The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 5.1- Waltzing Matilda

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 14, 2011 10:12AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17867 comments Mod
5.1 Waltzing Matilda- Read a book with a word from any form of dance: ballet, waltz, tango, electric slide etc. OR any variation of the word "Dance" in the title. Here's a list to get started: List of Dances ex. I Was a Dancer, High Plains Tango: A Novel "Electric Slide": Slide Rule or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Required: if you use the dance word option you must post the name of the dance.

If you have questions, need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

message 2: by Dlmrose (last edited Apr 11, 2011 03:56AM) (new)

any variation of "dance" works- even compound words
Falcondance

Words from any dance or dance style should match

Dances not on the lists work- please provide a reference when you post
Fancy war dance= ok
Tsyganochka, ("Gypsie Girl") - girl = ok
Sun Moon Dance= ok
pop and lock= ok

message 3: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 01, 2011 08:37AM) (new)

Breaking Night: A Memoir does not work for break dance

message 4: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Do subtitles count? I was thinking of Apollo's Angels: A History of Ballet.

message 5: by Dlmrose (new)

Gayla wrote: "Do subtitles count? I was thinking of Apollo's Angels: A History of Ballet."

That works. Subtitles count, but series titles do not

message 6: by ♥Meagan♥ (last edited Feb 20, 2011 08:04AM) (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 104 comments If anyone needs ideas, here is a link to a long list of dances :)

http://www.paulsquiz.com/Trivia_Quiz_...

I didn't notice the one in the description, haha. Here's another I guess :)

message 7: by Audiaa (new)

Audiaa | 100 comments Would breaking work as a form of breakdancing? I was thinking about reading Breaking Night: A Memoir.

message 8: by Dlmrose (new)

Sorry no, if you choose the word option is must be the same word.

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments oh goodie- one of my group reads for another group next month is Swing for swing dancing - yay!

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments I am planning on reading a book about dance but it doesn't have the name of a specific dance type in the title. The book is Sweat Your Prayers: Movement as Spiritual Practice and it's about dance being used in religious contexts. Does this count? It's all about dancing....

message 11: by Dlmrose (new)

Sorry, it doesn't fit this task- but you could use it for my 30.4 task part A- non-fiction about an interest

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Sorry, it doesn't fit this task- but you could use it for my 30.4 task part A- non-fiction about an interest"
ok that makes sense, I thought it was a stretch but that will work instead! Yay I love this group I just discovered it and it really appeals to the video game achievement whore that I am :)

message 13: by Dlmrose (new)

Glad to help. Have fun!

message 14: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Rain dancing is listed in the "list of dances" link from the task description. So any book with "rain" in the title will work? Just double checking...

message 15: by Dlmrose (new)

Lahni wrote: "Rain dancing is listed in the "list of dances" link from the task description. So any book with "rain" in the title will work? Just double checking..."

It works, just be sure to state rain dance as the dance when you post the completed task

message 16: by Christina (new)

Christina (stinalynne04) How about ice dancing - An Ice Cold Grave

message 17: by Dlmrose (new)

Christina wrote: "How about ice dancing - An Ice Cold Grave"

It works.

message 18: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sandra72) | 726 comments One of the dances listed is "Castle Walk". Would The Walk work?

message 19: by Dlmrose (new)

Sandra wrote: "One of the dances listed is "Castle Walk". Would The Walk work?"

Yes, it would

message 20: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 78 comments How about The Long Walk?

message 21: by Dlmrose (new)

Brenda wrote: "How about The Long Walk?"

That works too- just be sure to state "Castle Walk" as the type of dance when you post

message 24: by Dlmrose (new)

Chinook wrote: "Can I use The Ayatollah Begs to Differ: The Paradox of Modern Iran as modern dance?"

yes, cite "modern dance" if you use this book

message 25: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments For anyone who likes travel writing this is a great book - The Bird Man and the Lap Dancer: Close Encounters with Strangers.

message 26: by RedSycamore (new)

RedSycamore | 111 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Sorry no, if you choose the word option is must be the same word."

Does this mean that plurals won't count either? For example, Long Sword Dance for A Crown of Swords?

message 27: by Dlmrose (new)

Rachel Renee wrote: "Dlmrose wrote: "Sorry no, if you choose the word option is must be the same word."

Does this mean that plurals won't count either? For example, Long Sword Dance for A Crown of Swords?"

It should match- but you could use Crown Dance

message 28: by RedSycamore (new)

RedSycamore | 111 comments Dlmrose wrote: "It should match- but you could use Crown Dance"

Thanks! I didn't even see that one.

message 29: by Dlmrose (new)

It wasn't on the lists- dances that don't appear on the lists are ok- just provide a reference when if you use this book when you post

message 31: by Angela (new)

Angela (ohme_ohmy) | 42 comments I really want to read Waltz with Bashir: A Lebanon War Story and wanted to be sure this qualifies since it is a graphic novel. Please let me know if this works.

Thank you :)

message 32: by Dlmrose (new)

Angela wrote: "I really want to read Waltz with Bashir: A Lebanon War Story and wanted to be sure this qualifies since it is a graphic novel. Please let me know if this works.

Thank you :)"

It works. (looks interesting, too) Graphic novels are fine in all tasks unless specifically excluded.

message 34: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Cool thanks:-D

message 35: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments How about "war" for war dance? Trying to fit in a book and thinking of all phrases/words with dance.

message 36: by Dlmrose (new)

Cindy AL wrote: "How about "war" for war dance? Trying to fit in a book and thinking of all phrases/words with dance."

Found Fancy war dance. If you use it, please provide a reference when you post.

message 37: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments thanks

message 38: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments I was wondering if A Hoe Lot of Trouble by Heather Webber would work for this task using Hoe as in Hoe Down? Thanks.

message 39: by Dlmrose (new)

Sheila wrote: "I was wondering if A Hoe Lot of Trouble by Heather Webber would work for this task using Hoe as in Hoe Down? Thanks."

I haven't found a reference for "hoe down" with two words. I have seen it as hoe-down and hoedown. If you can find a reference, I'll consider it.

message 40: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Hoedown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A Hoedown is a type of American folk dance or square dance in duple meter, and also the musical form associated with it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoedown

message 41: by Dlmrose (new)

Sheila wrote: "Hoedown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A Hoedown is a type of American folk dance or square dance in duple meter, and also the musical form associated with it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoedown"

But the words need to match, so it needs to be two words to use "hoe"

message 42: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments OK Dlmrose,

I'll read Dance of Death by Douglas Preston instead.

Thanks

message 43: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 104 comments One of the dances on the list is Tsyganochka, ("Gypsie Girl") Russian could I use The Girl Who Could Fly for it?

message 44: by Dlmrose (new)

♥Meagan♥ wrote: "One of the dances on the list is Tsyganochka, ("Gypsie Girl") Russian could I use The Girl Who Could Fly for it?"

Yes, that works.

message 45: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 104 comments Yay! Thanks :)

message 46: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Would Cadence of the Moon work? I was first thinking of Moonwalk, but that is one word, but there is a Native American dance called the Sun Moon Dance. "The Sun Moon dance is open to all people who seek the inspiration to live a life of greater spiritual awareness and who are willing to invest the effort"

message 47: by Dlmrose (new)

Terri Fl wrote: "Would Cadence of the Moon work? I was first thinking of Moonwalk, but that is one word, but there is a Native American dance called the Sun Moon Dance. "The Sun Moon dance is open t..."

Sun Moon Dance works- please include the reference when you post

message 48: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Thanks!

message 49: by Rach (new)

Rach (rachlovestv) | 263 comments I noticed on the list of dances under Tango, Chinese Tango is listed. Is it ok if I use American Born Chinese?

Thanks!

message 50: by Dlmrose (new)

Rach wrote: "I noticed on the list of dances under Tango, Chinese Tango is listed. Is it ok if I use American Born Chinese?

Thanks!"

Yes, that works

« previous 1