Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Book Title incorrect?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new)

Sue Bowling (sueannbowling) | 36 comments I just added to my shelves the book you have listed as http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/67..., shown with 314 pp, published 1971 by Littlehampton, title Fragrant Year: Scented Plants for your Garden and you House. The book I have in hand is 306 pp, title The Fragrant Year, with "Scented Plants for Your Garden and Your House" under the Authors' names at the top of the cover, publication 1967 by M. Barrows and Co and distributed in New York by William Morrow and Co. Authors are the same, so I think this is the same book, possibly an older edition. I'll scan the cover when my scanner talks to my computer again. Should I enter mine manually as an additional edition, even though the titles are not quite the same? By the way, do you prefer jpegs for missing covers?

message 2: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Does your edition have the same ISBN as this edition? If yes, you can go ahead and change the record - edit the page numbers from 314 to 306, and upload your scanned cover (jpegs are fine). If your edition is a different ISBN or lacks an ISBN, it is a different edition. If yours has an ISBN, do a Goodreads search by ISBN. If it lacks one, create an alternate cover edition.

Here's the 1967 edition on Amazon, to save time you can just upload their image...
http://www.amazon.com/FRAGRANT-YEAR-W...

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue Bowling (sueannbowling) | 36 comments My copy has a Library of Congress number, but no ISBN.

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue Bowling (sueannbowling) | 36 comments Amazon's is obviously the same book, and the same line drawing was used, but the colors on the cover are different and mine has a bee approaching the flowers from the right. They do have the same title as mine, with "The" at the beginning of the name.
Totally different question: I have two books to load that are probably in your database in which I am the author of one chapter and listed as such in the table of contents. Is there a way of getting this fact on my author page?

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23262 comments Sue, we don't use the LoC numbers at all.

As your copy of Fragrant Garden has no ISBN I'd enter it as another edition as you suggested, with all the relevant info, including your cover which is slightly different.

Regarding the other book question, are you listed on GR as one of the authors? If not, please list details of the books, incl links and we'll fix it.

message 6: by Sue (new)

Sue Bowling (sueannbowling) | 36 comments The first is The Complete Shetland Sheepdog, http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59.... Author Margaret Norman wrote the book but asked me to contribute a chapter on the Sheltie in North America, Chapter 13. My name is not on the cover or table of contents, but is at the head of that chapter (misspelled slightly as Sue Anne Bowling.) I received author copies from the publisher.
Second is The New Complete Shetland Sheepdog 2nd edition, http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/48.... Again, I am not listed on the cover, but in this case I am listed in the table of contents as the author of Chapter 10, Lines, Families and Foundation Sires, and a co-author on Ch 8, The Shetland Sheepdog Arrives in America and Ch 18, Genetics, Color and Coat in the Shetland Sheepdog. In this case I sent Mr. Riddle the information, thinking he would use it as a reference, and he simply added it verbatum, with attribution. Chapter 23 also has a separate author, Barbara Curry.
I'll probably be adding "Climate of the Arctic" myself--I was co-editor on that, did a lot of editing where authors were not native English speakers, and Amazon lists it.

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments Sue wrote: "The first is The Complete Shetland Sheepdog, http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59.... Author Margaret Norman wrote the book but asked me to contribute a chapter on..."

I've added you as a contributor, but please be aware that it might take a day or two to show on your author page (this is normal, it is a performance issue), but you can see your name on the book pages.

For the book that is on Amazon, you can import it directly from Amazon just by searching for it by ISBN. Just let us know if it needs more editing.

message 8: by Sue (new)

Sue Bowling (sueannbowling) | 36 comments Climate of the Arctic: 24 Alaska Science Conference 1973 This is the book. It is shown as having two corporate authors, AAAS and AMS. They are the sponsoring organizations. It was actually edited by Gunter Weller and Sue Ann Bowling, and we were really editors. I spent weeks on some of the papers written by those for whom English was not a native language, making the papers understandable without changing the meaning. The Title Page lists Gunter and me as the editors and it shows up on Amazon with Gunter Weller and me as authors, along with the Alaska Science Conference, AAAS and AMS. This is actually the printed proceedings of the 24th Alaska Science Conference. (I was also the author or co-author of 3 contributions, but there were a lot of contributors. I can send a list if you want, but probably simpler not to bother. Don't know about cover--it was printed in gold leaf on a light blue cloth binding, and I'm not sure how it will scan.

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments Sue wrote: "Climate of the Arctic: 24 Alaska Science Conference 1973 This is the book. It is shown as having two corporate authors, AAAS and AMS. They are the sponsoring organizations. It was ac..."

Done.