The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > Looking for a caper / heist

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Douglas (last edited Feb 15, 2011 04:51PM) (new)

Douglas (douglascfisher) Looking for a book along the lines of the movie Ocean's Eleven. Any ideas?

message 2: by stan (new)

stan (stanthewiseman) | 141 comments Hi
How about THE ITALIAN JOB (the original)

message 3: by Merrill (new)

Merrill Heath | 61 comments Flawless

In February 2003, thieves broke into the Diamond Center in Antwerp—one of the most secure diamond facilities in the world—and absconded with merchandise worth, according to some reports, in the neighborhood of $500 million. This excellent true-crime account lays out the heist in precise detail (although some elements of the crime, such as how the crooks got through a combination-locked vault door, remain shrouded in mystery). This is an exciting and suspenseful story, and it reads like the best caper fiction, with lively characters and some surprising twists. Readers familiar with Donald E. Westlake’s Dortmunder novels will note many common elements here (except this heist itself actually works). Comparisons to Ocean’s Eleven are obvious, too, although the less-tricked-up, more procedural The Score is perhaps a more appropriate filmic companion. A must-read for true-crime fans. --David Pitt

Merrill Heath

message 4: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (douglascfisher) Thanks everyone. Now its time to do some followup looking.

message 5: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardgtalbot) I'll second the Hot Rock. Hilarious stuff.

message 6: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Loved the movie. Onto TBR it goes!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I just added part of a chapter from my thriller novel to my Author's page... see if it qualifies as a caper/heist :-) Liam www.terminalpolicy.com

message 8: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 187 comments Sorry, but I have to put a comment in these unused topics as far as I can figure out to remove them from my unread topics listing on my app. Have managed to delete them on the website but they are still unread from the app point of view. Sorry for being such a pain but no other help forthcoming in terms of getting rid of them. Katherine

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Merrill Heath (other topics)