Comfort Reads discussion

Chit Chat > Book Game

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John A friend from my Victoria book group introduced me to this game. Pick up the book closest to you (no cheating looking for a special book)), open it to page 56 and tell us what the 5th sentence says. It is fun to see what crops up.

Here is a start:

That didn't work well. Page 56 on the first book I picked up was blank because it was between sections. So here is an entry from the second book I picked up.

"Wherever you happen to be for any length of time, have a safe house, a personal one."

from Restless

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

The books closest to me were both Japanese dictionaries, so I took the third closest, Ever By My Side: A Memoir in Eight Acts Pets:

"She didn't need to -- her bearing and pace said it all, a derisive 'How dare you frighten my cat!'"

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda (mspianobug) The book closest to me is Doctor Bloom's Story and on page 56 the 5th sentence is: Where was ____? Hahaha. That was fun.

message 4: by Maude (new)

Maude | 479 comments "It seemed to comfort him if not provide real warmth." from Letters from Yellowstone, by Diane Smith.

message 5: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Lee (leekat) | 3959 comments Mod
"The famous tea master, Sen no Rikyu - the one who had helped transform the tea ceremony in the sixteenth century - had three grandsons, each of whom established a Kyoto tea school to carry on Rikyu's unique art of tea."

From Untangling My Chopsticks: A Culinary Sojourn in Kyoto

message 6: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) 1st book I picked up only had 2 sentences on p.56
2nd book -
Who buys has need of two eyes
But one's enough to sell the stuff.
Anonymous
from Phillips' Book of Great Thoughts & Funny Sayings: A Stupendous Collection of Quotes, Quips, Epigrams, Witticisms, and Humorous Comments. For Personal Enjoyment and Ready Reference.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice Martha. I love those books full of quotes!

Lee: are you enjoying Untangling My Chopsticks?

message 8: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks The book closest to me is a secondary book I am reading on "The Secret Garden" The Secret Garden: Nature's Magic. The fifth sentence on page 56 is one of the longest on that page, ha.

Being told, the morning after their first visit, that Colin wants to see her, Mary considers that "she did not want to see Colin as much as she wanted to see Dickon," and when she tells Colin he reminds her of a rajah, she adds that he is very "different" from Dickon (14:145-46).

message 9: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Jeannette wrote: "Nice Martha. I love those books full of quotes!

Lee: are you enjoying Untangling My Chopsticks?"

Yes, I'm enjoying it. It's a very easy read. Not deep, maybe because the author was young but I love reading about food and Japanese culture so it's easy for me to pick up and put down in between other things.

message 10: by Hayes (last edited Feb 22, 2011 10:45AM) (new)

Hayes (hayes13) "Each morning you would jump out of bed to find that the laces had somehow become four feet longer on one side of the shoe than the other."

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 1853 comments "He swirled together wilder and wilder mixtures, eventually mixing dried blood, potash (potassium carbonate), and green vitriol (iron sulfate), then stewing them over an open flame."

The Poisoner's Handbook Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York by Deborah Blum The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York by Deborah Blum

message 12: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Kathy wrote: ""He swirled together wilder and wilder mixtures, eventually mixing dried blood, potash (potassium carbonate), and green vitriol (iron sulfate), then stewing them over an open flame."

[bookcover:Th..."

Hmmmm.... I'm not having dinner at Kathy's house this month! (Just kidding, dear! How are you?)

message 13: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Sounds like a good one Kathy!

message 14: by Maude (new)

Maude | 479 comments "McDonaugh was drinking tea whilst flicking through the pages of The Encyclopedia of Demons and Demonology."

From Gentlemen & Players, by Joanne Harris

message 15: by Stephanie Peder (last edited Feb 23, 2011 09:52AM) (new)

Stephanie Peder (stephpeder) | 1 comments "We must see what further cards we have in our hands and play them with decision"

from The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Aladdin Classics Edition)

message 16: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) "In drama they also did a little skit where two people go to a pub, which is a bar,an one asks the other if he or she would like a drink, and then tells him to look somewhere off-'Oh, look at that interesting menu over there, how fascinatingly interesting'-and then, plip, poisons the person's drink by dropping a little tiny red pill into it."
fromThe Everlasting Story of Nory by Nicholson Baker.

Look it up: it's practically an entire story, that line!

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 1853 comments Hayes wrote: "Kathy wrote: ""He swirled together wilder and wilder mixtures, eventually mixing dried blood, potash (potassium carbonate), and green vitriol (iron sulfate), then stewing them over an open flame."
..."

LOL! I came across this book and couldn't resist buying it. It looks very interesting, especially since I love the mystery genre so much.

message 18: by Jaye (new)

Jaye " "The little kids think they must have done something really bad because Santa Claus doesn't come anymore," Mary Kate said."

from the short story JENNY by Melanie Tem
in Isaac Asimov's Mother's Day by Gardner R. Dozois
Isaac Asimov's Mother's Day

message 19: by John (new)

John From Rick Bragg's All Over But the Shoutin' - he is talking about his father's relatives.

"They fought each other like cats in a sack, existing - hell no, living - somewhere between the Snopeses of Faulkner's imagination and the Forresters of The Yearling"

message 20: by Maude (new)

Maude | 479 comments From Angel Trumpet, A Civil War Mystery, by Ann McMillan:

"The women are just as bad: dirty, deceitful, no morals."

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

The Very Best Baby Name Book

Camilla (Italian) a form of Camille. See also Mila.
Camia,Camila, Camillia, Chamelea, Chamaelia.

NO! I'm not pregnant at my age. I was working on a writing project! :P

message 22: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 8 comments When they took leave of each other by the roadside, Raoul, pressing a kiss on Christine's trembling hand, said: "Mademoiselle, I shall never forget you!"

page 56 of The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

message 23: by Hattie (new)

Hattie | 3 comments "Oh really, sir? Thanks, that's great."

From The Bartimaeus Trilogy Book 3: Ptolemy's Gate.

message 24: by John (new)

John "If you deviate off course. or God forbid rush through any step of the process, she'll come unglued."

From Never Knowing.

message 25: by Kim (last edited Jun 05, 2011 09:24PM) (new)

Kim (kimmr) | 931 comments "You see, at twenty-two and thirtysomething, Sara and Dara are both virgins."

From Censoring an Iranian Love Storyby Shahriar Mandanipour.

message 26: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

"Grampar's chair resented anyone else sitting on it as much as he did himself."

From Among Others by Jo Walton

message 27: by Elizabeth S (new)

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 1 comments The closest book to me is Fred and Ted like to fly (Beginner Books(R)) by Peter Anthony Eastman which only has about 40 pages. The next closest is Calamity Jack (Rapunzel's Revenge, #2) by Shannon Hale , which yields:

"I'm home, Momma!"

You may be able to tell that I'm sitting next to a pile of library books picked by my kids. :)

message 28: by Will (new)

Will Todd "Captain of the afterguard!" yelled Savage, his voice cracking.

Ship of the Line by C.S. Forester

"SHIP OF THE LINE" by C.S. Forester.

Todd

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisaspoot) "I love the little image of Derrida spending an evening praying and ordering pizza to prove they're not the same thing."

Hehe that one made me giggle :)

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) "He allowed them to stop for a minute, as he told Lionel the rest of the story."

CAMPFIRE GHOST STORIES VOLUME II, by A.S. Mott