Ilona Andrews Fans discussion

General Questions and Comments > How many books will the Kate Daniels series have?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by valee (new)

valee Hey guys anybody knows if there will be more than 5 books?

message 2: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 169 comments Mod
there will be two more books, so 7 books total

message 3: by valee (new)

valee Oh no, 2 years of waiting! Damn. Although maybe if the series keeps being this books more books will be published...

message 4: by Mariya (new)

she talked about peopel being sad the KD Series will be ending, but she said something like all series must be coming to an end, but I also think she said there would be another series about one of the characters or something. I wonder if I can find that info. I'll let you know if I do. I know she talked about that somewhere.

message 5: by ൠSinful (new)

ൠSinful  (sinful) | 7 comments I hate when series go on endlessly. It seems like books spin their wheels. But when they have and in mind you KNOW something will move the story arch forward. I look forward to those releases.

message 6: by Mariya (last edited Feb 19, 2011 06:36PM) (new)

I wouldn't want a good series to keep going just b/c us fans would hate for it to end, b/c maybe it wouldn't be as good. if Andrews has a great ending in mind for us I will cherish these last few books. I always hate for series I love to end, but I end up loving them even more for the great endings the authors bring us. XD

But of course I want more Kate and Curran!!! Me will always want more!!!

message 7: by Mariya (new)

okaiexz...I found the Blog post with the answers to Kate Daniels Book 7 last book?

Is Kate 7 the definitive last book you will write for this series? or is there the possibilty of more if your publishers buy in again with a new contract? (Same question for the edge series)I know its premature but i’m already dreading the end of the series, although I suppose in the event of an ending, I could be placated with a new series written by you… but it would still be quite sad.

This question has been cropping up a lot lately in the email. Kate is our bread and butter right now. The Magic series features a solid setting: there are so many factions, neighborhoods, and cool characters to keep the series going for a while. It also pays our bills. Most authors are working authors, with mortgages and college tuition, and children who like to be fed every day. Very few people can choose, as Castle had done, to murder the protagonist of their main series, because it’s simply not fun to write about him anymore. It would be equivalent to quitting your job with no prospects on the horizon.

How many books will be written depends on two factors:

a) Will people still like it and buy it?

b) Will we become creatively fatigued?

Very few series out there go past five-six books without degrading in quality. Look at Xanth. The first four, five books were great, and then it dissolved into silliness. There are always exceptions: Terry Pratchett, Robert Parker (it did eventually degrade, but it was excellent for a good twenty years, despite Susan), J.D. Robb. It would be nice to think that we were among the exceptions but that remains to be seen. We work very hard to maintain the quality of the series, and that creates a lot of pressure.

People have various opinions about the series having a definite end at seven books: some people are bummed out when thinking about it, some people are adamant the series should end quickly. Personally, it strikes me a little odd when people come out guns blazing to tell us that they’re huge fans of the series, but no, don’t write any more books in it. It’s like walking up to a concert pianist and telling him, “Your rendition of Bach was lovely, now please get off the piano, we’re done listening.” You might think it, but you would not necessarily tell that to the pianist’s face.

The decision ultimately belongs to us and I am disinclined to tolerate strong opinions one way or the other. Basically, nobody tells us what to do with our own storyline.

That said, if there is interest from the readers, who want the continuation of the series, and interest from the publisher, who feels the books are selling strongly and still have an audience, we will strive to continue writing past seven books.

In addition to the seven books under contract, there are also two spin-offs scheduled for the Magic series. One will likely feature Andrea and the other Dali. We already signed the contracts for the spin-offs; however, it’s possible the leading ladies will change. I am also not one hundred percent certain as to the format: will they be first person, third person, will they feature male POV, etc.

That brings us to other changes: the Alphas, which were supposed to be a novel, for now will have to become a novella. We will be working on it this week. As much fun as it would be to write a novel in that world, it is the weakest of our settings so far and it would need a lot of development. Our schedule this year is very rigorous.

The main reason for the switch, however, is that we would be spreading ourselves too thin. I’ve been seeing phrases like “fans of Ilona Andrews” and “Ilona Andrews’ long career” pop up here and there. It cracks me up. The first book was published in 2007. Our “long” career consists of four years. As much as I would like to be one of those gentle artists who simply can’t be bothered to think of practicalities. I realize that we’re still a new name and we’re basically a flash in the pan, at this point. We must be conscious of maintaining the quality of the brand, which means not throwing every idea out there, no matter how half-baked it is. After a long discussion with our agent, we decided to concentrate on Magic and Edge for now.

message 8: by valee (new)

valee mmm, I don't know about a spin off about Andrea and another about Dali, I like both characters but I'm not sure if as main characters...

message 9: by Mariya (last edited Feb 19, 2011 06:45PM) (new)

I'm not too fond of either ladies either. I hope they get changed to someone else or someone we have not met before. I mean I like Andrea but I don't think I would like a series about her as the heroine

message 10: by valee (new)

valee Exactly.

message 11: by Josie (new)

Josie | 23 comments I don't know, see I thought the same about the spin-off of Vampire Academy, thinking I'll never like the world from someone other than Rose's POV but after reading the last book, I'm really looking forward to it! I think you just gotta have faith that whatever they decide to do, they'll do it well and will make you love it in it's own right. Because ultimately they are brilliant authors :)

message 12: by MJ (new)

MJ | 7 comments I agree with all three of you, right now I feel like I would not like Andrea or Dali as the protagonist but that could change like with the Skin series a lot of people hated Addison Foster in the first book and couldn't imagine liking him as the hero in the second book but we got to know him so well in the second that a lot of us myself included changed our minds, so in that sense I think they might change my mind about both Andra and Dali :P

message 13: by Mariya (new)

The VAmpire Academy Series was different, b/c I really liked these characters. I mean a spin off about Sydney and Adrian I wouldn't mind b/c I really really enjoyed these characters, but I don't think I would enjoy Andrea and Dali b/c I liked them just as characters but not to hear their story. I mean I'm not even too crazy to read their short stories.

message 14: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 35 comments I agree with you all about Andrea or Dali. I would rather their male counterparts to be honest.

I am trying to think of what spin off I like just as much as the main book??

message 15: by Mariya (new)

I have never read a spin off before of a series before, but I can give you an answer in August when I read Vamprie Academy spin off series.

message 16: by carol. (new)

carol. I like the idea that they are focused on the quality, as well as the sales potential. If they maintain the same quality of world, I'm sure it would be an interesting read, whether Dali, Andrea or a male character. Dali could be an interesting examination of the sorcery/magic, as well as intricacy of shapeshifting while not having a killer instinct. Andrea would be an interesting look at a "deviant" part of that shapeshifter culture, as well as a look at being female and in the Order. The Order itself is less interesting to me, but I'm sure they would make it engaging.
Oddly, while I've read the Kate Daniels series a ridiculous number of times, I didn't care for the Edge at all.

message 17: by John (new)

John Van Stry (jvanstry) | 2 comments I enjoy the world they have created. Yes I would like to read more about Kate and Curran, but I wouldn't mind reading stories of other characters and people we either have or have not yet met in their world.

But even if they move on to other things I'm sure I'll find them interesting because they did such a great job with this series.

message 18: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ (last edited Feb 25, 2012 08:17AM) (new)

Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥  (mylheage) I'd love to read a story about Curran's past. I'd like to know more about his relationship with Mahon.

A short story for Derek and Ascanio would be cool too. Some adventure for them.

message 19: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Ossipov (hellbound) | 31 comments Mod
I do enjoy reading the male POV's. It's enlightening to read what they are thinking about and how very different story can be seen from a different point of view. Of all the POV's I've read, rarely anything but *major* points have any similarity to the original works.

What about a story about Kate and Curran having a child, and a spin off about the child as an adult, how the world has advanced more into the magic realm and less into the technology.

I think the order has some great possibilities as becoming the *major bad guy or element* after the revelation of the dislike for all beings not 100% human, I think expanding them into the bad guys would be very fitting, and considering their organization and their weapons availability, I think that could have some real possibilities as the 'bad element'

I really like Derek also as a character, especially because we have so much of his past, and how Curran has raised him.

Julie, is a cool kid and I could see spin off's of her very easily even working for Kate at the agency. So Kate or Curran could pop in on her now and then.

And I do like Andrea also, although my favorite clans are the heavy's and the cats.

This series was my first real introduction to the urban fantasy market, and there is a very special place in my heart for Kate, Curran and the world in which they live. I would miss them if their lives were not updated once or so a year :)

message 20: by Adaora (new)

Adaora (udojia) | 1 comments I love the Curran POVs--enlightening, entertaining and provides context which is lacking in so many other series. I love this world they have created. And I would love to see many more stories coming down the pike, there's such a rich roster to choose from.

message 21: by Anna (last edited Feb 08, 2013 03:16PM) (new)

Anna | 18 comments Have you guys seen the new IA post about how long the story arcs will run for? I think it was posted on their website Feb 4th.
http://www.ilona-andrews.com/news/pub...

message 22: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 53 comments Sorry I forgot to post it here, Thanks Anna!

message 23: by Lea (new)

Lea (kalicokat) | 2 comments I n

message 24: by Lea (new)

Lea (kalicokat) | 2 comments I think there will be 10 books in all

message 25: by Amanda (last edited Feb 26, 2013 11:00PM) (new)

Amanda (allee5) | 12 comments I have read the entire Kate Daniels series twice now. What I love reading most is Kate's sarcasm, Curran's dry humor and his stalker-ish behavior when he is trying to woo her.

I'm not sure what will Ilona Andrews give us in the future books, but I hope the series don't lose the spark after Kate and Curran got married. I will love to read how they will deal with a presence of their own child. We know that shape shifter loves having a big family. It will be weird if she doesn't bear a child for Curran soon.

About the spin off, I tried reading Gunmetal Magic, but half way through I switch to another book. I just didn't care enough for Andrea.

message 26: by Megs (new)

Megs | 2 comments 10 books yah!

message 27: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Smith | 3 comments Actually, I just read in a super long and revealing interview that there will be three more books in the Kate Daniels series, the one coming out soon and two more. Then there might, and probably will be spinoff books, but Kate and Curran will be retired, but showing up.

I kind of like that there is an end coming. I love these books, but I don't want it to be stretched out past reason *cough* Jeanine Frost *cough*. Plus, I just love everything they write so I'm excited.

If anybody is curious, the interview can be found here, there's also lots about their personal history, and how they became famous authors and such http://indtale.com/magazine/2015/july...