Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Could U please add another edition of this book?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H. (last edited Feb 15, 2011 12:21PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 121 comments I wonder if you might add another edition of _Ragtime_ (by E.L. Doctorow) to the ones which GR already has on record. The book has the following ISBN #: 0-8161-6306-5
It's the one I'm currently reading. I'd like my review to appear under that particular book. Thank you.

message 3: by Alice (new)

Alice Yeh (stimulatedoutlet) | 1 comments Hi Joy, if you have trouble finding a specific edition, you can try plugging the ISBN into the search. I tried that just now and came up with the same link as Ralph.

message 4: by Joy H. (last edited Feb 15, 2011 07:10PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 121 comments Hi Ralph. That's strange because it doesn't appear to be the same book even though it has the same ISBN #.

The book YOU referred me to above is described as follows at its GR page:
=========================================================
"E.L. Doctorow's Ragtime, part of Chelsea House Publishers' Bloom's Guides collection, presents concise critical excerpts from Ragtime to provide a scholarly overview of the work. This comprehensive study guide also features "The Story Behind the Story," which details the conditions under which Ragtime was written. This title also includes a short biography on Doctorow and a descriptive list of characters.
===========================================================

My edition does NOT include a study guide or any of the other "extras" mentioned in the above description (I've emboldened them above).

My edition doesn't include any of the extras at all. It's just the straight story.

message 5: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 121 comments Alice, please see my post to Ralph above.

Ralph Gallagher | 212 comments Joy H. wrote: "Hi Ralph. That's strange because it doesn't appear to be the same book even though it has the same ISBN #.

The book you referred me to above is described as follows at its GR page:
===============..."

It's possible the description came from another edition. Could also have been imported from Amazon and they're known to have screwed up descriptions. Is all the other information the same?

message 7: by Joy H. (last edited Feb 15, 2011 12:41PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 121 comments I see some other numbers above the ISBN numbers in my edition. They are:
[PZ4.D6413Rag3] - [PS3554.03] - 813'.5'4 - 75-26969

I don't know what they mean, but perhaps they will help.

My edition is large print. It says: "Published in Large Print by arrangement with Random House."

It was published by G.K.Hall & Co. 1975.

message 8: by Joy H. (last edited Feb 15, 2011 07:09PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 121 comments Ralph wrote: "It's possible the description came from another edition. Could also have been imported from Amazon and they're known to have screwed up descriptions. Is all the other information the same?"

Ralph, to answer your question, the GR description of the book you referred me to says:
====================================
"Hardcover, Large Print, 467 pages"
"Published 1975 by G. K. Hall"
===================================
So, yes, my book does have those features, in other words, it's "Hardcover, Large Print, and 467 pages" and the cover page shows that it was "published by G.K. Hall, 1975".

But otherwise the blurb doesn't match my book.

message 9: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 121 comments I think we've established that GR is showing an incorrect description for the book I've described to you above. Can anything be done about it?

message 10: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Joy, I agree. I've update the book's description with the description from Google Books; does it look correct now?

message 11: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 121 comments Cait, thank you for updating the book's description. Yes, it does look correct now.

I really appreciate your help! Thanks again.

message 12: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 121 comments PS-Just wanted to mention that the book jacket is different, but I'm not concerned with that. It was the description blurb which I mainly wanted corrected and you did that for me.

[Actually my book jacket is bright yellow and the the title and author are shown in brown letters at the bottom. Brown silhouettes of stylized people are shown above the title. But don't worry about that. I'm satisfied at this point.] (g)

message 13: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Joy, if you have/find a scan of that cover, we can create an alternate cover edition! But if you're happy as is, we're happy too. :)

message 14: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 121 comments Cait, yes, I can possibly have my husband scan the cover I have. I'll post a message here when the scan has been done. Then you can tell me what to do next.

Ooops, I just noticed that the library has placed a bar code on the front of the book, right over the center of the title (not a very good place, IMO). My husband would have to doctor it up, if he could. We'll see.

message 15: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Joy, do you see your cover here?

http://www.librarything.com/work/2523...

message 16: by Joy H. (last edited Feb 15, 2011 10:57PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 121 comments Hi Lobstergirl. No, I don't see my book cover there, even when all 45 were shown along with Amazon's 12. How disappointing!

Gee, how many different covers did they make! I guess that in 35 years (since the publishing date of 1975) they can make a lot of covers. It's a popular book, having been made into a film as well, which made it more popular.

And don't forget, this is a Large Print edition. So there probably aren't as many of them as of the other regular print editions.

message 17: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Oh well...time for the scanner.

message 18: by Joy H. (last edited Feb 17, 2011 01:03PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 121 comments My husband has scanned a copy of the bookcover in question. What do I do now?