We LoveFilm discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Does anyone watch Spartacus? I've been meaning to watch this. I have a lot of co-workers who had talked about it. So I just started watching and love it. I don't know if its because of my smutty side (*blushes*) but those men are hot and I'm all caught up.

message 2: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Davina D. | 693 comments Mod
No, but you're right, I've been hearing about this show for a while now and I've been meaning to watch because indeed the men are absolutely gorgeous!

message 3: by Samantha (last edited Feb 21, 2011 06:58AM) (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Yes they are!

ETA: There's a lot of nudity (which I love) and violence so if you can't stomach that then this is not the show for you.

message 4: by Tina (new)

Tina I been catching up with in on STARZ on Demand. The first couple of episodes are a bit hard to swallow-- what with all the slow-mo blood-by-the-gallons spewing all over the place.

But I got sucked in and by the 5th the series really hits it's stride. They get away from all the fighting and blood and expands it out to political intrigue, feuds, romance etc.

Although Sparty is the main character, I am a bit partial to his rival Crixus and his forbidden romance with one of the house slaves Naeva. It is nicely done.

Also Lucy Lawless is fabulous as the scheming yet somehow still likeable wife of the owner of he Gladiator "School."

And then there is the actor Peter Mensah who plays the character Doctore, the trainer at the Gladiator school. He was the guy in 300 who gets kicked down the well by Gerard Butler in the beginning. He has the most beautiful face! I love his bone structure. I could just stare at him all day. Lol.

So needless to say, I've gotten sucked into this show. And yes, lots of sex and full frontal esp. male nudity. They show it all.

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Yes they do Tina! I just finish watching Season 1. The guy who plays Spartacus won't be back for Season 2 due to his cancer returning. I wonder how well I will like it then.

I admit that it took some time to get into it. Like you had mentioned, the first few episodes were hard to get into.

I like Spartacus but Crixus is yummy. I love his character. The dynamic of his relationship with the slave and even Lucy's character is interesting.

I like Peter Mensah as well. That beautiful skin of his. I do love me some dark skin :)

message 6: by Davina, The Modster (last edited Feb 21, 2011 11:27AM) (new)

Did you say MALE frontal nudity?!? I'm so watching this tonight! Forget The Amanda Knox Story ... lol

message 7: by Davina, The Modster (new)

By the way, from the tidbits you guys have given, it sounds suspiciously close to now cancelled Rome. Is the show by any chance created by Bruno Heller?

message 8: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Oh the "This is madness!" guy is it? I swear that line made his career.

Any yes, his long, bony facial features is quite appealing to look at.

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Davina wrote: "Did you say MALE frontal nudity?!? I'm so watching this tonight! Forget The Amanda Knox Story ... lol"

Haha! I tell you it was hard to keep a blank face when watching this b/c I was in male heaven!

message 10: by Tina (new)

Tina I know. I think my jaw dropped the first time Crixus turned around, full monty. And then...well it was off to the races! Woot! There is actually more male nudity than female, if you can believe it.

message 11: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments LOL! Tina, did you finish watching Season 1 yet? I'm watching the prequel and its interesting. You get to see how they all came into the Gladiators they became to be. There seems to be even more sex in this one!

message 12: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Spartacus: Blood & Sand that's season 1 right? What's the prequel?

message 13: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Yes that's season 1. Gods of the Arena is the prequel. It's proving to be scandalous.

message 14: by Tina (new)

Tina i have the last two eps left of season one. I was a little spoilerd for the last eppy so I am really stoked to see it. And then I'll get to the prequel. And then we wait for Season 2. I haven't seen who the new Spartacus is yet. I hope he's as good as the original.

message 15: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Me too Tina!

message 16: by Davina, The Modster (new)

So I saw the first episode of this last night and I really like! I love shows like these. It reminded me somewhat of Rome which was unfortunately cancelled after one season due to enormous production costs. Spartacus is a bit scrawny for my taste, but he's very nice to look at and I'm happy there's a strong romantic element to the story (without spoilers can you say whether their romance continues?). I could have done without the blood bath though. It's ridiculous how blatantly gratuitous the battle scenes are presented.

message 17: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Spartacus is little but he proves himself. He's very attractive to me but Crixus is my man. Which romance Davina? Which characters?

message 18: by Davina, The Modster (last edited Feb 22, 2011 06:40AM) (new)

Crixus has a nice bod on him, but he's too short! He lost out to Spartacus in that regard. lol
As for the romance, I'm talking about Sparactus and his wife. Damn, those two had some really hot love scenes! Love it! :)

message 19: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Funny you say that b/c I don't see him as short.

Spartacus and his wife will continue to go through some stuff. Just keep watching.

message 20: by Davina, The Modster (last edited Feb 22, 2011 06:52AM) (new)

LOL, Sam how tall are you? I'm 5'10. If my men aren't at least 6'5, they're short for me! :)

message 21: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Lol. OMG!!! I'm 5'6 and I can deal with 6 feet or taller but damn if they aren't 6'5 they are shorties? Lol.

message 22: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Omg! I got the season 1 box set on Friday and I've only seen the first 3 episodes so far, but I'm totally hooked!!! It's like crack ... only few doses and already I can't wait for my next fix.

The guys in this show are amazingly gorgeous! Loved the full frontal of Crixus. Yum. Very impressive!

I can't wait to watch the remaining episodes, but at the same time I don't want to go through them too fast. I want to savour each and every one.

Thanks for introducing me to this series. I *love* it. Why I took so long to tune into it is beyond me, but I am now one very happy viewer! LOL

message 23: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments OMG I went through them so quick. It was addictive and I love all of the nudity. I need season two to come out.

message 24: by Davina, The Modster (last edited Mar 03, 2011 11:13AM) (new)

I've now seen the complete first season of the show, plus the prequel Gods of the Arena. I must say this is TV at its absolute finest.

I'm absolutely in love with Spartacus and Crixus. They're like different sides of the same coin: one a calm, deliberate, generous soldier doing what he must to survive, the other a competitive, passionate, raging warrior.

I love all the beautiful male flesh and the fact that for once female audiences are able to enjoy and take full delight in admiring the men in all their naked glory. Crixus (or rather Manu Bennett) is an amazingly gorgeous man. At first I wasn't sure what to make of him: he's obviously very passionate and competitive and his obsession with reclaiming his title as champion was starting to grate on my nerves, but when they showed his tender side with Naevia I fell in love with him right along with her. He has his faults, but it was great to see a more tender, vulnerable side to him.

I was so gutted when Sura died. After all he's been through trying to get her back, my heart broke for poor Spartacus. However, Crixus & Naevia gave me hope. I loved every moment of them together, especially when Crixus is acting all wounded pride, jealous and territorial. :)

Spartacus & Mira - okay, so she's no Sura, but she seems like she'll be a good match for Spartacus. I love the banter between them. I hope their romance grows gradually. I like the fact that Spartacus misses his wife enough to not fall for another woman so quickly.

Quintus & Lucretia - perfect casting. The chemistry between these two is amazing. John Hannah masters the role of the amoral, social climbing Batiatus, and for me this is the highlight of Lucy Lawless's career. She was good as Xena the Warrior Princess, but she's even better as the scheming treacherous wife of Batiatus.

Of the minor cast I love Barca & Petros (I really bawled when things turned out so poorly for them). Ashur is pure evil, but the actor puts on such a stellar performance that you have to love to hate him. I'm not usually into blonde men, but Varro totally does it for me. I like that he's a loyal friend, and though not perfect he's dedicated to his family. Peter Mensah is great as Doctore (man, you can see the man means business when he cracks that whip! LOL), but I hated his storyline in Gods of the Arena. I will expound upon that later.

The guy with the 'horse cock' (lol) ... damn. It's very likely to have been a prosthetic penis, but if not Lord is he blessed! He was a sight to behold, and he wasn't bad looking either. Too bad his time on the show was so short-lived.

I love the slo-mo fight sequences, but generally I cringe at the sight of blood, so the gratuitous display of violence (with the blood flying everywhere, organs popping out of bodies, tongues sticking out of hacked off heads ::shudder:: etc) was very unnerving. That's just about the only thing I didn't like about the show.

As for Gods for the Arena, I liked it, but it wasn't the same without Spartacus. Gannicus is fine, but I didn't like the love triangle between him, Doctore and Doctore's wife. He needed to find his own woman. Why did they have to make the one major black character on the show compete with another man for the love of his woman? All the other men on the show are blessed with women who love them, and them alone, unconditionally, why not Doctore?

I didn't like that he was betrayed by the two people he loves the most without retribution. I, of course, didn't want him to find out and kill them, but I wanted him to know and be angry, and for the wife to fight to win him back. I'm sure if it was Spartacus or Crixus that would have been the necessary course of action.

Moreover, I don't mean to suggest Mensah is unattractive, but I think they should have cast a younger, more sexually attractive black male actor in the role and set him up as a sex symbol like they've done with the other men. But as usual the only major black character on the show is male (of course), and doomed to play the stereotypical honorable (but undesirable) black man. With the white (albeit hispanic) wife. Not good. God forbid they cast a black actress alongside a black male actor in a mainstream production.

Also while it was great to see more of Batiatus's treachery (and Solonius who turned out to be less of a villain than I first thought), I was hoping to learn more about Crixus and maybe see when he first started falling in love with Naevia.

Overall this is a very impressive show and my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I shall miss it now that it's over until next year. I'm absolutely gutted that Andy Whitfield has been robbed of continuing in the role. I'm friends with a lot of actors and the worse thing that can happen to you is getting the role of your career (after years of struggle) only to have it snatched away from you like this.

In addition to the worries of his illness, I'm sure Andy is feeling particularly horrible about this very fact. I pray that he'll beat this horrible disease -- not just for selfish reasons because I want to see him again on screen, but because he's so young, he has his whole life ahead of him, and two small children who need their father.

I will continue to watch the show if and when it returns for the sake of other characters, but for me Andy Whitfield is Spartacus. This other guy they've cast has his work cut out for him, if he's to win over audiences.

message 25: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Very interesting observations, Davina.

I will say that I was mad at Peter Mensah's character in Gods of the Arena b/c he didn't get his opportunity to shine. The scandalous triangle bit was a annoying at the end b/c I felt like his wife didn't love him b/c she was lusting after the friend. Yes, his friend was a cutie but get your own woman. I wanted him to find out that they had deceived him. Sure, it wasn't by choice initially but after that, everything was by choice. That let's me know that she had always lusted after him.

Secondly, I did question why they picked her for his wife b/c she is clearly not an AA character. But they always use this woman for her AA characters as if I can't tell she's Hispanic.

Varros was attractive to me too. I don't normally like curly hair like his. It tends to freak me out. In the beginning, I admit that I was disturbed by him but I got over it b/c he was such a great character. When I really looked in his face, I notice he was very cute.

Manu Bennett is just straight up gorgeous. What else is there to say? In Gods of the Arena, his character Crixus was a bit weak for a while but I got why he was arrogant in Blood and Sands.

message 26: by Davina, The Modster (last edited Mar 03, 2011 01:32PM) (new)

I didn't mind so much that we didn't get to see him in the arena. In a way I understood why the producers vyed from that path. You can't have too many champions fighting for prominence and glory. Crixus & Spartacus and Crixus & Gannicus created enough drama in that regard, imo. I was happy to see him continue as Doctore since the role commanded such respect.

As for his wife I think she did love him, but hers was not an erotic kind of love like she had for Gannicus. She loved him because as Gannicus said she holds the title of wife. It's her duty to love him. She clearly loved Gannicus more. Her true heart belongs to him (Gannicus). That is what annoys me the most. That all the other (white) gladiators had women who loved them, but Doctore's woman only settled.

It was clear to me from the first scene when she greeted him (after he finished off with the whores) that there was chemistry between them. This led me to believe there was always something there, and them being forced to have sex just culminated what already lay dormant in their breasts. The command given for the entertainment of that repulsive nobleman just provided them with the opportunity to act on feelings they've always had, but denied themselves because of loyalty to Doctore.

Even though the character Mensah plays is a Gaul historically (and therefore would not necessarily be black), I still think they could have cast a black actress to play opposite him. It's not like blacks weren't well represented in ancient Roman society. They were, as both Patrician and plebeian citizens of the city.

Then again this is largely a New Zealand/Australian production so the fact that all the black characters are either killed off (eg Barca & Petros) or portrayed as undesirable as is the case of Doctore, shouldn't really surprise me, but it doesn't make it any less annoying.

I mean, what are these producers so scared of? Unlike feature films where you usually have only one star who carries the whole film, the great thing about TV productions is that shows, the vast majority of the time, can explore several story arcs with several leads without losing audiences en masse because everyone will have their favourites who propel them to continue watching. It's great if they love all your couples, but this is rarely ever the case. Audiences will have their preferences and more they see of a character as well as how that character is portrayed will aid in them being more accepting of him or her. While Spartacus is obviously the star of the show and I love him, I'm very much into Crixus and his romance with Naevia. If not for them I probably wouldn't watch the show anymore now that Whitfield is out. But because I want to see more of these characters I will continue to watch.

Even if they don't give the black characters as much scene time (for eg in the case of Barca & Petros), can't they at least give them the same quality of roles and storyline? Why do they have to be killed off or presented as less worthy than other characters? What frustrates me is the fact that they don't have to do it, but they do it anyway. Why???

Even their (Doctore & the wife) love scenes weren't as long and detailed as the others. Having said that though I actually understood why. Mensah comes across as more of a father figure rather than a sex god like Crixus, Spartacus, Gannicus and even Varo. That's why I think they should have cast a sexier, younger, more virile black male actor on par with the others (certainly there's no lack of them in NZ and Australia!!!) who can entice the audience's lust so you want to see more of them getting it on. I mean isn't that why we love Sparty, Crixus, Gannicus, Varo, Dominus and all the others??? Ok perhaps not Dominus ... but you get my drift.

Sam, I noticed Varo's pleasing attributes early on in the show, but like you I wasn't feeling the platinum blonde curly hair. He's more to my liking in terms of height and a really nice body to go along with it. I thought Gannicus was cute as well, but I liked his body more than his face. Spartacus has the best face out of them all, I think. I like his facial expressions. And his features are sexy but kind.

As for Crixus's arrogance in Blood and Sand, what you say makes sense. He's coming from nothing and the crowd is the only family he has left that love him. While Spartacus and Varo had their women to look forward to, all he had was the hope that Naevia returned his affections. I think Crixus is the most complex character on the show. He's the conflicted, tortured hero we women love reading about in romance novels while Sparty is the nice, reliable (though totally hawwwt!:) guy next door type. I hate to choose between them. Why can't I have both???? LOL

message 27: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Andy Whitfield is absolutely gorgeous. I saw an interview with him and he is a beautiful man. I don't know how they will move forward without him. I have to admit that I probably won't be interested in Spartacus and Mina (whatever her name was) b/c he is not around.

Now what you say about Mensah's wife does make sense. But how could she really have loved him if she was only doing out of duty? I just didn't like that. True enough, when I think back, I remember wondering why she and Gannicus looked at each other funny style in the beginning. Maybe their lust was always dormant until awakened that one night. I just wanted him to have a good friend and a good wife. Know what I'm saying. In Blood and Sand, he tells Spartacus that he knows what it is like to lose someone. He lost his wife. I just wanted him to have something that was just his. It didn't play out that way.

message 28: by Davina, The Modster (new)

I totally agree. When I recalled that scene with Spartacus and Doctore it left a bitter taste in my mouth knowing that she died in the throes of betraying her husband with another man, his best friend. And she chose it to be so. She's totally undeserving of such a devoted husband. I liked her as a character, but I didn't feel bad for her when she kicked the bucket.

It all depends on the dynamic the new Spartacus brings to the character. I've done some investigations on him. He's an Australian actor called Liam McIntyre. Not bad looking, tall ... taller than Andy, but I don't know ... I have my doubts. Andy brought a certain vulnerable, human quality to the role and I'm not sure the new guy will be able to fill those shoes. He's a bit on the young side too, just 29. Andy is 36 and I think that's a good age for the character.

If he (McIntyre) manages to get the audience to fall in love with him, thereby forcing us to forget Andy in deed, though not spirit (a difficult feat but not impossible) then maybe he can also bring the audience to like his romance with Mira.

I don't mind Mira. She seems aright. I think Spartacus will eventually fall in love with her because she looks like Sura then as time goes by he'll love her for her. Only problem is I liked her with Andy as Spartacus. I don't know how the romance will fare when she hooks up with the new guy. They may have 0 chemistry.

We might yet be surprised though. McIntyre has very big shoes to fill, but if he has good skills then he'll pull it off. As a young actor, with this being his first major role, I hope he does; and for the fans who love the show and want to be entertained as they were in the first 2 seasons.

message 29: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments We shall see. I'm only watching to continue to see some of the story lines that I'm invested in (such as Crixus and Naeva) worked out.

message 30: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Indeed we shall. I'm happy that Blood & Sand ended on a relatively high note so that if nothing becomes of Season 2 or Liam McIntyre disappoints it won't be difficult to walk away from the show. But in that event, I hate to think I'll never hear that deep, raspy voice of Crixus again. Jeez, can you imagine having a man like that in your bed? Oh dear... :)

message 31: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Lol. Oh I can imagine :)

message 32: by Davina, The Modster (new)

I totally get why Lucretia chose him as her prized stud. LOL!

Any woman who can claim Manu Bennett as hers is indeed blessed with great fortune. Let's hope he's as nice on the inside as he's nice to look at on the outside.

message 33: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Uh huh. See you didn't get why I had liked him at first. But now you see. Beautiful!!!

message 34: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Yes, I do! I don't care if he's short he's fine! And can you believe the guy is 41?!? 41!!! He looks incredibly scrumptious for his age. If ever my husband starts bitching about taking care of himself (he doesn't by the way, thank goodness!) I'm waving Manu's picture in his face! LOL

message 35: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I forgot he is short by your standards. They have to be 6'5. Lol.

message 36: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Anybody watching Vengance? I'm loving the new dynamic to Crixus & Naevia's relationship. I want to see Crixus give her some mad TLC while teaching her to kick some serious Roman ass.

message 37: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Oh and what do you think of Liam McIntyre as Sparty?

He's starting to grown on me, I must say. I was worried about his chemistry with Mira, but they've got plenty.

message 38: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments He is growing on me as well. He is not the best thing, but he is definitely good.

message 39: by Davina, The Modster (new)

How are you liking the season so far?

message 40: by Davina, The Modster (new)

This will definitely tide me over until Game of Thrones returns next month!

message 41: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I like it. IMO it is not nearly as good as the first season but it is picking up. I don't know if it is me but I had mixed feeling about Lucy Lawless coming back. Don't get me wrong I love her. Absolutely loved her performance last season but I don't know. It feels forced. Know what I'm saying?

message 42: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Oh and Crixus is still my boo :)

message 43: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Yeah, I was a bit sceptical about her survival as well. I mean how exactly does someone survive a sword through the gut? But at the end of the day her (Lawless') husband is the lead producer on the show so it comes as no surprise that she wasn't killed off with Quintus. I agree with you though that her character at times seems a bit redundant. The show could have easily gone on without her.

I'm also with you about this season. The first season was epic! This season is very slow to build, but seems to be picking up. I'm glad Crixus and Naevia are reunited though their relationship isn't the same.

And Crixus seem a bit more broken this season. Not the boastful gladiator in top form he was in S1. I'll take him anyway I can have him, though!

message 44: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Interesting. I didn't know her husband was the producer on the show. No wonder she magically survived!!! Lol.

Well I'll keep watching :)

message 45: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Do you like the new Naevia?

message 46: by Davina, The Modster (new)

I do, but I prefer the other Naevia. I'm very visual so I'm big on the chemistry between on screen couples being just right and I think the previous Naevia had better chemistry with Crixus than the current one. But their time together (them as actors I mean) is relatively new so I'm willing to give them some time to warm up to each other. I imagine their love scenes will be explosive once Crixus helps Naevia get over her trauma. Needless to say I look forward to the day! Can you tell that I absolutely LOVE this series? lol

message 47: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Uh any sex scene with him should be explosive. I just don't even feel anything with her. She's so blah!

message 48: by Davina, The Modster (new)

What did you think of last night's episode?

message 49: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I liked it. I'm still not feeling Naeva. I notice this season Spartacus doesn't have any depth to him. His character is kind of flat. I want to see how this all plays out with Gannicus.

message 50: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Actually I'm feeling that way about Crixus! Nothing interesting happening with him so far this season. He seems to be gettin' old ... he's been getting his ass whooped quite a bit of late. What's up with that? I want the fierce Crixus back. lol

And I want more Crixus/Naevia screen time even though I'm not feeling that explosive chemistry between them!

Last night's episode was my least favourite of the season. Nothing epic happened. I wanted to see more of Crixus and Naevia, and I'm starting to feel bad for poor Mira. It's tough competing with a dead woman. She's obviously so in love with Spartacus and all he can think about is avenging his wife's death. I hope he gives her some good loving soon.

I even felt bad for Lucretia. The woman is a witch, but I don't like seeing her abused at the hands of evil Ashur.

« previous 1