Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Owned/Wish List Designation

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (lunchboxsw) | 2 comments Have had a few people ask if there is a way that a feature can be added where a book can be designated as either "don't own," "own," or "wish list." Thinking also with the interfacing with B&N and amazon.com there could easily be a way to automatically add a book to a wishlist on one or more of those sites if the user is logged into them.

On that vein, it would be terrific to also have a designation that would let the user list who they lent their copy of a book to.

Either way, amazing site! Have been only around for a short time but it is very engaging and helpful to share "good reads" with others.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43545 comments Mod
Aaron, comments like these are best posted in the Feedback Group.

However, users actually CAN mark books as "owned", and it's fairly easy to add/enable a wishlist shelf.

Many of us use the private notes field (sometimes in concert with a custom shelf called "borrowed" or similar) to track books we have lent out.

message 3: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (lunchboxsw) | 2 comments Thanks for the info and the idea about borrowing/lending.

How do I add books as "owned"?

And do you know what I mean about the wishlist? I mean that it would be great if I added a book to a wishlist here and it would automatically add it to my wishlist on amazon.com

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43545 comments Mod
On the edit review page for a book, be sure the "more options" toggle has been clicked. Near the bottom is an option to indicate whether you own a book.

Having the info transfer to Amazon would require Amazon to allow information to flow in that direction. My understanding is that they have been reluctant.

message 5: by Jonathon (new)

Jonathon (jonp) | 146 comments Or to add multiple books on your shelves to owned go to "my books" click "batch edit" select the books and then click "add to owned."

If you want to add condition, additional copies or other details you still need to go to the edit review page.

message 6: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments Jon wrote: "Or to add multiple books on your shelves to owned go to "my books" click "batch edit" select the books and then click "add to owned."

If you want to add condition, additional copies or other details you still need to go to the edit review page."

You can change condition and other details on the shelf view you just have to add those fields to your shelf by changing the shelf settings. There is even a default column set of owned that contains those fields.

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim (mimig) | 2 comments Hi! Can anyone help me figure out how to import my "to-read" shelf to my wishlist? I can't seem to figure it out, and I would appreciate any help! Thanks!! :)

K

message 8: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments Kim wrote: "Hi! Can anyone help me figure out how to import my "to-read" shelf to my wishlist? I can't seem to figure it out, and I would appreciate any help! Thanks!! :)

K"

Do you mean the goodreads wishlist that is used for bookswap or something outside of goodreads like an amazon wishlist?

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim (mimig) | 2 comments the Goodreads Wishlist..I thought it automatically showed up on my wish list when I clicked "to-read", but that didn't happen. Thank you for replying! :)

message 10: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments Kim wrote: "the Goodreads Wishlist..I thought it automatically showed up on my wish list when I clicked "to-read", but that didn't happen. Thank you for replying! :)"

Wishlist is just a shelf in goodreads. Go to My Books, click on (edit) beside bookshelves and enter wishlist in the add a shelf box at the bottom of the page. Then go back to my books, change your per books number (at the bottom of the page) to be 100 (because select all in batch edit only does one page at a time) and click on batch edit. Click on select all. In the shelves box, change the shelf to wishlist and click on add selected.