those.

message 6: by Jim, Co-moderator (new)

If you're really interested in Howard's works, I have an Excel spreadsheet with all his stories & poems listed in 2 different tabs. Other tabs list what books I have, the stories they contain & such. You'd just have to wipe out my stuff & could keep your own. PM me your email address if you're interested. Most of the information is taken from
http://www.howardworks.com/

I know it seems pretty geeky to have an entire spreadsheet for an author complete with hyperlinks, but his stuff has been repackaged so many times that it is tough to keep up with which stories I have & where. He wrote over 600 short stories & more poems than that. I'm not interested in tracking his poetry, but I am in his stories. I have about 250 of his stories & there are about 60 on the list that I won't bother getting, so I still have a ways to go...

message 7: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Darlage | 6 comments I read "Sword Woman and Other Historical Adventures." It has the following stories:

A Thousand Years Ago
Blades for France
Gates of Empire
Hawks of Outremer
Hawks over Egypt
Lord of Samarcand
Mistress of Death
Recap of Harold Lamb's "The Wolf Chaser"
Red Blades of Black Cathay
Spears of Clontarf
Sword Woman
The Blood of Belshazzar
The Lion of Tiberias
The Outgoing of Sigurd the Jerusalem-Farer
The Road of Azrael
The Road of the Eagles
The Shadow of the Vulture (Red Sonya)
The Sign of the Sickle
The Skull in the Clouds
The Slave Princess (fragment)
The Slave Princess (synopsis)
The Sowers of the Thunder
The Track of Bohemund
Timur-lang
Untitled "He knew de Bracy"
Untitled "The Persians had all fled"
Untitled "The wind from the Mediterranean"

Jim, I have a similar Excel spreadsheet - but without the hyperlinks. I'd be interested in seeing yours if you're interested in sharing it.

message 8: by Jim, Co-moderator (new)

Anyone who wants my spreadsheet, just PM me your email address & I'll send it along.

Vincent, I'd like to see yours, too. It might give me some ideas for changing mine. Thanks for the TOC of 'Sword Woman & ...".

message 9: by Tyrone (last edited Nov 21, 2011 04:06PM) (new)

Tyrone (28daysearlier) | 10 comments I was going through another box of books this afternoon and turned up some more collections containing REH's work i had forgotten about;

Tigers of the Sea
The Marchers of Valhala
World of Heroes
Almuric
and a collection called Swords Against Darkness from Andrew j Offutt who authored some Conan stories. I think this has some REH stories and the rest are 'in the tradition of REH'.
There were also a couple of collections which may also have some REH work in...they are Issac Asimov's 'Supermen' and 'Cosmic Knights'

I had no idea there were so many books. There must be a lot of duplications in collections.

I'm yet to list my conan books on Goodreads. I may do so just so i know what i am missing.

message 10: by Jim, Co-moderator (new)

There is a ton of duplication among the collections, renames, & also a LOT of editing. For instance, the Lancer editions by DeCamp changed quite a bit. I tend to think for the better, but many disagree. You might want to check out the Howard group. We have a lot of discussions about that. Anyway, that was why I started a spreadsheet.

Swords Against Darkness was a lot like the Flashing Swords collections, wasn't it? I loved the latter & still have a couple. It always tickles me that John Jakes did Brak the Barbarian, but also did The American Bicentennial Series, a wonderful historical fiction through the first century or so of the US following Phillip Kent & his descendants.

message 11: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 18 comments Jim wrote: "Swords Against Darkness was a lot like the Flashing Swords collections, wasn't it?..."

Yes, although Flashing Swords had four or five longer pieces per volume and Swords Against Darkness had a larger number of shorter stories. Both series had some great stuff in them, though, including sword & sorcery stories by C.J. Cherryh and Ramsey Campbell.

Tyrone -- What's in World of Heroes? That's not a title I'm familiar with.