Book freaks discussion

305 views
Book Characters > Minor characters

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Starzee (new)

Starzee | 60 comments There's the heroes and heroines, the evil villains, but what about the in-betweens. The best friend, or perhaps the mentor.

Who are your favourite minor characters from books you've read?


message 2: by Skena (new)

Skena Megahed | 216 comments I always loved those minor character even more than the main ones sometimes :).
my favorite one is definitely Sirius Black fro the Harry Potter series . I loved him a lot and cried my eyes out when he got killed in the fifth book .now when I reread the books I usually cry in all his parts from book 3 to book 5 :(
great question:)


message 3: by Starzee (new)

Starzee | 60 comments Yeah I asked because I'm also one of those people who love the minor characters, sometimes even more so than the main ones.

Oooh Sirius Black, that's a good one.

Some of my favourite minor characters would be:

Vlad from the Night Huntress series
Warren from the Mercy Thompson series
Ben from the Mercy Thompson Series
Quinn and Blay from BDB


message 4: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo ☆♥Starzee♥☆ wrote: "Yeah I asked because I'm also one of those people who love the minor characters, sometimes even more so than the main ones.

Oooh Sirius Black, that's a good one.

Some of my favourite minor ch..."


Oh I ALWAYS love minor characters? Thank you Starzee for posting this. I just have to say that half of my favorite characters have died BECAUSE they were minor characters!


message 5: by Nada (new)

Nada Al-Karmi (nadooush) i love dobby from harry potter
jasper from twilight
Charles Beckendorf & Lee Fletcher in Percy Jackson


message 6: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo nada wrote: "i love dobby from harry potter
jasper from twilight
Charles Beckendorf & Lee Fletcher in Percy Jackson"


WOW those are all my favorite characters from those books too!


message 7: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo And they all died


message 8: by Sayshisweetie (new)

Sayshisweetie | 71 comments oh, dobby totally! I was so sad when he died


message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Finnick from The Hunger Games Trilogy - I LOVED him!


message 10: by Starzee (new)

Starzee | 60 comments Cindy wrote: "Finnick from The Hunger Games Trilogy - I LOVED him!"

OMG! I so wanted to include him but forgot his name lol. Thanks for reminding me haha!


message 11: by Nada (new)

Nada Al-Karmi (nadooush) Sayshisweetie wrote: "oh, dobby totally! I was so sad when he died"

me too, i cried when i read that.


message 12: by Nada (new)

Nada Al-Karmi (nadooush) Gorfo wrote: "nada wrote: "i love dobby from harry potter
jasper from twilight
Charles Beckendorf & Lee Fletcher in Percy Jackson"

WOW those are all my favorite characters from those books too!"


well, they all were great minor characters so who wouldn't like them. i was also gonna say Neville longbottom but i didn't know if he's a minor character or not.


message 13: by Starzee (new)

Starzee | 60 comments I think Neville counts as a minor character


message 14: by Nada (new)

Nada Al-Karmi (nadooush) ☆♥Starzee♥☆ wrote: "I think Neville counts as a minor character"

then he's on my list as well, he was cute if a bit clumsy.


message 15: by Starzee (new)

Starzee | 60 comments nada wrote: "☆♥Starzee♥☆ wrote: "I think Neville counts as a minor character"

then he's on my list as well, he was cute if a bit clumsy."


Haha yeah and I think they did a good job of him in the movies too.


message 16: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 17 comments I prefer the term "peripheral characters". Dobby was one of my favorites from the Harry Potter series but I got really strange looks from the librarians: not too many 60 year old women were borrowing Harry Potter books from the library. I enjoy the Anita Blake series because her peripheral characters are all so well drawn.


message 17: by Starzee (new)

Starzee | 60 comments I think you can tell how well a series is written by how well the author shapes the other characters. Obviously other aspects come into play as well, but one thing for me that determines how good the series is is the development of minor characters.


message 18: by Sacha (new)

Sacha (supersonicsacha) I liked Cinna from the Hunger Games. He's really funny.

Also I agree, Neville should count. He is actually one of my favorite characters from those books. I always felt sorry for him because Malfoy picked on him.


message 19: by Nada (new)

Nada Al-Karmi (nadooush) ☆♥Starzee♥☆ wrote: "nada wrote: "☆♥Starzee♥☆ wrote: "I think Neville counts as a minor character"

then he's on my list as well, he was cute if a bit clumsy."

Haha yeah and I think they did a good job of him in t..."


yup, definitely.


message 20: by Nada (new)

Nada Al-Karmi (nadooush) Sacha wrote: "I liked Cinna from the Hunger Games. He's really funny.

Also I agree, Neville should count. He is actually one of my favorite characters from those books. I always felt sorry for him because Malfo..."


not to mention snape, he was always mean with him.


message 21: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 17 comments rereading the "Black Jewels Trilogy" last week and really enjoyed the following characters: Geoffrey, Draca, Lorn, Daemonar,Surreal...even the villains were well done: Greer, Heketah, Dorothea


message 22: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sol | 28 comments i was sad when cinna died too but i was REALLY sad when Finnick dies.NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO


message 23: by Starzee (new)

Starzee | 60 comments Oh yay, thanks for ruining that for me LMAO I still haven't read Mockingjay.


message 24: by Sayshisweetie (new)

Sayshisweetie | 71 comments Nicole wrote: "i was sad when cinna died too but i was REALLY sad when Finnick dies.NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

I totally agree!!! I feel so sorry for Annie and cinna shouldn.t have died! :(
Sorry Starzee!


message 25: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo Sayshisweetie wrote: "Nicole wrote: "i was sad when cinna died too but i was REALLY sad when Finnick dies.NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

I totally agree!!! I feel so sorry for Annie and cinna shouldn.t have died! :(
Sorry Starzee!"


Nobody should've died in that book. They just suddenly decided to kill everyone I loved in Mockinjay.


message 26: by Starzee (new)

Starzee | 60 comments LOL I wonder why she decided to kill them off?


message 27: by Starzee (new)

Starzee | 60 comments I'm reading The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa and I have to say that Puck is an amazing minor character =D So is Grimalkin!


message 28: by Sayshisweetie (new)

Sayshisweetie | 71 comments ☆♥Starzee♥☆ wrote: "I'm reading The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa and I have to say that Puck is an amazing minor character =D So is Grimalkin!"

I've never read it, i'll have to check it out!


message 29: by Starzee (new)

Starzee | 60 comments It's very magical, and is loosley related to a Midsummer nights Dream


message 30: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) nada wrote: "i love dobby from harry potter
jasper from twilight
Charles Beckendorf & Lee Fletcher in Percy Jackson"


Dobby is on my list.


message 31: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo You know one day we had a retreat and everybody was coming clean about their life and crying and I started bawling about Dobby dying.


message 32: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) I love Dobby. I still cry about Dobby. Him and Hedwig but especially him.

I haven't cried on retreat about him though. That's pretty good.


message 33: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo Ellie wrote: "I love Dobby. I still cry about Dobby. Him and Hedwig but especially him.

I haven't cried on retreat about him though. That's pretty good."


Yep, just goes to show that authors really don't know what they might be doing when the pencil in a death. I think Dobby dying is one of the most traumatizing experiences of my life.


message 34: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (tequilamckingbird) | 4 comments I totally have to agree with Neville and Dobby (definitely cried when he died), but I also loved Luna. She was a bit quirky but always meant well, I loved how she was portrayed in the movies.


message 35: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo Danielle wrote: "I totally have to agree with Neville and Dobby (definitely cried when he died), but I also loved Luna. She was a bit quirky but always meant well, I loved how she was portrayed in the movies."

I think Luna really began to shine in the last book you know when the trio goes to Xenophilius Lovegood's house and Luna isn't there and they see the pictures of themselves that say friends...like I swear I said "awwww" out loud and I kinda felt bad for thinking ill of Luna at all...not that I ever thought of her that way (shifty eyes)


message 36: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (tequilamckingbird) | 4 comments I at times thought she was really strange and never really paid her much attention, kind of thought she was a bit annoying to the trio, but at the end of the book I realized how much she really did care about them all


message 37: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo Danielle wrote: "I at times thought she was really strange and never really paid her much attention, kind of thought she was a bit annoying to the trio, but at the end of the book I realized how much she really did..."

ya pretty much, nicely put!


message 38: by Dorottya (new)

Dorottya (dorottya_b) | 27 comments Well, it depends on what we consider a minor character.

As for me, I loved Lupin in the HP series :). Also, Cinna from Hunger Games.


message 39: by Ebony (new)

Ebony (poppyy) Ohh, I loved cinna. My favorite side character from hp is Luna lovegood.


message 40: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo Finnick from the Hunger Games!


Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Cinna from "The Hunger Games"
Kral from "Wit'ch Fire"
Remus Lupin from "Harry Potter"


message 42: by Shelby (new)

Shelby | 10 comments Maya and Trevor from My Wolf's Bane
Julie and Derek from Magic Bites


message 43: by Aimee (new)

Aimee Glez (aimeeglez) | 2 comments Ooh. Oh, oh, oh.
Okay. To name a few:
~ Matthew Collins (Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson)
~ Kenji Kishimoto (Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi)
~ the Stoll brothers (PJO by Rick Riordan)
~ Gideon & Gabriel Lightwood (The Infernal Devices by Cassie Clare)
~ Gilbert Blythe (Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery)

... wow. They're all dudes. I hadn't noticed. What can I say, I'm attracted to the opposite gender.
Here I'll try mentioning a couple girls:
~ Izzy Lightwood (TMI by Cassie Clare)
~ Rachel Elizabeth Dare (PJO by Rick Riordan)
~ Mor (A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas)
~ Lysandra (Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas)
~ Ringer (The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey)

Done.


back to top