Nobel Prize Winners discussion

Discussion Archive > Next Group Read - from 20th March

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 17, 2011 11:23PM) (new)

Time and tide wait for no man- not sure where that comes from, Shakespeare? Anyway we need to start thinking about our next group read to start on 20th March.

What I suggest is that we each nominate a Nobel Prizewinning author from the period 1991-2000. We will then vote on which author to read. Once we have selected an author from that period, we will then nominate a particular book from that author's oeuvre.

So please, let's have your nominations from the Prizewinners between 1991 and 2000.

Nominations for the choice of authors will close on Sunday, 27th February

message 2: by Cl. (new)

Cl. | 43 comments Hi. Sorry I haven't been part of The Green House discussion, a mix-up at the library prevented me from getting the book in time. However, something I like about how the discussion threads are organized... anyone can comment at any time as they read a particular author or book.

Looking through the authors from the '90s, I'd like to nominate Saramago. He seems to have an interesting world view.

The only author in that decade I haven't read is Toni Morrison. Although I feel as though I have--perhaps because she was much in the media. She might be another possibility.

message 3: by Digdem (new)

Digdem Serter (digdemserter) | 6 comments Hello. Tough to decide because numbers of writers I admire their writings were rewarded between 1991 and 2000 but if I have to nominate an author, that would be Gunter Grass and one of his best "The Rat". I wish that one day I could read him in his mother language.

message 4: by Carrie (last edited Feb 27, 2011 06:09AM) (new)

Carrie Ridgeway | 13 comments The only author in this time frame that I have read is Toni Morrision - "The Bluest Eyes" and "Beloved". I would Gunter Grass or Nadine Gordiner.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

OK, we have four nominations for which author to read drawn from the Prizewinners of 1990 - 1999. Please cast you vote by Sunday next, 6th March.

Please use the poll on the top right of this page. The poll can also be accessed at the bottom of the page.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, the people have spoken and Toni Morrison has been selected as the next Nobel Prizewinning author to be read.

What we have to decide now is which of Toni Morrison's book to read. So please nominate a Toni Morrison book. Bruce has suggested either 'Sula' or 'Song of Solomon', and as I have only ever read 'Jazz' and got about halfway through 'Beloved' I am willing to be guided by you.

I'll put up the poll based on your nominations on Friday next.

message 7: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Ridgeway | 13 comments Still slogging through "The Green House" - LOL! About half-way through it. For our next read, I would also vote for "Sula", but I will gladly bow to the will of the group.

message 8: by Digdem (new)

Digdem Serter (digdemserter) | 6 comments I vote for "Sula", always wanted to read that book

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 12, 2011 03:30AM) (new)

Right then, 'Sula' it is, in the absence of any alternative nominations. Anyone feel up to leading us with this one, preferably a Morrison fan?

message 10: by Lauli (new)

Lauli I couldn't vote in the poll because I had a hectic week, but I'm so glad you picked Sula because it's the only one of her major works I still haven't read, and I already own a copy, so I'll be definitely joining in on this one.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Lauli wrote: "I couldn't vote in the poll because I had a hectic week, but I'm so glad you picked Sula because it's the only one of her major works I still haven't read, and I already own a copy, so I'll be defi..."

We didn't need a poll as 'Sula' was the generally agreed nomination. I'm off to the library to try and find a copy, otherwise I'll support my local independent bookshop in preference to Amazon as there doesn't appear to be a Kindle version.

message 12: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Ridgeway | 13 comments Picked up my copy at the library also. Looking forward to reading this one.