Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Different books appear as same one in my library

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob (new)

Bob (astrobob) | 6 comments Hello fellow librarians,

I am having an issue with this isbn 9780872208032

I own the following "Ethics": 9781840221190

I am trying to add the former, but it seems already added. When i look for ir in my library it seems as the latter.
I want to add both as distinct books since they are different books not the same. The only similarity is that the former contains the latter + other works.

thx in advance

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments BOB, thanks for catching this. Since they don't contain the same material, they shouldn't be combined. I've separated them now, and I'll see if there's more cleanup needed (it looks like some of those editions of "Ethics" are actually only one part of the whole).

message 3: by Bob (new)

Bob (astrobob) | 6 comments Cait wrote: "BOB, thanks for catching this. Since they don't contain the same material, they shouldn't be combined. I've separated them now, and I'll see if there's more cleanup needed (it looks like some of th..."

Indeed. thanks for doing this, but could you please inform me how you did it in case I face a similar issue in the future ?

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments You can separate editions from the same page as the one where you combine them: there's a "separate" link on each edition and there's a "separate tool" link on each book (which can be used when, for example, there are three "part 1" editions which are combined with the whole book and you want to separate just those editions into their own book).

message 5: by Carolyn (last edited Feb 16, 2011 11:44AM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments BOB, as a librarian, go into the Combine page for the book in question to see if books have been incorrectly combined with it. From what Cait said, that is what seems to be the case with your original query.

Then you can separate the books into the correct edition groups, using the 'separate' link or tool on the page.

message 6: by Bob (new)

Bob (astrobob) | 6 comments Thank you both Cait & Carolyn :D