Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Series > simone elkeles...

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 2 comments What are some books similar to her series Perfect Chemistry and Return to Paradise. I absolutely love both series and both guys in the series are amazing. I like that bad boy type of guy =)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Simone Elkeles is too unique. Haha, I dunno. I'm thinking...

message 3: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylawrites89) | 348 comments Rena is right, Simone Elkeles is just too unique. I really can't think of anything like her stories. :)

message 4: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Good I have Prefect chemistry in my book self at home it's good to hear its good!!

message 5: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I have it on my Kindle, lol.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Ugh! Perfect Chemistry.

message 7: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Ha, I remember reading that you didn't like it. I'm gonna give it a shot.

message 8: by Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (last edited Feb 21, 2011 11:34AM) (new)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I was in the minority, so you will probably like it. I just did not like the stereotyping. I enjoyed Leaving Paradise more.

message 9: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I just went and read your review of Perfect Chemistry and saw Leaving Paradise, I added it to my to-read shelf.

message 10: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I kind of hated it too...but I totally couldn't put it down.

message 11: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) It's got a very high GR rating. I've put off reading it for so long because I am afraid it's going to fall into that 'Twilight' catagory where everyone seems to love it and all I can think about was how terribly it was written and how pourly executed it was.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I work with underprivileged youth, so have a lot of issues with Ms. Elkeles lack of authenticity. I realize they are cheesy fiction books, but she is way off the mark and for some reason it is hard for me to overlook.

message 13: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments i'm saving it for easy reach beach in the summer

message 14: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) That is completely understandable. I think in that case it would be driving me crazy too.

message 15: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Yes, I do not know too much about it Heidi, but I did wonder quite a lot about how accurate her portrayal of gang society was, not to mention just the way people were speaking in the book. A lot of the slang seemed over the top.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Ottilie wrote: "i'm saving it for easy reach beach in the summer"

I still finished it, so that says something! She is a great author if you want a quick light read. Like I said, I like Leaving Paradise better.

Kristina have you read all of her books??

message 17: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments thats good to hear

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Heidi I wrote: "I work with underprivileged youth, so have a lot of issues with Ms. Elkeles lack of authenticity. I realize they are cheesy fiction books, but she is way off the mark and for some reason it is hard..."

Ahhahaha, Heidi. Nice to have us at clashing opinions again. I still haven't read Rules of Attraction.

I did really like Perfect Chemistry. I think I was quite happy in my make-believe world without you bursting my bubble!

Good on you for your work, I am planning to work in that area as well after I graduate!

message 19: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 243 comments Heidi I wrote: "I work with underprivileged youth, so have a lot of issues with Ms. Elkeles lack of authenticity. I realize they are cheesy fiction books, but she is way off the mark and for some reason it is hard..."

Interesting statement Heidi:-) Would love to hear more of your thoughts on this series.