Horror Aficionados discussion

130 views
This Lady Doesn't *gasp* Respect Horror!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I was checking out the Goodreads Feedback section, and someone was complaining about how the Recommended Groups feature chooses groups that they have no interest in. Most of the people were recommended HA. Here's what someone posted:

LOL, I got a Harry Potter and the Horror. If those were the only two genres in the world, I would stop reading. In my mind, they are the poorest excuse for cutting down a tree that exists. Obviously, they're not really recommended groups. Perhaps the heading should be changed from "recommended" to groups your friends have joined, or something of that nature.

She gave Elizabeth Berg's Dream When You're Feeling Blue four stars...talk about a poor excuse for cutting down a tree!


message 2: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments LOL.....too true. I mean every genre is not for every person. She needs to lighten up a bit!


message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Atkinson (darkened_angel) | 797 comments Perhaps she is a Mills & Boon reader and has no other knowledge of real books out there!


message 4: by KumeKei (last edited Feb 22, 2011 02:52AM) (new)

KumeKei | 238 comments I think it's normal HA being recomended. It's a very active group with people passionate about its subject.

IMO it's one of (if not the) best groups on GR.

But just like in life, you get bombarded with situations you may or not agree. It's simply your choice If you want to be a part of them or not.

I can imagine that lady screaming at the TV during comercials "I DON'T WANT THAT. I LIKE OTHER THINGS. STOP THAT!!!" (and then on the background... "not the voices again, get out of my head!!!")


message 5: by J (new)

J (blkdoggy) | 135 comments I have the same opinion towards Romance novels, but I am aware that some other people enjoy them so.... to each his own. If ya don't like it don't read it or join the group as easy as that. : )


message 6: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments [image error]


message 7: by Tressa (last edited Feb 22, 2011 05:45AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Kumekei wrote: "I can imagine that lady screaming at the TV during comercials "I DON'T WANT THAT. I LIKE OTHER THINGS. STOP THAT!!!" (and then on the background... "not the voices again, get out of my head!!!") "

LOL. I think I can imagine that, too. "Tailor-make the world...for ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


message 8: by Elena (new)

Elena | 36 comments Jorge wrote: "I have the same opinion towards Romance novels, but I am aware that some other people enjoy them so.... to each his own. If ya don't like it don't read it or join the group as easy as that. : )"

You are not the only one!


message 9: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Maciek wrote: ""

I always love when you pull this cartoon out, Maciek. So fitting for this woman.

I try not to bust the chops of any genre. There's a sweet, intelligent librarian at work has kind of apologized for reading those Harlequin and Silhouette books. I don't care what someone enjoys reading. If they're having a good time reading it, then they picked the right genre.


message 10: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments Sometimes things can get a lil bit ridiculous. Everyone loves a good talk now and then, and that's what this lady is missing. I'm in this group to hang out with people and talk on all subjects. I don't even read much horror. I can't think what was the last true horror novel I've read. This group could be called Lasagne Afficionados and I'd still be in.


message 11: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Maciek wrote: "Sometimes things can get a lil bit ridiculous. Everyone loves a good talk now and then, and that's what this lady is missing. I'm in this group to hang out with people and talk on all subjects. I d..."

Ha. You fit in so well here I never even realized you don't read much horror. Like most people, I have to have a variety in my reading. A horror, a mystery, some chick lit, a teen book, a re-read of a childhood favorite, etc. It's all good.


message 12: by Laurie | LOHF (new)

Laurie  |  LOHF (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Some people are just snooty. I'll read any genre. I obviously have no taste!


message 13: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments LOL....I guess I have no taste either. I read quite a mix of different genres (although I skip on most YA as I do not like my vampires to sparkle). I have to say I don't read much if any romance.


message 14: by Bunny (new)

Bunny (bunnycates) | 93 comments jennbunny wrote: "I do not like my vampires to sparkle..."

preach on sister bunny!

:thumbs down: to sparkly neck nibblers!


message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) I've always been a genre fan and I'm always surprised by the vehement response you get from people who read strictly "literature" or popular fiction. I've even heard it said that genre fiction is killing the publishers because it doesn't earn the accolades or the sales that literature does. Why do they think that?


message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Don't know, Amanda. Mystery is genre fiction, and we buy and circulate a lot of mystery fiction at the library. Those are some devoted fans and mysteries have gotten a lot of accolades in the past decade or more. I think the expansion of the mystery genre has helped. I don't care for those the-butler-did-it mysteries, but there's been some great crime mysteries written by Dennis Lehane, James Lee Burke, Tana French, and other popular but talented writers.


message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Tressa wrote: "Don't know, Amanda. Mystery is genre fiction, and we buy and circulate a lot of mystery fiction at the library. Those are some devoted fans and mysteries have gotten a lot of accolades in the past ..."

I honestly see tons of mystery and fantasy sell at stores and circulating regularly at our library while most of the popular literature gets a few reads and then sits on the shelf. Horror remains a bit paltry at our library and the local bookstore but I think that might be because its always checked out or bought up rather than because its unpopular.


message 18: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Seems like a lot of library readers will give even an unknown mystery a chance, but you're right, a lot of the general fiction barely gets a few circs a year. We don't buy much horror at all, but I'm free to make suggestions and do every month, so I have beefed up our horror collection over the years. :-)


message 19: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments I wish you were my librarian, Tressa.

Since I read practically every genre, I find that there's a reason for each genre and why it's appealing. The Romance genre stirs feel-good emotions, especially for women. It is a great way to relax and stir up romantic feelings. The Paranormal Romance genre, in particular, the one with the sparkly he-man vampires, is for people who are into romance but like a fantastic twist to them. The women in my forum discovered that it helped ignite their libido, which makes their husbands very happy. I read PNR myself when my marriage was in trouble, and it helped our sex life. Unfortunately, sex was not enough to save the marriage, but it was the best part! Reading is for learning and pleasure. People read for different reasons and they're all valid.


message 20: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 487 comments Jorge wrote: "I have the same opinion towards Romance novels, but I am aware that some other people enjoy them so.... to each his own. If ya don't like it don't read it or join the group as easy as that. : )"

Oh you and me both! I like to read and read most everything, but I draw the line thick and heavy on Romance novels. I know they are amazingly popular, but not this kid, huh uh!


message 21: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 487 comments Too true Aloha.
I first started reading for both knowledge and to escape. (I was the skinny kid with heavy black frame glasses that everyone picked on when I was a kid.)
Now I read for the same reason, but not because I get picked on!
I can't imagine not reading. I get so much joy from reading a good book regardless of genre. If it's well written and catches my attention, it's good.

I don't really care what people think of my choices, nor do I care what others read. We read that which makes us happy or informs us about something we want to know.
In fact, for most of my life I completely ignored genres, didn't really know about them or care. Then people started talking genres and I studied up because it is interesting. But it's still just trivia to me.


message 22: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Brett, I could have sworn you were me. I was the skinny kid wearing glasses with thick dark frames, and duct tape on the frame when it was broken.


message 23: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 487 comments Exactly! I was ALWAYS breaking glasses and having to tape them up. I can remember one time when my friends and I were running down a hill and they bounced of my nose and I stepped on them! It was the second time I had broken them that month! To say dear ole mummy was unhappy is a major understatement.


message 24: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments But I bet you can't beat my story. My mom used to buy a whole bolt of fabric that's on sale and sew an outfit for all of us. We would go around all dressed in the same fabric, dresses for us girls, Hawaiian shirts for my stepdad and little brother. Here is a picture of the plaid family in Hawaii. I'm the oldest kid on the right with the thick glasses hugging my little sister:




message 25: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments What a great picture! Wow. I can barely sew a button on a shirt. What a talented mom.


message 26: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 487 comments Ha! My grandmother did the same thing! No pictures though.


message 27: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 487 comments I wonder if it's a small town thing? I grew up in a tiny town of about 1500 people.


message 28: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments My grandmother sewed smocked dresses for my sister and me. We should have a thread to post pics of us as kids. The nerdier the better.


message 29: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments This is a place for nerds! Luckily, nerds don't usually have that many pictures of themselves. People don't usually want to take pictures of us.


message 30: by Scott (new)

Scott My grandmother made me and my sister Batman & Robin capes. She put the loops around the shoulders instead of the neck because she was terrified of us strangling ourselves.


message 31: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Scott wrote: "My grandmother made me and my sister Batman & Robin capes. She put the loops around the shoulders instead of the neck because she was terrified of us strangling ourselves."

Pictures, please.

Can you believe that my siblings and I don't have one single picture of us dressed up for Halloween. Now, I know parents had to exert more energy buying film, loading it into a big, old camera, taking the pictures, and then getting the film developed, but this is uncalled for!


message 32: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Maybe southerners are less egocentric and humble, so they don't take pictures of themselves?


message 33: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 2 comments So does it really matter what you read with these statistics?

According to Bookstats.com:

1/3 of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives.

42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college.

80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year.

70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.

57 percent of new books are not read to completion.

As long as you are reading it really doesn't matter WHAT it is or how you are reading. I mean your not killing a tree with an ebook!


message 34: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments I feel the same way about art. As long as people make an effort to find a creative release, they should not be put down for their attempts. Reading, learning and creating are so important for the soul.


message 35: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Aloha wrote: "Maybe southerners are less egocentric and humble, so they don't take pictures of themselves?"

Nah. I call it poor and lazy. (Love you, mom...who would see this if she knew what the Internet was.)


message 36: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Lindsay wrote: "So does it really matter what you read with these statistics?

According to Bookstats.com:

1/3 of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives.

42 percent of college..."


Sad stats for sure. We buy books about every week, although we say we won't because we're running out of space. So glad my little man's starting out life as a reader.


message 37: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 487 comments No kidding! My nephew is one of those. He just doesn't care to read much. Although, when he was in Iraq he read a lot. Not a lot to do in their off time over there.


message 38: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments My brother and sister don't read much; my father barely reads anything at all except the newspaper; my mom reads magazines but I don't know if she's ever read a book in her life...seriously.


message 39: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 487 comments That's sad. I know it's different strokes for different folks, but I simply can't imagine not reading!


message 40: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Yeah, looking at it from our perspective it is sad. But they've picked the things in life that make them happy; things maybe I don't understand.


message 41: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments Aloha wrote: "But I bet you can't beat my story. My mom used to buy a whole bolt of fabric that's on sale and sew an outfit for all of us. We would go around all dressed in the same fabric, dresses for us girl..."

Awwww that's so cute! Especially the thick glasses.

Lots of people don't read fiction at all. I know a lot of IT technicians and the only books they read are related to their profession.


message 42: by Aloha (last edited Feb 24, 2011 02:53AM) (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Be nice to the geeky girls. You'll never know when she'll blossom and you'll want to ask her out. But the geeky girls usually goes for the well-read guys, anyway. At least, I do.

It is true that you are what information you put inside of you. Unfortunately, since I've been dating, which is only 3 guys so far, and I'm ready to stop, 2 of them are non-fiction guys. The non-fiction guys are uninteresting conversationally to me, and rigid and structured in their lives. It's all politics and news. I like ideas, some crazy, and possibilities. I also like spontaneous and flexible people. I usually ask people whether they like to read, and what they read. That gives me a good idea of what's in their heads, whether they are flexible, creative people, or rigid, factual people.

It's a case of the chicken or the egg. What comes first. Are you what you read? Or is your reading choices because of who you are?


message 43: by KumeKei (new)

KumeKei | 238 comments Aloha wrote: "Are you what you read? Or is your reading choices because of who you are?"

I guess it's a little bit of both.

You choose acording to who you are and what you like but, when you put the book down after finishing it you're inevitably different. Even if it's just a bit.


message 44: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments I think the comment this lady made is atrocious and immature. How can you say one particular genre is POOR EXCUSE for reading and cutting down trees?! That's just pain ignorant! I, like most people, here read everything from classics to literature to hardcore splatterpunk horror, and yes, some genres appeal to me more than others do obviously. For instance, I've never been a big fan of the ROMANCE genre, but I have dabbled in it, and can understand why people would like to read it, and escape. That is what I read for, to escape, to learn new things, and to broaden my horizons, not to shut down and be self-conscious and berate others' interests. Reading will always be a fulfilling passion of mine, and it just annoys me to no end that people can still be close minded regarding the arts, but hey, that's life.


message 45: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Even with the fiction genre, I noticed that different forums have a different atmosphere to them. I enjoy Horror Aficionados, because the people here are flexible, smart, humorous, tolerant, and outrageous sometimes. I recently rejoined the SciFi and Fantasy Book Club, and the atmosphere there are OCD. The people there are stickler for rules and appropriateness.


message 46: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments yeah, I looove how people want to try and take themselves so serious and get on you about rules, HA! thats a joke! I love HA, I think we have a wonderful forum here, and we're the biggest and most flexible group regarding horror on goodreads! Thoa have you been getting into sci-fi lately? I was going to txt you last night but forgot the books I was going to ask you about, so if I remember I'll txt yo later...


message 47: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments I wasn't making fun, it really is an adorable picture.

The snobbery when it comes to reading reaches extreme levels. People look down on others because of their reading choice. You can't be an intelligent woman and read romance novels, can you? Or the more popular the author the more stupid his readers must be and his output must be horrible. It exists only on this field. No one looks down on the Beatles and their fans, even though they were extremely popular. In films, when a movie is popular it doesn't take away from its value.


message 48: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments omg thoa that picture is awesome, my beautiful little asian MILF, lol, rofl!


message 49: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Maciek wrote: "I wasn't making fun, it really is an adorable picture.

The snobbery when it comes to reading reaches extreme levels. People look down on others because of their reading choice. You can't be an int..."


Great points. About ten years ago I flipped through a teen Christian series and got hooked and read about ten of them before finally winding down. I'll even read cereal boxes and those organic healing mags from Whole Foods. I just like to read!


message 50: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments I would never post a personal picture of The Plaid Family in other forums but Horror Aficionados, and its offshoot Fantasy Aficionados (about the same group of people), and my PNR forum.

I didn't think you were making fun of me, Maciek. You can make fun of me and I wouldn't take offense. That's what's great about getting to know people. You know where they're coming from.

Bryan, I've been getting into SciFi lately. That's the only reason why I logged back onto the OCD SciFi forum, so I can have discussions about SciFi. I wish FA has a SciFi section. I noticed FA didn't have a SciFi section when, during the Interview the Person game, everybody else's answers were of Fantasy books and mine was SciFi. LOL Sure, text me, Bryan. I hope I can answer your questions.


« previous 1
back to top