Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga, #4) Breaking Dawn discussion

The opposing point of view

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Johns Twilight Moms are encouraging all their members to write to EW and tell them how much they loved Breaking Dawn.
Those of us who did not like it may do the same; EW should have both points of view. You can write a letter to EW articulately telling them why you believe the book is a failure.

Here's the contact info for EW:

E-mail: ew_letters@ew.com

Snail: 1675 Broadway
New York, NY 10019

Shannon We're discussing this in another thread too. EW letter campaign-I just wrote to EW and told them that I supported their original review of the book.

Lori One thing I loved about Goodreads is the comments posted on these boards. "What do you think of this?" or "I would like some other thoughts about this..." I have been just sad about how the discussions have turned. It has almost turned into an all-out war against the author. Are people really no better than this? Why can't things be discussed in a mature manner? If you still have a problem with points of view, so be it. But I feel things have gotten completely out of control.

Amber Baker I agree. I really like Stephenie Meyer and I can't imagine how it must be for her to hear what people are saying. Everyone is allowed their point of view and whether or not they like something, but it seems like a lot of people are actually attacking her personally and that's terrible. I love her writing and she can tell an amazingly engrossing story. I believe that she will get better at her writing and look forward to many more books from her. I just hope that this doesn't turn her off from writing and publishing them completely. It would be pretty hard to hear all of this harsh criticism and want to put yourself out there again. Especially when this was not something she every had planned on doing anyway.

Shannon Most of us are NOT trying to hurt her feelings. However, she exposed herself to public comment as soon as she published the first book. It's the risk an artist takes.

message 6: by Leslie (last edited Aug 13, 2008 09:35PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Leslie Constructive criticism is important. I would bet SM is tough (and wealthy) enough to handle it. A lot of the negative comments should go to the editing and, probably, whoever had her rush through the book. Her publisher should have done a better job of helping her! She did too much in one year-- a focus group would have helped her come to clear up some of the issues. If nothing else, this uproar should help her grow!

message 7: by Kat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kat Helgeson You know how, when you're in kindergarten and you do a painting, no matter how it looks, the teacher and your parents exclaim over how great it is and how much they love it because they want to encourage you, give you confidence, and be a model of kindness for the other kids?

Stephenie Meyer isn't in kindergarten.