Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Editor v. author

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

rivka | 41062 comments Mod
Currently, collections of shorts and the like generally have the editor listed as the author. Is that something that is going to be changed at some point, or are we likely to be keeping things as they are?

message 2: by Debbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

Debbie Moorhouse I've been wondering about this as well. Maybe a simple interim fix would be to add something like (ed.) after the name?

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

rivka | 41062 comments Mod
The problem with that is that it will create a separate author named "Name-of-author (ed.)" Which I don't think is what we necessarily want. Otherwise I'd be all for that solution.

message 4: by Debbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

Debbie Moorhouse I should have thought of that :).

Going back to the drawing board now....

message 5: by Rindis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

Rindis | 20 comments Would "Name-of-author (ed.)" be acceptable after the AKA system is in place?

Whether or not it is, a related question that deserves consideration is translator credits.

message 6: by Debbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:43PM) (new)

Debbie Moorhouse ok i'm back

How about a checkbox saying "editor" ?

message 7: by Lisa (not getting friends updates) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:43PM) (new)

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments Rindis & All, I put translator credits, illustrator credits, and commentary/notes by credits in the description box of my edition, at least when I'm manually adding books. For now, unless & until there's a better option.

message 8: by Rindis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:43PM) (new)

Rindis | 20 comments Seems reasonable. I'd like to see a better system though. The idea of maybe a 'role' dropdown could be good. The default is, of course, author, but other possibilities include editor, translator, illustrator, (and for graphic novels) penciller, colorist, letterer....

This could get real complicated if we let it. -_-

message 9: by Otis, Chief Architect (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

We will try to add roles to authors when we do the aka feature. It might make sense to just put the information in parenthesis after the author for now. For example "First Last (editor)".

Otis

message 10: by Lisa (not getting friends updates) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments * FIXED IT: Was able to go back to my web history from a couple of days ago and get to the book. Kept telling me author field was empty and I kept putting in the author and getting the same message. Finally was able to delete the book, and can now get back to the books on my children shelf!!! But wondering if there's a problem with adding (editor) or (translator) after an author's name in the author field?! (This was a book I added to begin with!)

It may be just a temporary glitch but I just tried to do that with a book, thinking editor, realizing translator, and now that book, and only that book, won't show.

I get the error message:

An unexpected error occurred. We will investigate this problem as soon as possible — please check back soon!

Right before this it kept saying there was an error because no author was listed. I had listed her as an author before with no problem until I added the parenthesis & role.

Everything was fine with this book and my shelves until I changed the author to a translator in parenthses.

And I can't get to/see the book at all. It might not have been because I put the role with parenthesis in, but all the other books I click in are showing fine. Will try again later also.

The book is Japanese Fairy Tales by Mildred Marmur (translator), as no author is given for this book.

AND: Oh help! Not only can't I access that book but I also can't access any other book on my childrens shelf either. Know it has to do with that book because I can get to all the other books/shelves.

I've quit & restarted computer, etc. etc. Any ideas about what I should/can do?!

Thanks.

Should I post to Goodreads feedback if this problem continues?. - Guess I'll wait a day and do that if this isn't resolved.

* FIXED IT: Was able to go back to my web history from a couple of days ago and get to the book. Kept telling me author field was empty and I kept putting in the author and getting the same message. Finally was able to delete the book, and can now get back to the books on my children shelf!!! But wondering if there's a problem with adding (editor) or (translator) after an author's name in the author field?! (This was a book I added to begin with!)

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 28, 2007 07:35AM) (new)

hi Otis,
actually, I've tried to do exactly input "First Last (editor)" several times last month but I always got an error messages when I clicked save. So I've given up.
What squirrel suggested would be really helpful, I mean the check box for editor.

message 12: by Otis, Chief Architect (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:46PM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
Aha! So that is what causes the homepage bug - thanks for helping nail it down! I think I've fixed it now - let me know if it happens anymore (wait until I release it first - later tonight).