The History Book Club discussion

Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell #1)
This topic is about Wolf Hall
BRITISH MONARCHY/ROYAL HOUSES > 2. AL - WOLF HALL - PART II - CHAPTER 2 (65 - 153) (02/28/11 - 03/06/11) ~ No spoilers, please

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Feb 27, 2011 08:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bentley | 44168 comments Mod
This write-up - thanks to Garret.

Hello,

During the week of Feb 28 – March 6, we are listening to and/or reading Part II Chapter 2 pp 65-153.

This thread will discuss the following:

Week 2 – Feb 28 – March 6-> Part II Chapter II An Occult History of Britain 1521-1529

Remember, these weekly non spoiler threads are just that - non spoiler. There are many other threads where "spoiler information" can be placed including the glossary and any of the other supplemental threads.

We will open up a thread for each week's reading. Please make sure to post in the particular thread dedicated to those specific chapters and page numbers to avoid spoilers. We will also open up supplemental threads as we have done for other spotlighted reads.

We kicked off this book on February 21. We look forward to your participation. Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other noted on line booksellers do have copies of the book and shipment can be expedited. The book can also be obtained easily at your local library, on iTunes for the ipad, etc. However, be careful, some audible formats are abridged and not unabridged.

There is still time remaining to obtain the book and get started. There is no rush and we are thrilled to have you join us. It is never too late to get started and/or to post.

Welcome,

Garret

This is a link to the complete table of contents and syllabus thread:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

TO SEE ALL WEEK'S THREADS SELECT VIEW ALL

This is a kick-off book for the Audiobook folder.

Remember this is a non spoiler thread.

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel Hilary Mantel Hilary Mantel

Garret (ggannuch) Week 2

In this Chapter Mantel gives us a strange mythical history of ancient Britain, as well as a run down of the monarchy. We learn about Ann Boleyn’s character from Wolsey and Cromwell. We meet Sir Thomas Boleyn, her plotting father. We learn that Cromwell murdered a man 20 years before. We hear the gossip about Mary Boleyn. We hear the story of Henry and Katherine’s offspring. And we witness Wolsey’s attempts to convince the church that Henry should be given an annulment. We hear about Cromwell’s tough daughter Anne. Cromwell’s wife Liz dies of English Sweating Sickness, a presumed viral epidemic now thought to be caused by a hantavirus. We begin to see Thomas More through Cromwell’s eyes. This is not the saintly Thomas More we often meet in other historical fiction. Cromwell’s success as a lawyer is described. We also learn more about Cromwell’s childhood and listen in on his reunion with his father. And his daughters die from sweating sickness.

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Boleyns do not seem like the folks you want to get involved with.

Garret (ggannuch) You might want to steer clear of the lot of 'em!

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Garret, you are making me laugh.

Garret (ggannuch) Does anyone have any thoughts on the occult history of Britain? Would those legends have influenced Henry in choosing to marry Anne Boleyn? Do you think legend had a role in the perpetuation of the monarchy?

Any thoughts about why Cromwell is attached to Wolsey?

Are you suprised about how gentle Cromwell was with his children?

Why do you think Cromwell is so driven?

message 7: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

Henry seems to be very wrapped up in the occult...some very strange dreams and I think out of guilt.

I think that now I could answer this but not before: I think it is power. Where could a person like Cromwell of non noble birth acquire such instantaneous power and esteem other than the route he took.

Yes, I am frankly...he seemed to love his children and wanted to be the father that his father was not to him.

He is driven I think because of what is father was not.

Garret (ggannuch) I think you are right. thanks for the comments

message 9: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 4 stars

You are welcome...I am enjoying the listen but find I always want to reread something that was listened to far earlier because now I think that I can make the connection. But where was it (lol).

Garret (ggannuch) So true

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wolf Hall (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Hilary Mantel (other topics)