Buddhist discussion

Buddhist Practices > What are your practices?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (last edited Feb 22, 2011 04:01AM) (new)

Amanda I have to admit, I havn't really been doing much in the way of 'practicing' lately and I'm hoping that this group will help motivate me. I was enjoying my lone meditation at home until I hit a plateau and I've been telling myself I havn't had the time ever since.

I was curious what everybody else did as part of their practice?

message 2: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) I try to meditate 15 min in the morning. For me it's a great way to settle my mind before dealing with my son, work and all the other things that the day throws at me.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I meditate most mornings, anywhere from 10 - 30 minutes depending on time. I do a gentle yoga practice a couple times a week. Reading and studying the dharma and journaling round it out. I am hoping to do more mindfulness practices and increase my times of yoga practice. I used to have a regular time of dancing, but my living situation makes that tough right now.

message 4: by Tim (new)

Tim | 4 comments Thank you for your comments. I consider myself Zen Buddhist though I must admit I don't meditate in the orthodox way. I have written prose and poetry for a number of years and that is how I came to discover Buddhism for the most part. In a sense, we discovered each other through poetry and there's something wonderful and sincere about the way it's unfolded over the years. I have a small volume of titled Zen Poems on a small table next to where I write and I can't count the number of times I've read it ... cover to cover. This is currently my form of meditation. It gives me clarity and peace. It inspires me in ways other texts do not. Your comments and / or advice regarding this or most welcome.

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim | 14 comments I'm wondering which book of Zen poems you are reading?

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I'm curious too. I had thought it would be nice to perhaps do somthing on the group regarding buddhist poetry.

message 7: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Maybe a weekly post of a buddhist poem?

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I'm liking this idea! Perhaps people could take turns, although I have to say my personal collection on buddhist poetry is approximately nil at the moment. I've been wanting to get some Basho.

message 9: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) I'm in the same boat in the Buddhist poetry category. Maybe we could prevail on Tim to post one next week?

Tim, what do you think??

message 10: by Tim (new)

Tim | 4 comments I'd be happy to, but please bear with me. I'm a public educator and in addition to tutoring, I sponsor the student literary magazine. Doing something such as you're asking is uncharted territory, but I'm sure I'll get plenty of support from others.

message 11: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Absolutely! In fact if you don't have time, I could do it if you gave me some references on where to find the poetry. Just let me know...

message 12: by Tim (new)

Tim | 4 comments Hi Kristi,
Think it's great that you want to contribute to this little endeavor. That being the case, I have something fore you to pursue, post, and reflect upon: there's a volume of selected poems by Lawrence Ferlinghetti titled, "These Are My Rivers". The book includes a poem titled, "A Buddhist in the Wood-pile". Type in keyword - "Lawrence Ferlinghetti" to find this poem and post with commentary. Meanwhile, a little something for everyone to read and reflect upon. This is from "Zen Poems" selected and edited by Peter Harris:

Idle Droning

Since earnestly studying
the Buddhist Doctrine of
Emptiness
I've learned to still
all the common states
of mind.
Only the Devil of Poetry
I have yet to conquer -
let me come on a bit of
scenery and I start my
idol droning
- Bai Juyi
Tr. Burton Watson

message 13: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) I just wanted to bump this topic, as it's a great question...what is your Buddhist Practice?? What do you do to keep yourself in touch with your spirituality??

message 14: by Steve (new)

Steve Goble I meditate almost every evening, ranging from 10 to 30 minutes. I prefer the longer sessions, but sometimes 10 minutes is all I have time for. I usually do silent meditation, but occasionally I mentally recite one or two poems I have written as a sort of personal mantra. I use a timer on my iPad most nights, but my wife is a jewelry maker and is working on making me a set of mala beads I can use to time my meditations instead.