Ling period 3 World Lit. I 2010-11 discussion

Romeo and Juliet > What is the Significance of smaller Characters?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin G | 5 comments When we see Characters such as the Nurse, Paris, or a guards such as Sampson what do we think their significance in the story is? Other than their obvious roles in the story (to be a servant of the Montagues, wet nurse etc)Why would Shakespeare put these minor roles in the Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet? What do they help us understand?

message 2: by Noga (new)

Noga | 10 comments I think that these characters are important because they shape the main characters. The nurse helps Juliet make her mind nowadays, and back then she was the one who raised her and so Juliet's personality reflects the nurse's. I think it is this way for all the other small characters

message 3: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Malamed | 11 comments I agree with Noga, the smaller characters help shape the story. A story with just a few main characters and not much of a background, could be boring. They also shape the story as Noga said. If the Sirvingman did not bring the party list to Romeo for help reading it, he would not of went to the party or met Juliet. I think every character is there for a reason.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin | 5 comments I think the significance is that they may be small characters now but one of them could help set up a climax, resolution or something. They could also have an impact on a situation or someone

message 5: by Eunsol (new)

Eunsol Baek | 8 comments I think smaller characters are very important. They are carefully placed at different scenes so that they smooth out flow of the scenes. Also, they bring out the main characters. For example, they will say something that triggers or lead the main character to do something or feel something or say something.