Writers Unite discussion

Contests > Contest # 4 Dear Diary (Feb 17th - March 17th)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) How amny of you write a diary, sometimes having in mind 'what if someone read this' then lol-ing. I know I do that a lot - sometimes I just write stuff fit to be published and read throughout the world. But then again, diaries are known for privacy and most times we don't want anyone peeking.

What I'd like you to do is write a short Dear Diary - something that could've happened, something you made up and think it could be a good journal entry, something funny, something dark - well you know it, it's you and your imagination.

Ready? Get Set.

Go

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 347 comments Name: Jen
Entry: Dear Diary
Contest: #4

Dear Diary,

I wish I could have stopped it. I wish this nightmare would stop replaying itself in my mind, making me relive it every day. I wish I could stop the feelings of guilt bubbling out of me. I wish I could forget. I wish I had a second chance. But that’s the thing about life, wishes don’t come true and no one gets a second chance.

I sit and watch out my bedroom window as snowflakes drift down from the sky. I sit and watch out my bedroom window as the wind whips the trees around and the road turns to ice. I sit and watch wanting to get out, into the cold, winter-wonderland. I glance at my car, wishing my mother would let me drive in snow, so I could get out of this miserable prison. Suddenly, the wanting is too much to handle so I get dressed, bundle up, and grab the keys. Grab my freedom. I am careful about exiting the house for I fear I may wake somebody up. Once out of the house though I know I have succeeded. I run to my car and don’t look back. I put the key into the ignition, turn, and the car emerges from its sleep. Now I am free. Now I am gone.

I have the music on low volume as I listen to the cheery Christmas music that plays on every channel. I have no idea where I am going as I drive along the icy roads while more snow piles. All I know is that I needed to get out and prove that I didn’t need my mother always looking out for me. That I was perfectly safe without her.

As I drive, feeling the little bumps in the road as the car vibrates; I feel free, which is all I ever wanted. I am so incredibly happy, as I close my eyes and a smile spreads itself onto my lips. And of course my freedom and happiness can never be held onto for long because this is when disaster happens.

I didn’t realize closing my eyes for five second could result in such a tragedy. All I wanted was freedom. All I wanted was to prove myself to my mother. I didn’t want to hurt anyone. I didn’t want to skip a red light and skid along the ice as I tried desperately to brake. I didn’t want to slam into that shiny black car. I didn’t want to notice, in all my panic, the three little girls, singing what must have been carols, in the back seat. I hope you can understand; I didn’t want to.

You obviously know I have survived the accident, but that doesn’t mean I got out unscathed. But I want you to know everyone was okay. Though to me it seemed no one was going to get out of the crunched black car that wonderful snowy day, they all did. No longer do I drive. No longer do I drive for I am now in a wheelchair. No longer do I sit behind the wheel and cause disaster. No longer do I want my freedom because my freedom only endangers everyone else. No longer do I go against what my mother says.

Now, my days are spent inside, wishing about the things I can’t change. Where I wish I could let myself forget about that tragic accident. I wish now, as I sit and watch out my bedroom window, with snowflakes cascading down, that I never left that winter morning.

I know I cannot go back and change the past. But I can change my own future. So goodbye diary for this will be my last entry to you. My pen will never scribble my thoughts and dreams on your pages again. For once I end this letter to you I will close my eyes forever. So please diary understand I didn’t want to cause all of what happened that wintery day. Understand I am sorry for what I have done. Understand diary. Please understand.

message 3: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Wow, Jen. This is the first piee of actual writing I have ever read of yours and it's pure amazing. Very gloomy but well potrayed. You're also the first to have submitted so, great job :) I like your repeated phrases, they give sense of... in-depth to your little tale. I <3 it!

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 347 comments Thnx so much Amina!

message 5: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Welcome =D

message 6: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Oooh, something... different. It really feels real with all the '...' like she's really thinking; not knowing what to write. Though short, a very good piece. Nice diary entries.

Thanks for taking part :)

message 7: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) No, no, it's perfect. I was just saying.. :)

message 8: by Rob (new)

Rob Hood (robhood) Dear Diary,
I'm so happy! I just woke up and made it to another day!
Each morning as I arise from my bed
I'm filled with glee because I'm not dead!
A friend of mine told me she was queried whether she would like to be reborn if the opportunity was available. She reported to me that she would not like to be reborn because the world problems are so bad. I feel differently about that. I plan on living forever! So far, so good!
Well the weather here has gone back to being boring again! Last week's 6 consecutive days of 50 plus degree weather ruined all the fun! It's too bad! I'll miss falling down on the ice, heart palpitations when shoveling snow, and having my car stuck in the driveway!
Well that's all for now. I'll get back to you someday.

message 9: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) LOOL, this is by far the most realistic journal entry I've received... the other two were great for stories... but yours sounds just like a normal, boring, without-any-fun casual entry by a teenager like myself. Props to you for making it this way ;) And thanks fr participating.

Oh and you're very optimistic. :P

message 10: by Rob (new)

Rob Hood (robhood) Amina, I wish I was a teenager! I'm far past that being 70 years young!

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen | 347 comments Are we gonna vote now? I'm not sure how these contests work...