Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Weekly Reading > What Are You Reading Feb 21?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2052 comments Mod
Happy Monday! I'm starting this week with Starcrossed by Elizabeth C Bunce.

Aly is so frigging bored | 851 comments Mod
Re-reading No Rest for the Wicked by Kresley Cole and waiting for the last Night Huntress book

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1 comments I am half way through "Truly Madly" by Heather Webber and I just love it! I'm going to go today to get her 2nd one.

I'm also looking forward to buying Anne Mallory's "One Night is Not Enough, and Julie Anne Long's "What I Did for a Duke," I believe they are both out tomorrow.

lindam

message 4: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2063 comments Mod
I'm rereading Love in the Afternoon while I wait for the new Mallory and Longs. I'm also very eager to read the new Jo Beverley, out next week; the new excerpt on her website is really interesting.
And on a longer wait...I just read a small excerpt of Black Hawk, the Adrian book by Joanna Bourne, out in November, and REALLY can't wait for that!

message 5: by Monica (new)

Monica | 548 comments Mod
I'm finishing up "My Darling Caroline" by Adele Ashworth. I like it! I've never read anything by this author, so I'm pleased!

Next up for me is "Deadly Fear" by Cynthia Eden. Ohhh, does it sound good!

message 6: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Romain | 420 comments I thought Anne Mallory's newest wasn't out till next Tuesday--that's a nice surprise! I've got hers and JAL's coming my way. I've been hearing lots of love for the new JAL, and I'm curious to know if you all like AM's too. Her last book--Seven Secrets of Seduction--was one of my favorites by her. I just love a librarian romance and a secret correspondence!

I'm reading A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. It's one of those big books about ancient magical books (in the same line as The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova). I love those, and this one's a real grabber as the heroine discovers her own magic. A very sweet romance is in development too, as a subplot. Yay!

message 7: by Monica (new)

Monica | 548 comments Mod
EJFan wrote: "Monica, I really love Adele Ashworth's books so I'm so glad you enjoyed MDC too.

I didn't care for Victoria Dahl's Crazy for Love as much as I did her other books, but I really enjoyed Lead Me On,..."

EJFan,
I LOVED Adele Ashworth's "My Darling Caroline"! I'm going to be checking out her other books too! Which is your favorite book?! I'm thrilled to have a new author to read! Yay!

I haven't read VD's "Lead Me On" yet. I really enjoyed her first in that series "Talk Me Down". I think I even used it as one of my Monday Puzzlers! "Crazy For Love" was ok for me, not great, but not bad either!

message 8: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 892 comments Finished and LOVED Kaki Warner's OPEN COUNTRY. Put Jack's story, CHASING THE SUN, on hold at the library. Saw some really awesome reviews for Ellen O'Connell's EYES OF SILVER, EYES OF GOLD, another western. I looked it up at B&N and found out it was only $2.99 for my Nook! Done deal - Very excited.

Will pick up Robyn Carr's latest, HARVEST MOON, and JAL, WHAT I DID FOR A DUKE tomorrow.

message 9: by Pj (new)

Pj Ausdenmore (pjpuppymom) | 100 comments Irish, so glad you enjoyed OPEN COUNTRY!

I finished ANGEL'S REST by Emily March (who used to write as Geralyn Dawson). It went straight to my keeper shelf. I saw one review that describes it as "sugary" and "impossibly sweet" but I disagree. March skillfully takes a hero who's lost everything of importance in his life and is on the verge of ending his pain permanently on a realistically heart-wrenching journey through a rocky healing process, ultimately arriving at a point where he's able to once again open his heart to hope, faith (though not preachy faith), love and happiness. It's a contemporary/women's fiction story ala Robyn Carr or Susan Mallery. Both ANGEL'S REST and HUMMINGBIRD LAKE (March 2011) have gotten starred reviews from Publisher's Weekly and after reading ANGEL'S REST, I now know why. My review is posted today @TheRomanceDish if you want to read more.

message 10: by Dls (last edited Feb 23, 2011 03:19PM) (new)

Dls | 2063 comments Mod
I'm about 2/3 of the way through the new Anne Mallory. Its very intense in its focus just on the relationship between the two, and the sense that the hero is executing a grand game plan about her--the closest I can come to the feel is the new Anne Stuart trilogy. At the same time the hero is more likeable, the heroine gets more choices, and I like it a lot better. (Its a little like Wicked Intentions by Hoyt, in that flavor, although this hero is remarkably untroubled by personal problems or rakishness.)
I need to go back and reread her last book, but it doesn't feel similar to me, even though I suspect the description sounds similar.

message 11: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianagreenroad) | 15 comments Just finished Susan Wigg's The Firebrand and The Hostage. TH was better than TF, but it was still a very interesting series centered around the Great Chicago Fire. Am currently re-reading And Then He Kissed Her from LLG and still slogging through T3M from AD and The Short History of Women from Kate Walbert.

message 12: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Romain | 420 comments Dls, I'm really intrigued by the sound of the new Anne Mallory. I pre-ordered it and my copy hasn't gotten to me yet (why do I keep doing that??). But it and the new JAL should be getting to me any day!

Finished A DISCOVERY OF WITCHES, and liked it pretty well. As it went on, it got more focused on the romance and less on the "mysterious magical manuscript" plot. I always love a romance (of course!) so this was fine by me; it was beautifully written. Only problem is, it's part 1 of a trilogy, so nothing was really tied up. And book 2's not out till sometime in 2012. Doh!

message 13: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2063 comments Mod
Diana what is T3M from AD?
About a third of the way into Julie ann longs what I did for a duke. 20 pages in I wondered how she would ever get me to like the hero. Noe I'm fascinated by him. Really really good so far

message 14: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2052 comments Mod
Finished reading Luck Of The Wolf by Susan Krinard and starting on Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton.

message 15: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2063 comments Mod
Just finished What I did For a Duke. Its a little more traditonal than I think of JAL writing--meaning, the hero is a noble, the woman is a sheltered young woman--but its very good--a wonderful sustained tone from begining to end.

message 16: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianagreenroad) | 15 comments Dls wrote: "Diana what is T3M from AD?
About a third of the way into Julie ann longs what I did for a duke. 20 pages in I wondered how she would ever get me to like the hero. Noe I'm fascinated by him. Really ..."

DLS: The Three Musketeers from Alexander Dumas

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 992 comments I'm working on How to Woo a Reluctant Lady by Sabrina Jeffries; the battle between the sexes is so much fun in this one!

message 18: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Romain | 420 comments EJFan wrote: "Dls wrote: "I'm about 2/3 of the way through the new Anne Mallory. Its very intense in its focus just on the relationship between the two, and the sense that the hero is executing a grand game plan..."

EJFan, I just finished One Night is Never Enough, and I really liked it (as usual for me and Anne M). This book does have a different feel to me than her last, Seven Secrets of Seduction, in which the classes were flipped--the heroine is a bookseller pursued by a brilliant, scoundrelly viscount. The one before that, For the Earl's Pleasure, has a more similar feel to One Night, since it has a heroine that's trapped by family secrets and society strictures (though that one also has a paranormal element).

The thing that surprised me in One Night was that some plot threads will continue into the next book, but I thought the resolution of the romance was great. This is a couple that really brings out the best in one another.