Q&A with C. Lee McKenzie discussion

General Q&A > What do you write and love to read?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C. (new)

C. McKenzie (cleemckenzie) | 17 comments Mod
If you know me at all or know about my books, you know I write realistic, contemporary YA fiction. Most of the writers I share writing with also are in this category, but I sometimes dabble with a bit of magic when I create MG stories. I'm not sure how I made my choice, it certainly isn't the most popular one at the moment, but it fits me.

I do read some paranormal/fantasy since I have friends who publish in this category, and I love to read what my writer friends set down.

I hope you'll jump in and share what you write and read.

message 2: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Harrell | 1 comments I tend to read (and write) more paranormal/UF, just because I want to detach from reality while I'm reading. That, and I don't want to have to think much. Especially when reading (vs. writing), I like to turn off my brain.

message 3: by C. (new)

I think you are in a very large group, Jessie. Paranormal/fantasy is big and sells well. In my writing, I'm definitely swimming upstream, but the paranormal muse hasn't visited me yet. :-)

WIP at the moment?

Thanks for your message.

message 4: by Freddie (new)

Freddie Remza | 3 comments I write realistic fiction with international settings.
I get a kick out of traveling somewhere and then figuring out how I can use what I've seen and experienced in a storyline. I focus on the MG and YA reader with the goal of not only entertaining, but also perhaps teaching that the world is a curious place. I love hearing, "Mmmm...I'd like to go there someday."

message 5: by Adrienne (last edited Feb 23, 2011 06:22AM) (new)

Adrienne  (blueeyedadri) | 1 comments I'm with Jessie, I want to be propelled into a world and not let go. Having children has made me so much more emotional on a daily basis and reading contemporary/realistic fiction makes me bawl like a baby, think Jodi Picoult. Great writer but pulls at my heart strings too much.
I'm also a big mystery/crime/murder and horror reader too, if a book can worm its way into my dreams I love it, for some reason!

Writing wise, I write the same.

message 6: by C. (new)

Freddie wrote: "I write realistic fiction with international settings.
I get a kick out of traveling somewhere and then figuring out how I can use what I've seen and experienced in a storyline. I focus on the MG ..."

Hi there, Freddie. I keep meaning to write you and I'll do that today, so check that email! Still tell people about how clever you are with that travel+writing+love of all things curious and fun. Thanks for joining the discussion.

message 7: by C. (new)

Adrienne wrote: "I'm with Jessie, I want to be propelled into a world and not let go. Having children has made me so much more emotion on a daily basis and reading contemporary/realistic fiction makes me bawl like..."

You make my heart sing, Adrienne. Really. Picoult is a super writer, and anyone who reads contemp/realistic fiction + writes it gets my vote . . . for any office they run for. :-)

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Russell (vigorio) | 2 comments I read tons of Fantasy, a little Sci Fi, occasionally mystery. I write MG and YA Dark Fantasy and LOVE it. I can't imagine writing anything else. My debut novel comes out April 1st - Odessa of the Seraphym Wars Series. I'm so excited to see what others think of my little story (5 books in YA series). http://seraphymwarsodessa.blogspot.com

message 9: by C. (new)

Again, congratulations on your debut. I'll be looking for it. And thanks for stopping in to say hi and leave your link. Your blogspot looks great.

message 10: by Beverly (new)

Beverly McClure (beverlysmcclure) | 4 comments I read a little of everything and write a little of everything too. Just whatever pops into my brain. Sometimes it's pretty full.

message 11: by C. (new)

I think reading widely is so much better than sticking with one genre or category of writing. So I'm with you, Beverly.

I don't "get" Goodreads much either. Too darned complicated for my limited capacity. Thanks for stopping in and working though this with me!