Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Multiple listings for editions.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥ Susan (new)

♥ Susan  (mermaidx) | 9 comments I tried to "combine editions", and when it wouldn't let me (it stated I needed to include "more than one edition")... I realized that wasn't the problem. For some books, there are multiple listings for the *same* edition. Some are correct, some are not. Some have proper formatting, some (many) do not.

What is the protocol in this event? Delete the redundant/incorrect listings? Combine them (and how)?

I hope I am explaining myself correctly, if not I will re-try. Thanks! ;-)

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments Susan wrote: "I tried to "combine editions", and when it wouldn't let me (it stated I needed to include "more than one edition")... I realized that wasn't the problem. For some books, there are multiple listings..."

Why don't you give us a link to the book you tried to combine and someone will look at it. It's often easier to explain with examples.

message 3: by ♥ Susan (new)

♥ Susan  (mermaidx) | 9 comments I think I figured it out... I went to look into it more before I commented again, because I am a confused newbie. ;-)

Apparently they are indeed different editions... same cover, but different press runs or what-have-you -- as they do indeed have different ISBNS. What made it more confusing was that some were incomplete or had the wrong information... however it must just be how that particular edition was entered.

What does confuse me, is that one book (from my childhood) that I just found is listed several times because it was apparently part of two different series'...

However, on the two listings that should be for the Dark Forces editions, with the Dark Forces ISBN (here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/75... and http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20... ) they mistakenly says "Chamber of Horrors".

Though there are legitimate "Chamber of Horrors" versions, just not these two. Those are the two "Dark Forces" ones. I am just nervous to change them, lest I am misunderstanding something...

It says originally published as that title.. and according to the dates on all editions both series were published the same year.

Tia.. I hope I am not being too confusing.

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments Chamber of Horrors is the series name, it doesn't matter that it isn't printed on the cover, it is still part of the series. A series applies to all editions of a book.

Dark Forces appears to be a collection of unrelated books by the publisher, we have decided not to enter those as series because they do not apply to all editions of the books.

message 5: by ♥ Susan (new)

♥ Susan  (mermaidx) | 9 comments I am confused... there were 15 books from the "Dark Forces" series.. and all carried the Dark Forces logo/series banner... ?

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23771 comments Susan, Deborah said that it applies to each edition of each of the books.

If it is just a publisher deciding it is a series and not the author, it doesn't qualify.

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments Susan wrote: "I am confused... there were 15 books from the "Dark Forces" series.. and all carried the Dark Forces logo/series banner... ?"

Did I misunderstand the question? I thought the question was, why do all editions (even the Dark Forces editions) of the book Eyes of the Tarot show "Chamber of Horrors" beside the title?

We are only entering series data for series of books if all editions of the books are part of that series. Three editions of Eyes of the Tarot do not appear to be part of the Dark Forces series. The Chamber of Horrors is a four book series by Bruce Coville and Eyes of the Tarot is the third book in that series.

If that wasn't the question, please ask again and if I can't answer it, I'm sure someone else will try.

message 8: by ♥ Susan (new)

♥ Susan  (mermaidx) | 9 comments Sure... I am just trying to understand/learn..

This means that the entire series was actually just a collection by the publisher of books with a similar theme (in this case, I'll call them "dark arts")... and even though they had their own editions/covers/isbn #s, etc, they are not considered an actual series because it was done by the publisher as some sort of collection?

In other words, all the authors of the series never wrote for the series, but apparently later (and in the case of some, the same year) the publisher published these 15 works again as part of a new "series" for marketing purposes?

Just so I understand... this is new to me as I haven't seen it before. Thanks so much!

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments Exactly and it's only because of the way we combine editions here, so that we can't select a single edition to show for a series. It is possible that could change in the future, but currently it is a limitation of the database.

message 10: by ♥ Susan (new)

♥ Susan  (mermaidx) | 9 comments Ahh ok... thanks so much! ;-)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Eyes of the Tarot (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Bruce Coville (other topics)