Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Different volumes marked as editions of the same volume

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 3 comments Some volumes in a series seem to be marked as being editions of the same volume: http://www.goodreads.com/work/edition... . All of the books listed on that page are different volumes in a series.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43545 comments Mod
The authors all need fixing too.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24708 comments Fixed all those, and the other series, and all those authors too.

message 4: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 3 comments Wow, that was fast. Thanks. :)

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24708 comments :)

message 6: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments There are quite a few such instances out there; I take it volumes are all different entries, so to speak?

I have left them alone, or contributed to the problem when faced with mixed choices but I will fix them as encountered unless I hear differently.

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24708 comments Yes Miss Jessie, they were all different volumes combined together.

message 8: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments MissJessie wrote: "There are quite a few such instances out there; I take it volumes are all different entries, so to speak?"

"Volumes" are generally one of three things:

1. Pieces of one book which have been split into different parts for publication
2. Books in a series where the individual books don't have individual names (as was the case here)
3. Books in a "collected works" set

In all cases the volumes should be treated as separate books from each other, following the "only combine things with the same content" rule. If a volume has the same content as a different edition, they can be combined. So, for example, you get things like "War and Peace: Large Print Volume I" and "War and Peace: cassette 1" combined with each other but not with "War and Peace" or with "War and Peace: Large Print Volume II"; or you get "War and Peace" combined with "Tolstoy Collected Works Volume VI: War and Peace" but not with "Tolstoy Collected Works Volume VII: Anna Karenina"; or you get "War and Peace: The Manga! Volume 1" separate from "War and Peace: The Manga! Volume 2", all of which examples I have just made up. :)

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43545 comments Mod
Cait wrote: "War and Peace: The Manga!"

LOL!

message 10: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments LOL at W&P The Manga. I can just see it.

Thanks for the clear and lucid explanation as always Cait. It will improve my work.

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24708 comments Cait wrote: "War and Peace: The Manga!"

Very creative Cait! LOL.

message 12: by Carolyn (last edited Feb 16, 2011 06:22AM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Cait wrote: ""War and Peace: The Manga! Volume 1" separate from "War and Peace: The Manga! Volume 2", all of which examples I have just made up. :)

Made up? Darn! I was thinking that would be a cool read! =D

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments Cait wrote: "MissJessie wrote: "There are quite a few such instances out there; I take it volumes are all different entries, so to speak?"

"Volumes" are generally one of three things:

1. Pieces of one book w..."

Thank you so much for these examples - these were extremely vivd and helpful!