Seattle Area Goodreaders discussion

General Information > Reading Group?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda | 18 comments I just read Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry and got hung up in it and really want to discuss it and see what others think about it. This would be a one time deal unless others want to get together to discuss on an irregular basis.

Any taker for Under the Volcano?????

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (dragonflyy419) | 2 comments Would you be willing to tell us a little bit about the book?

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda | 18 comments Sure, can I have about 500 pages???? No really. It's about a British diplomat in Mexico on the Day of the Dead in 1938. This turns out to be the last day of his life. His half-brother is staying with him, but, unexpectedly, his ex-wife shows up, hoping to save him from his alcoholism and restore their marriage to its early days. (There is a strong suggestion that the two have had an affair.) However, the Consul (as he is called through the book) refuses to be "saved." (the book is the best characterization of an alcoholic I've ever read, bar none!) He is trying to drink himself to death. The book opens with a friend of his musing on the Consul's death and how the two of them came to kmow each other in childhood. There are also sections which provide a backstory on the Consul, the Consul's ex-wife and his half brother. But it is not a straight forward novel. We never know how the Consul and his wife met each other and decided to get married; we never know how the Consul became a consul. It deals more with each person's philosophy of life and how two people who have the same goal can still fail to connect to achieve it.

It's really not for the faint of heart, which is why I REALLY like to get a group together to talk about it. There are so many questions I have that I'd like to hear other peoples' views on.

Did I scare you away?

message 4: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (mstaz) I am not interested, but to help you out, if you add the book cover and author links the goodreads software will populate the site so that people who click on this book generally can see where it is being discussed. You would at least have a better chance of drawing in people who might be interested in joining in your group discussion. It should look like this.
Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry by Malcolm Lowry Malcolm Lowry

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (dragonflyy419) | 2 comments I'm actually intrigued by the plot, the philosophical aspects, and your enthusiasm for it... I would take you up on your offer for discussing this book. Next trip to the library, I'll be looking for it to read.

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda | 18 comments Alisa - Thanks for the info! I'm still learning all this...

Dragonfly (if I may be so personal!!!) I'd love to get together after you've read the book, even if you don't like it. Sometimes the best discussions come out of opposing viewpoints. Let me know!

message 7: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (mstaz) Linda, you might try using the radio buttons at the bottom to select photo or link. Using photo for the book cover allows people to see the exact book you are referring to. Once you click on the cover, immediately go back into add book/author and click on the author tab at the top. It will pull up the list of authors relevant to the book you just searched on. click on the one you want and then use the radio buttons at the bottom to select photo and/or link. It's best if you use all three but at least the book cover and author link should get the job done. Put it all in one message post so they occur together. you can check by then clicking on the book after you have added it, scroll to the bottom, and it should show the thread where the book is being discussed (including the thread where you just added it.) Hope that helps. It's easy once you get the hang of it, and very helpful for members in general. IMHO. :-) Good luck.

message 8: by Linda (last edited Feb 24, 2011 11:48AM) (new)

Linda | 18 comments Looking for possible Seattle discussion people for "Volcano." Got one nibble - any more?

Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry Under the Volcano byMalcolm Lowry

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Under the Volcano (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Malcolm Lowry (other topics)