Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Just Random > Speaking of random...

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Luann (last edited Feb 19, 2011 12:33PM) (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1004 comments If you haven't seen it yet, you might like to try out the new random button! Click the arrow next to the "explore" link on the header. It's the second to the last item on the list. A fun way to see some books you've never heard of - and maybe find something you will really want to read.

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina | 232 comments Cool! Thanks for pointing that out! :)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2803 comments Mod
That is really neat, Luann. I love playing with all the new gadgets, etc.

message 4: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1004 comments Natasha wrote: "I didn't notice that before. It really is random, too random so far. I wish they could make the random function so it would take the shelves that you have and pick random books from those shelves."

There actually is a "random" sort on the "my books" page. You can click on one of your shelves and then choose the "random" sort from the drop-down box at the bottom of the page. So if you chose your "to-read" shelf, you could decide to read whatever book it placed at the top when you sorted by "random."

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara (hoot31) | 196 comments Very cool! Thanks for finding that!

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 409 comments Be warned it can get very addictive, even if you don't end up adding books to your to read list. I spent well over an hour on it on the weekend without even realising the time flying past!

LMAO, Sam. I am warned. I can actually see myself doing that.

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 409 comments Just don't try it during your lunch hour, I did that yesterday and completely lost track of time! Luckily my work mates are sympathetic and understanding when it comes to my book addiction so they gently diverted my attention back to my work!

message 9: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8459 comments Mod
Great colleagues you have there, Sam.

message 10: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) I think they would be greater colleagues if they covered for you and let you KEEP ON SURFING goodreads! LOL

Sam - I love the way you said "gently".

message 12: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 192 comments I understand the "too random" comment now. Some don't even seem like they'd be easily accessible, but I'm a sucker for GR surfing, and know that there are more random button clickings in my future ;)

message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 409 comments Karen wrote: "Great colleagues you have there, Sam."

They are, aren't they! Incredibly understanding people!

Lynne wrote: "I think they would be greater colleagues if they covered for you and let you KEEP ON SURFING goodreads! LOL"

Oh if only they did! I don't think I'd ever get anything done then though (might try and suggest it next time lol)!

Lyn M wrote: "Sam - I love the way you said "gently"."

Thanks Lyn, you should see how they manage it, it's like they talking to a wild animal that could pounce on them at any moment if they make one wrong move! lol

message 14: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 409 comments Natasha wrote: "Lynne wrote: "I think they would be greater colleagues if they covered for you and let you KEEP ON SURFING goodreads! LOL"

My boss lets me do schoolwork and read my book if all our other work is..."

Wish we could do that, unfortunetly our work never seems to end, there's always something else that needs doing

message 15: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Sam wrote: "Karen wrote: "Great colleagues you have there, Sam."

They are, aren't they! Incredibly understanding people!

Lynne wrote: "I think they would be greater colleagues if they covered for you and le..."

Maybe it is more like dealing with an addict than a wild animal. Admit it...you are adicted to GR. I hear it is the first step to recovery.

Oh YAAAA!

message 17: by Sam (last edited Feb 28, 2011 05:01AM) (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 409 comments Impossible! Just because I can't be near a computer without going on GR and that seeing books makes me think about what GR reviews there are for them and how they may help my GR challenges does not mean...actually now that I think about it you may have a point there!!!!!

message 18: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 101 comments oh, wow that is too fun. So many of them have no ratings at all. I agree that some of it is a bit too random, but still fun. Thanks for pointing it out.