Best Teen Books discussion

RE: Book pick

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, what is everyone reading and what do you recommend for a good teen read? Let me know about age appropriateness

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimbeaumont) | 8 comments This is a very broad question. Is the book for you or someone else? If so, what genre(s) do you like? How old is the person reading the book? I know teen, but there's a difference between a 13-year-old and an 18-year-old.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I am sorry, I teach 7th and 8th grade Language Arts, and I love to read teen reads and then let my students check out these books from me. Almost any genre will do----

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (sherryteach) | 2 comments This is still a very broad topic. You really need a huge variety to appeal to your students. In my 7th grade classroom, I have everything from the Diary of a Wimpy Kid, to all the Twilight books (which I personally dislike) to sports mysteries, and mythology. Definitely you must have The Lightning Thief, The Hunger Games, a good variety of books my Margaret Haddix, Todd Strasser, Gary Paulsen, Jerry Spinelli, Gordon Korman. I'm sure I can make a good list of what gets checked out of my library and always had a waiting list. I also have a "slightly mature" shelf behind my desk that I only pass out to selected students.

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen | 36 comments Are you building a library? I can send you a list of my most popular books - I teach 7th grade as well.

Just off the top of my head...Vlad Tod series, Percy Jackson series and Rick Riordan's new book The Lost Hero, the Gone series by Michael Grant, The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, Shiver, Linger, Gallagher series by Ally Carter, anything by Meg Cabot, Hunger Games series, Alex Rider series, anything by Darren Shan - Cirque du Freak series and Demonata series, The Eternal Ones, anything by Sarah Dessen, and the list could go on and on!

message 6: by Angela Sunshine (last edited Feb 24, 2011 01:16PM) (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I'd add Neal Shusterman books to your list, especially Unwind.
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld
The Knife of Never Letting Go series by Patrick Ness
Speak, Twisted and Wintergirls are all great by Laurie Halse Anderson

message 7: by Carlette (last edited Mar 23, 2011 02:34AM) (new)

Carlette Odemwingie (oco705) | 10 comments Tears of a Tiger (Hazelwood High, #1), Graceling, Fire, Heist Society, The Iron King, The Iron Daughter, The Iron Queen, Almost Perfect, As You Wish, Nightshade, Need, Captivate, Entice, These are some books that I read either in middle school or just last month so i think your students will like them and so will you!

message 8: by Pam (last edited Apr 19, 2011 09:00AM) (new)

Pam Williams | 47 comments I work in a middle school so I read a lot of fiction that is suitable for middle school but my own taste tends to run to 9th grade and up. I recently read Matchedand thought it was appropriate for middle schoolers. My students really like Leviathanand Behemoth. The The Ruins of Gorlan Ranger's Apprentice series is very popular right now. I also recommend Empty,Need, and The Limit. If you are looking for something a little more mature I like The Luxeseries and A Great and Terrible Beauty. I could go on and on but this should give you a good start on your library.