Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Recommendations > For seventh and eighth grade level books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Well, not knowing what type of books you like I can't really recommend anything. :)
But there's Shannon Hale's books.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments I don't really believe in reading level (I was always way ahead of the level for my grade) so if you tell us some stuff you do like, it would help.

message 3: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Same here, I haven't read on 'my reading level' (that i know of since 5th/6th grade. I started just picking random books off the shelves and reading them around that time. :)

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments We had to take SRIs (Scholastic Reading Inventory, I think) starting around 4th grade, which test your reading comprehension. They were the stupidest thing I have ever taken, and thankfully we no longer have to take them once we reach high school.

Genres are nice to know, but specific book-wise, what do you like? (don't say Harry Potter or Twilight, because they're not the best benchmarks)

If you like fantasy and adventure, my go-to suggestion would be Tamora Pierce. (I know I might sound repetitive, but she is one of my favorite authors, and it sounds like you might like her books)

message 5: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments We took AR tests at my elementary school, but we didn't have to read on our reading level. It was just pick a book you like, read it, then taker the test.

♫♫☺Allie☺♫♫ (alliwicious) | 1115 comments Same. I can't really recommend any books because I have no clue what reading level they are. I read pretty much any level. From children books to adult novels.

message 7: by Rose (new)

Rose (rose_b) | 330 comments I've been reading young adult since fourth grade, so I don't have any idea what reading levels are. Well, my teacher says that I'm way past the highest reading level, but that doesn't mean anything to me.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments And here I always thought I was the only one. My problem for a long time was not that they made you read at a specific reading level, but that no one expected a third grader (for example) to be at the level that I was, so there wasn't very much for me to read in the classroom.

message 9: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Hahaha, yeah. I've never been told that I can't read a specific book, which has been really nice because I've been able to read a slew of different types of books and have been able to form my own opinions on things and truly decide what I like.
And then I hear about people whose parents censor what they read and I think it's horrible. :)

♫♫☺Allie☺♫♫ (alliwicious) | 1115 comments When I was in fourth grade everybody thought it was wierd that I was at a 7th grade level! I never could find anything at my school to read. (We were supposed to read at least one book a quarter that was at our level.) It was very annoying.

message 11: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Wow. That's crazy. But I mean, I guess it makes sense.

message 13: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments I have no idea what my reading level is. :)

♫♫☺Allie☺♫♫ (alliwicious) | 1115 comments Me niether. In middle school they don't seem to care what reading level you are. :D

message 15: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Yeah, it's just an Elementary school thing. :)

♫♫☺Allie☺♫♫ (alliwicious) | 1115 comments Yeah. :P

message 17: by Kate (last edited Feb 20, 2011 01:42PM) (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Rebekah Faith*Gnome Poet* wrote: "Hahaha, yeah. I've never been told that I can't read a specific book, which has been really nice because I've been able to read a slew of different types of books and have been able to form my own opinions on things and truly decide what I like.
And then I hear about people whose parents censor what they read and I think it's horrible. :)

I know! I can't imagine if my parents told me what to/not to read. Sometimes they recommend tha I read something/hold off for a while, but that's because they think I'll get more out of it later.

message 18: by --Vans (new)

--Vans I have AR at my school, also, but my reading level goes from 4th grade books to 11th grade ones, meaning I can take a test on any book between there, so I don't have a problem with plucking random books off my shelf to read and test on (although, I don't read for points, I read to read).
Have you read Hunger Games series? Or the Uglies series? Just finished the Hunger Games ones and I've moved onto the Uglies(:

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (meowchelle7) | 150 comments I've read the Uglies series, it is one of my favorite, if not my favorite, series! I'm going to start the Hunger games in the summer, after I've gone through my to-read list.

Here at my school we don't get a choice of what to read. They assign us books and tell us to read it. o_o I've never had to know what my reading level is. Sorry Dx

message 20: by Kate (last edited Apr 13, 2011 04:43PM) (new)

Kate | 8205 comments I think you're talking about a different thing, Michelle. That's a class book, which most people have, but then there's also independent books, which may or may not be for class.

message 21: by Rose (new)

Rose (rose_b) | 330 comments Rebekah Faith*Gnome Poet* wrote: "Hahaha, yeah. I've never been told that I can't read a specific book, which has been really nice because I've been able to read a slew of different types of books and have been able to form my own ..."

I hate that! My mom doesn't care what I read.

Michelle-I remember that when we used to do those, they would have to be the level of the worst reader in our class, so that everybody could understand it. My teachers let me read something different from the class. In first grade my teacher told me to read Harry Potter.

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Yeah, in second grade, when everyone would sit on the rug for storytime, my teacher made what she called the "Group of Seven", which was a group of seven of us who were bored to tears, and had us do other, more advanced work.

message 23: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Aww! That's cool!

message 24: by Rose (new)

Rose (rose_b) | 330 comments in second grade my sister asked the teacher for more homework.

message 25: by Rose (new)

Rose (rose_b) | 330 comments I love that book! I had to read it in fifth grade for guided reading :P

message 26: by Emma (new)

Emma | 17 comments The Warrior series!!

message 27: by Rose (new)

Rose (rose_b) | 330 comments Meh.

message 28: by Emma (new)

Emma | 17 comments o___0

♫♫☺Allie☺♫♫ (alliwicious) | 1115 comments Me too. I guess it's just because I don't like cats. At all. But that's okay they don't like me either.

♫♫☺Allie☺♫♫ (alliwicious) | 1115 comments I don't know what level these are but Artemis Folw by Eoin Colfer is soooo AWESOME! I love that series.

message 31: by Rose (new)

Rose (rose_b) | 330 comments Daniel X by James Patterson is REALLY good. Fantasy/science fiction

message 32: by Maxine (new)

Maxine Mathew (maxpam93) What about the Percy Jackson series? And Artemis Fowl is a great read too.

message 33: by Caila (new)

Caila  Anderson (cailajanaee) I think no person shud be limited tu certain books becuz of the grade level.. But thats jus me.

message 34: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Try the Pendragon series. My brother and I both read them in 7th grade

message 35: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Really? I never read them, but my friend did in third grade. Then again, she was a pretty advanced reader...

message 36: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I started reading them when I was in grade 4 but me brother stole them from me and I didnt read them again till I was in 7 grade

message 38: by Adra (new)

Adra | 6 comments Adra wrote: "The Everyday Living of Children and Teens Monologues Volume II"

The e-book is currently only $1.00 on good reads.

message 39: by Julia (new)

Julia  (jeweliap) | 4 comments Hannah wrote: "Kate wrote: "I don't really believe in reading level (I was always way ahead of the level for my grade) so if you tell us some stuff you do like, it would help."

Well, you see, there's this system..."

I had to do that in 4th and 5th grade. Bleh.

message 40: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I would recommend From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

message 41: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments That's a good book.

message 42: by Rose (new)

Rose (rose_b) | 330 comments Julia wrote: "Hannah wrote: "Kate wrote: "I don't really believe in reading level (I was always way ahead of the level for my grade) so if you tell us some stuff you do like, it would help."

Well, you see, th..."

We have reading levels that are the letters of the alphabet, but the only problem with that is I got to Z in fourth grade and the teachers didn't know what to do with me. (Most kids in eighth grade aren't even Zs yet.)

Mixed up Files is a great book, but I think it's a little young for seventh and eighth.

message 43: by Ingrid (last edited Apr 16, 2011 07:28PM) (new)

Ingrid Ack. I misread the thing she said. I thought she wanted books sixth grade and below. I see now that was stupid of me. Argh. *Slaps forehead*

message 44: by Rose (new)

Rose (rose_b) | 330 comments haha its okay.

message 45: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) Maybe... The Lightning Thief? I'm an eight grader and I totally loved this series. The other must read is of course the Harry Potter series.

message 46: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid How about The Queen's Thief series starting with The Thief

message 47: by Kate (last edited May 08, 2011 05:05PM) (new)

Kate | 8205 comments That's a good suggestion. They're by Megan Whalen Turner.

message 48: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Megan Whalen Turner, actually, but close.

message 49: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Oh, wow. That's what I meant to put. I know a person named Mary Whalen, and I saw her yesterday, so yeah. Normally that is one author that I can get off the top of my head without having to make sure I'm right.

message 50: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid We all have those days.
I've been known to call Shannon Hale 'Sarah Hole' by mistake.

« previous 1