Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > ebook Page Numbers

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥ Susan (last edited Feb 19, 2011 04:17PM) (new)

♥ Susan  (mermaidx) | 9 comments One of the reasons I wanted Librarian status, aside from providing covers for books I come across without them (which I know probably makes me a loser librarian... but hey I'm visual ;-), is the incorrect number of pages listed for ebooks.

I do not use Kindle format but ebook format. For instance Amanda Hocking's "Hollowland" is listed as 312 pages. Barnes and Noble, who sells the ebook, lists it has having 312 pages.

So, I am reticent to correct this seeing B&N's listing -- however I am certain, as I own the book, that it actually has *679* pages!

I have run into this on most ebook titles. It is somewhat silly on the part of ebook formatters, since the page numbers could be anything. When you turn pages in ereaders, depending on the book formatting, font size, etc... you might turn 6 pages before a real page number changes. Conversely, and theoretically, the opposite can happen. So changing the page numbers on ebooks isn't necessary, it is always fluid, anyway. But I digress...

My question is, if I have the book, and I see it does indeed have, for instance, 679 pages rather than the listed 312 -- even if the seller/publisher/what-have-you lists it as 312 -- can and should I change it?

Amazon lists the paperback as 312 pages. The Kindle Version only states "Page Numbers Source ISBN: 1453860959" for page numbers. That ISBN refers to the PAPERBACK version of the book. Having no access to the Kindle version myself (I have a Nookcolor), I am not sure which is accurate. Though I suppose I could download the Kindle PC app to see -- I just hate to pay twice for the book in order to check.
[B&N only carries the "Nookbook" (read: ebook format) format.]

Thoughts? Advice? Instructions? Thanks so much.

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments I'd change the ebook one, since it also says it's and ePub! it...which is definitely B&N, which is what you have. I, personally, don't change what I can't verify through online sources (other than other members), or physically...so I'd leave the Kindle alone, until another librarian, who has it, comes along.

I must be a loser librarian, too...those blank covers drive me batpoop. (That's my outside voice...my inside voice used a different term.)

message 3: by ♥ Susan (new)

♥ Susan  (mermaidx) | 9 comments P.s. in the manual I see:

Page count
The number of pages in a book is meant to include all content except for advertisements and preview chapters for other books. Included end material may include acknowledgments, afterwords, appendices, glossaries, indexes, notes, and suggested discussion questions.

Introductory material paged using roman numerals is not included in the total page count.

Most e-book formats do not have a fixed number of pages since the pagination adjusts for screen size. For PDF specific editions, or any other fixed page e-books, the normal paging rules may be used.

For audio books, number of hours should be used in lieu of number of pages, when that information is known.

However ALL the ebooks I read have fixed page numbers.

Is this perhaps referring more generally to electronic copies, which would encompass Kindle and other formats that may not have fixed page numbers?

If not I don't see it as correct, but I am not an expert on electronic formats outside of ebooks (.epub)

message 4: by ♥ Susan (new)

♥ Susan  (mermaidx) | 9 comments Beth wrote: "I'd change the ebook one, since it also says it's and ePub! it...which is definitely B&N, which is what you have. I, personally, don't change what I can't verify through online sources (other than..."

Thank you so much!

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments No problem...I'm always full of opinions...and not usually shy about sharing them. :)

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23153 comments Susan wrote: "Is this perhaps referring more generally to electronic copies, which would encompass Kindle and other formats that may not have fixed page numbers?

If not I don't see it as correct, but I am not an expert on electronic formats outside of ebooks (.epub)"

Susan, there are many ebook formats which don't have fixed pages, as well as kindle.

That is why the manual states that only PDF & epub fixed pages can be used as page numbers. As far as I'm aware Kindle always uses % based on ppb edition of book.

If you have the epub version of a book and it is the correct ISBN please go ahead and change the page numbers of your edition only.

There can be many reasons why different editions have widely different page numbers such as font size, size of book - trade/mass market/hardcover etc.

message 7: by This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For (last edited Feb 20, 2011 11:40AM) (new)

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments Just for reference, Amazon has started adding page numbers to Kindle eBooks. How these will work and whether they will be available for all Kindles or only the newer ones (it'll require a firmware update) is unknown.

One of many online articles about this

message 8: by ♥ Susan (new)

♥ Susan  (mermaidx) | 9 comments Thank you all! ;-)

message 9: by Jenny (last edited Feb 20, 2011 09:16PM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 179 comments Amazon has said that the Kindle ebook page #'s are the same as those of the print versions of the books:

"Real Page Numbers - Our customers have told us they want real page numbers that match the page numbers in print books so they can easily reference and cite passages, and read alongside others in a book club or class. Rather than add page numbers that don't correspond to print books, which is how page numbers have been added to e-books in the past, we're adding real page numbers that correspond directly to a book's print edition. We've already added real page numbers to tens of thousands of Kindle books, including the top 100 bestselling books in the Kindle Store that have matching print editions and thousands more of the most popular books. Page numbers will also be available on our free "Buy Once, Read Everywhere" Kindle apps in the coming months. As with all of Kindle's features, we want you to lose yourself in the author's words, so Page Numbers are only displayed when you press the Menu button."
http://www.amazon.com/tag/kindle/foru...